Sub 5 hours

Slow, steady but determined.

21 to 40 of 60,765 messages
11/10/2004 at 17:12
EP. Looks like a good plan and it does suggest the pace to run at which I like. Like Hippo I don't take too many rest days but I guess the plan is adaptable to take this into account.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/10/2004 at 17:19
yes jane
the book also explains good eating tactics and empasises (SP!) that good training includes rest days, recovery and food
in fact when he lists the key sessions he includes recovery and rest as being key

I think it could work - the lady who recommended the book (she hides on here somewhere!) said it worked

I can but try and if I have problems in the weeks leading up to the start of the plan I will find another plan!
12/10/2004 at 08:13
Well I am off to the gym this morning to do a bit of x-training and this evening I will be running with a few others, distance about 9k, pace will depend on who turns up.
12/10/2004 at 12:04
Lurking - to see how you get on Jane.
12/10/2004 at 13:26
Shades please offer comments and suggestions regarding the training. Did 45 mins CV work at the gym all at low intensity apart from the rowing machine (trying to strengthen upper body).
12/10/2004 at 15:08
mmm I'll try. Let me know the following:-

1 Your best half marathon time this year

2 How long you've been running

3 Your splits in a marathon, first half and second half.

4 When do find it hard in a marathon, what do you feel is your weakest part of the race and why (if you know, which I expect you do).
12/10/2004 at 15:51
Okay, My best half marathon time this year is 2.09.34 way back in February. Recent half marathon times 2.33 and 2.42 (not much training and coming back after injury).

I started running in 1999 and ran for about a year, took a break for 6 months and then started again so running continously for 3 years.

My splits for Loch Ness, halfway 2.39 and finished in 5.28.

For Lochaber halfway 2.25 and finished in 5.40. Wasn't use to running in the afternoon, and didn't feel right on the day.

For Abingdon 2003, 2.27 half way (I think) and finished in 5.11. My best marathon time.

I find it hard to concentrate on the correct pace throughout a marathon, it is a long way. I think if I start to fall behind too much I lose the drive to work hard at the pace and maybe give up? I find the hardest part of the marathon around 15/16 miles and once I pass 22/23 miles I tend to pick up again. It is the middle parts of most of my races that I do find the hardest. Haven't done emough marathons to know why?

I actually find training for the marathon the hardest part, if you don't get this right the marathon itself isn't going to go correctly.
12/10/2004 at 16:59
Thanks for that Jane. Your half marathon PB shows that you can improve your marathon time. But your more recent half times show that you are performing as expected in your marathons.

When I started churning out the marathons my times slowed and I went 5 years before I broke the 5 hour barrier again. I ran the IOM in 5.06 in 2002, I knew then that if I could just push myself again I could break the 5 hr barrier again. I went home and prepared a pace chart on a spreadsheet for a sub 5, carried it in my sweaty hand for my next 9 road marathons and broke 5 hours on all of them. I put that down to mental concentration not an improvement in fitness. So much of marathon running is mental strength. I also find I can't make decisions when running a marathon so I decide beforehand what I'm going to do (and it must be realistic)and then give it my best shot. Of course there will always be off days.

Sorry, got to go and back up the computer, night not be on line again until tomorrow
12/10/2004 at 17:07
Thanks Shades. I have also realised I do all of my longer runs off-road so maybe I need to do some of them on the roads to get a bit better at the constant steady pacing that marathons require.
12/10/2004 at 21:23
EP - what's the book you've mentioned? I like the sound of short and sweet.

Thanks.
12/10/2004 at 21:39
Jane - it's good you do your long runs off road, does help avoid injury and they are harder than road. But you could me missing the practice of churning out the miles at a steady pace. But you could always do that in a half marathon, by running it at your planned marathon pace. Do you get a chance to do a 20 mile race? That is really useful as marathon preparation too.

I know everyone recommends even pacing or negative splits but the majority of runners aren't able to do that. My pace charts allow for slowing in the 2nd half with a couple of miles at a really slow pace like a sort of reward! Still possible to do a PB even with a slower 2nd half.

What do you take on board in the way of fuel?
12/10/2004 at 21:49
Shades no 20 milers as far as I know in Scotland. I am planning a half marathon in November but some of that is off-road but majority on road, I will try the steady pace stategy there and try to speed up at the end.

I would say that taking on fuel is not something I do well, this is because I do suffer from the dreaded trots on ocasions and restrict milk and wheat products to control IBS. I tend to take jelly babies and sometimes fruit pastilles on my long runs and sip on water. I used to take fruit juice with me but physio says it contains too much acid and when your stomach is empty its not the ideal thing to take.

Hi Sore Toes.
12/10/2004 at 22:16
The fuel takes practice. I used to eat a Nutrigrain bar at 17 miles, plus sweets from 6 miles. I also find chocolate very helpful too, giant Smarties, Minstrels or choc buttons. I find chocolate easier on the stomach. Just a matter of finding what suits you.

From my first marathon I've suffered from stomach cramps (no trots) due to excess acid. I now take a 12 hour antacid tablet after breakfast on race day so rarely suffer now. I recommended them to a friend who was always ill after a marathon and usually had to spend race evening lying down and couldn't eat until Monday. last time we did a marathon together we both had fish and chips after the race and he felt great.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/10/2004 at 07:34
chocolate as fuel - excellent!

ST It's called 4months to a 4 hour marathon - I'll mail you the 4.45 plan if you mail me
13/10/2004 at 08:22
Thanks Shades, I will start experimenting with different types of fuel and see how the stomach reacts.

Last night did 9k in around 60 mins so not too bad, have done 54 mins in the past but I think the legs are still recovering from Loch Ness. Today I am doing 60 mins @ HR below 120, try to average 115. This evening it will be 30 min run/walk with beginners. I have a massage booked for this afternoon.
13/10/2004 at 08:49
EP - thanks for the offer - I've mailed you!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/10/2004 at 09:46
ST I've replied!
Forgot to add that jogging means 1min per mile slower than the long run pace and that cross training is anything but running!
13/10/2004 at 11:20
Pix - can you email me a copy too please? I'll email you.

Jane - blimey, you're a full time athlete!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/10/2004 at 11:22
of course shades!
then you can comment on it!
I have 9-10 weeks to get to my pace up I think!
13/10/2004 at 11:36
Running keeps me busy Shades, tried a new route today as I had to drop hubby off somewhere I don't normally go. I liked it so will do it again sometime. Very flat though so was easy to keep HR steady and low.
21 to 40 of 60,765 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.