Sub 5 hours

Slow, steady but determined.

21 to 40 of 60,643 messages
12/10/2004 at 16:59
Thanks for that Jane. Your half marathon PB shows that you can improve your marathon time. But your more recent half times show that you are performing as expected in your marathons.

When I started churning out the marathons my times slowed and I went 5 years before I broke the 5 hour barrier again. I ran the IOM in 5.06 in 2002, I knew then that if I could just push myself again I could break the 5 hr barrier again. I went home and prepared a pace chart on a spreadsheet for a sub 5, carried it in my sweaty hand for my next 9 road marathons and broke 5 hours on all of them. I put that down to mental concentration not an improvement in fitness. So much of marathon running is mental strength. I also find I can't make decisions when running a marathon so I decide beforehand what I'm going to do (and it must be realistic)and then give it my best shot. Of course there will always be off days.

Sorry, got to go and back up the computer, night not be on line again until tomorrow
12/10/2004 at 17:07
Thanks Shades. I have also realised I do all of my longer runs off-road so maybe I need to do some of them on the roads to get a bit better at the constant steady pacing that marathons require.
12/10/2004 at 21:23
EP - what's the book you've mentioned? I like the sound of short and sweet.

12/10/2004 at 21:39
Jane - it's good you do your long runs off road, does help avoid injury and they are harder than road. But you could me missing the practice of churning out the miles at a steady pace. But you could always do that in a half marathon, by running it at your planned marathon pace. Do you get a chance to do a 20 mile race? That is really useful as marathon preparation too.

I know everyone recommends even pacing or negative splits but the majority of runners aren't able to do that. My pace charts allow for slowing in the 2nd half with a couple of miles at a really slow pace like a sort of reward! Still possible to do a PB even with a slower 2nd half.

What do you take on board in the way of fuel?
12/10/2004 at 21:49
Shades no 20 milers as far as I know in Scotland. I am planning a half marathon in November but some of that is off-road but majority on road, I will try the steady pace stategy there and try to speed up at the end.

I would say that taking on fuel is not something I do well, this is because I do suffer from the dreaded trots on ocasions and restrict milk and wheat products to control IBS. I tend to take jelly babies and sometimes fruit pastilles on my long runs and sip on water. I used to take fruit juice with me but physio says it contains too much acid and when your stomach is empty its not the ideal thing to take.

Hi Sore Toes.
12/10/2004 at 22:16
The fuel takes practice. I used to eat a Nutrigrain bar at 17 miles, plus sweets from 6 miles. I also find chocolate very helpful too, giant Smarties, Minstrels or choc buttons. I find chocolate easier on the stomach. Just a matter of finding what suits you.

From my first marathon I've suffered from stomach cramps (no trots) due to excess acid. I now take a 12 hour antacid tablet after breakfast on race day so rarely suffer now. I recommended them to a friend who was always ill after a marathon and usually had to spend race evening lying down and couldn't eat until Monday. last time we did a marathon together we both had fish and chips after the race and he felt great.
13/10/2004 at 08:22
Thanks Shades, I will start experimenting with different types of fuel and see how the stomach reacts.

Last night did 9k in around 60 mins so not too bad, have done 54 mins in the past but I think the legs are still recovering from Loch Ness. Today I am doing 60 mins @ HR below 120, try to average 115. This evening it will be 30 min run/walk with beginners. I have a massage booked for this afternoon.
13/10/2004 at 08:49
EP - thanks for the offer - I've mailed you!
13/10/2004 at 11:20
Pix - can you email me a copy too please? I'll email you.

Jane - blimey, you're a full time athlete!
13/10/2004 at 11:36
Running keeps me busy Shades, tried a new route today as I had to drop hubby off somewhere I don't normally go. I liked it so will do it again sometime. Very flat though so was easy to keep HR steady and low.
13/10/2004 at 12:10
Just off to read the training plan now, thanks Pix
13/10/2004 at 14:18
Well it's different! But I wouldn't critise any training plan if that plan suits the runner and fits in with their lifestyle. We can all write the perfect plan but sticking to it is another thing.

What level of mileage/fitness are you supposed to have to start at Wk 1?

I'm amazed by the 400m reps from week 1, what period of recovery or distance of recovery are you supposed to have? And 16 x 400 is some session.

The only serious critiscm I have is that there are no races in the training programme. Would certainly advise at least on half marathon and one 20 miler before race day.

Most importantly Pix, what do you think of it? does it suit you?
13/10/2004 at 14:48
But you can do the long run pace now?

When are you starting?
13/10/2004 at 14:51
16 x 400???????????

that s just crazy!
13/10/2004 at 14:56
13/10/2004 at 15:18
I'm aiming to do sub-5 this year. Previous marathon times have been 5.33 Edinburgh (2003), 5,28 FLM (2004) and 5.30 Edinburgh (2004). My real target is 4.48...
13/10/2004 at 15:27
16 reps of 400 works out to be 4 miles if you add on about 200 meters per recovery, you could walk them, it works out at 6 miles, add on warm up and cool down another 2 miles? making 8 miles in total. Doable but a very tough session.

Hi Marathon Maz. How is the training going at the moment?

13/10/2004 at 15:31
Its going alright thanks Jane. Just done a couple of 10K recently and am working towards the Dundee 10 mile race on 7 Nov. Just trying to get four decent runs a week in at the moment and at least 3 spinfit sessions on top of that. I just plan to maintain the momentum I have built up so far and will really focus on the more intense training after Christmas.
13/10/2004 at 15:39
MM, I may see you at the Dundee 10 miler, I have yet to send off my entry form.
13/10/2004 at 16:09
Maz - why is 4.48 your real target? Just so happens that's my Pb (+ 5 seconds!)
21 to 40 of 60,643 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.