Sub 5 hours

Slow, steady but determined.

141 to 160 of 60,764 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/10/2004 at 11:21
If I get to mile 18 and it is still possible for me to do sub 5 it will be a brief pick up gel stop

if i won't make the sub 5 then I'll stop
18/10/2004 at 12:51
Not too tired this morning so it was a very slow 2 miler with a beginner and then 2 sub 11 min miles which felt okay and not too tiring.
18/10/2004 at 14:48
Nessie - you just HAVE to do it then. I will do anything within my capabilities to help you, so if you need anything just ask.
18/10/2004 at 17:22
Right, this is it!!!

I'd like to join the gang :-)

Firstly, thank you Shades for the direction to the Macmillan site. Based on my present times his calculator says I can go sub 5 so who am I to argue :-) I'm going have some fun developing my own training schedule :-)

Jane, you have a very low training HR what's your max?

I am on week 2 of the novice schedule from Heart rate training for complete idiots by John L Parker I previously completed his 4 wk 'from scratch' schedule as I am coming back from a summer of total indolence.
My plan is to follow the schedule to week 9 (ie before race prep ) which takes me nearly to Christmas. After Christmas I will probably taylor my own schedule from various sources and just slowly ramp up the long runs.
My 'easy runs' of 70% WHR are at around the 12 min mile pace at the minute but are improving all the time.
I haven't done a marathon yet, I was going to do London this year but managed to contract labyrinthitis 8 weeks before and had to pull out. If I don't get in I'm going to an alternative european marathon.

Hiya Pixel and Benz :-)
debbo    pirate
18/10/2004 at 18:00
Nessie - that's a great motivator to get your training in for a sub 5! Maybe I'll ask Bryan the Snail if I can go to the IOM if you do sub 5 too. He might fall for that.

Is mile 18 at FLM a big forum social stop then? I think if I stop I wouldn't start again, so will just have to wave or have a walk break.

Josie Jump - I've just seen you on the Lochaber thread! I'm sure lots of us will be doing that and/or London.
18/10/2004 at 18:14
Hi Josie Jump, my max HR is about 155-160 so it is fairly low. I find it a struggle to keep the HR above 150 without tiring too much so I think this is my LT level. As I am base training the formula is LT minus 30 for most of my runs. So I run at around 120 with a leeway of 5 beats either way (I do live in a hilly area) it works for me and I can run along time at this HR. I read the Parker book and he talks alot of sense.
18/10/2004 at 18:23
My max used to be 200 but I just can't manage to push it up past 187 recently. I was training at 70% WHR based on the old max but was finding it hard work. I have now dropped it down 8 beats to 147 bpm, I've got slower but am finding it easier to get the miles in.
The Parker schedule seemed to fit what I am, an out of condition runner rather than a complete beginner.
18/10/2004 at 18:24
Call me JJ :-) it's shorter :-)
18/10/2004 at 18:35
JJ
didnt you carry over your London place?
18/10/2004 at 18:45
Didn't have a place Benz, just a reasonable golden bond.
I'm getting a bit fed up with having to raise large amounts of money just to run in my closest marathon so if I don't get in I'm not bothering with golden bond.
18/10/2004 at 22:48
fair play JJ

i bet lochaber will be fab

so ive entered it as well
hey, why not
19/10/2004 at 10:44
Hello all..just back from Amsterdam too. Was aiming for 2.25, and got 2.23.33, but was shattered at the end!

Nice thing is now, if i put that time into a race time predictor thingy...for the first time its predicts a marathon at sub 5: 4.59.32.

Mind you, was so exhausted at the end of the half i cant comprehend running another 13 miles on top of it for a full marathon distance..even though i've done it before!
19/10/2004 at 10:47
There's a lot of time between now and London Tinks and a hell of a lot of miles :-) Just think, lots of people don't even start training til December!!!!

19/10/2004 at 10:58
Very true JJ, and as i've done it once i know i can do it again, but its funny how your mind prepares for the distance you are running and that only... every time i've done a half i've felt just unable to put one foot in front of the other at speed when i've finished!
19/10/2004 at 11:26
When I did my marathon training last year I found my self thinking 'oh it's an 8 miler today, goody a short one' Mad :-)
19/10/2004 at 11:54
Hi Tinks well done on your PB. how are the legs today? As JJ says you have a good few months to get the training in and increase your endurance.

I had an easy session at the gym this morning and will be running with a few others this evening.
19/10/2004 at 12:00
Hi Guys. Just thought I'd log in - I did a nice comfortable 8 mile run on Sunday. It felt good. Last night I did spinfit - excellent for the agression I had built up during the day (work is very stressful at the moment) as I pretended that with each downstroke I was sticking stiletos into my boss's groin! Tonight is running club - I actually hope we are doing a hill training session - I really enjoy those.

Jane I still haven't entered Dundee yet - I do still hope to do it. How about you?
19/10/2004 at 12:03
MM, I have entered and got my number so I will be there.
Hope your work becomes less stressful soon.
19/10/2004 at 12:05
I have filled out the form - I just need to remember to bring my chequebook!
19/10/2004 at 12:42
Thanks Jane. Legs are ok, though a good day on my feet sighseeing around Amsterdam has helped to make me pretty darn tired from the weekend! Enjoyed the race (apart from the pain..lol), running into the stadium with the Gladiator theme blaring was cool.

I have a crazy few weeks coming up including 10 days in the US working, so running will be a bit patchy, so now using the enforced 'rest' time for a bit of a diet to shift a few pounds. Then back to it.. next half in my sights in Feb 27th..so i'll go for 2.20 there. :)
141 to 160 of 60,764 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.