sub or about 4h30 hopefully

201 to 220 of 14,695 messages
30/11/2004 at 16:47
Dear All,

Just a short note to say I heard today that I'm in, so now all the training is for real - looks like I definitely need to keep this up now!

Best,

Chris
30/11/2004 at 21:02
Lo Hump
Thanks for the welcome - perhaps I'll change my picture to a sheepdog!

Stevej - looks like you're well ahead of me. I won't give up on my 4:30 target yet - I'll keep plodding for a couple of months and see where everyone is up to by then. A bit too much christmas pud might slow you down to my level....
01/12/2004 at 07:41
Congrats to all those who get/got in. I got my number last saturday but I was already in from last year (deferred entry).
01/12/2004 at 09:28
morning all,
hope everyones doing great!
Baggie.. your right dont give up on your 4.30 target, when i started running a few months ago i could only run for 2mins at a time ( felt like i could walk 1 mile quicker than run it!)i am happy with the progress i have made....but there is a long way to go, the main thing is i am enjoying it! i will have to watch that christmas pud, its easy to get carried away with it!
01/12/2004 at 22:56
Hi everyone,

I'm very nearly back to running again. Thank god, because I get such itchy feet reading about everyone else's training.
Getting new stability shoes tomorrow which should solve my knee problems. I hope it doesn't matter that I haven't kept-up my knee exercises, so boring.

Hope everyone's happy and injury-free (this thread seems to be prone to injuries!)
02/12/2004 at 07:23
Dear All,

I'm out for a run tonight and was wondering if anyone else was... The mutual guilt thing with Lo worked to get me out the door (!), i.e. I'll feel obliged to get out if I know someone else is!

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Best,

Chris
02/12/2004 at 09:15
Morning all,

I'm back at the fizz this evening - don't expect he'll let me run yet but hopefully won't be too much longer.

Chris, I can still give you a good tongue lashing if you don't get out there this evening - wouldn't want to subject you to that really so "GET YOUR @RSE OUT THE DOOR".

Good luck Banana, hope the shoes work and you'll soon be flying (well, running anyway).

Baggie (sigh) don't know that we're all ahead of you actually. When I can run it's only 11 - 12 min/miles so I too have a long way to go to manage 4.30. Never say never but plod on steadily towards your goal and see where it takes you.

I still haven't heard from FLM so can only presume that I didn't get in. I have heard from the charity though with a golden bond place offer.

Happy day to all
02/12/2004 at 09:46
Dear Lo,

Don't worry Lo, I'll be out there. My parents are coming to stay for a few days from today (always stressful) and a run will mean a break from that!

I've been meaning to ask, is anyone using a heart rate monitor, if so, what are the benefits? My brother-in-law is a sub 3.00 marathon runner and he swears by his, but I'm still using my trusty Timex stopwatch.

Would an HRM be worth getting? If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at the new Timex package which uses GPS satellites (!) to plot accurate distances and speeds, unreal what technology lets us do these days.

Best,

Chris
02/12/2004 at 10:23
morning all,

Chris, im gona be out for a run tonight(5miles) so you wont be the only one...i hope it will be warmer than last night(-2)
and very frosty,

and about HRM, i use one and i think its the best thing ive bought,mine is a timex 30lap (cant remember model but will tell you later if you want?) its not the GPS type ....because me and technology dont get on! i have found it helps keep me on track as far as slow runs and runs where i need to push harder,
02/12/2004 at 10:37
Dear Steve,

Thanks, it keeps you motivated to know someone else is out running too. I'll be doing three miles 'ish tonight which is my next step up.

I'm looking at Timex HRMs right now. Quick (and probably obvious) question: Do they all have these chest straps? The chest strap looks a little uncomfortable, I wondered if it might slip off?

Best,

Chris

02/12/2004 at 10:48
Hi Chris,

as far as i know they all have the chest straps....but im not an expert on them, as far as comfort my one is great once its on you dont even know its there, and i have not had any probs with it sliping off, i got mine from a inter net company, if you know which one you want you can get heaps of cash off through the net, if you want the name of the company i got mine from i will send it to you...there was a realy help full lady there who knew what she was talking about,

steve,
02/12/2004 at 10:50
Hi Chris, I have a timex HRM. chest strap is fine, doesn't dig, chafe or slip. Easy to use and i don't have th GPS type either.
02/12/2004 at 11:00
Hi Chris,
I've just started with a HRM -its a Polar basic one which beeps when you're outside the set limits (very embarassing if you speed up to overtake someone out for a stroll and it goes off!). Chest strap is fine - I was worried about it slipping off the first time so did it up tight but found I couldn't breathe!
Makes long runs more relaxing as I now go slower. Used it for intervals last night and found it was my legs rather than my heart that couldn't manage the pace. Must have a low lactate threshold - or just be unfit. (I'm getting all sorts of training jargon from these threads - don't know what most of it is but it keeps training interesting!) Fixed the monitor on the treadmill where I could see it for intervals - it gives you something else to focus on besides the distance counter.
Good luck
02/12/2004 at 11:02
Chris my one is model type t5c401 30 lap
and the company i got it from was

www.heartratemonitor.co.uk

they were very helpful,
i hope this helps,

steve
02/12/2004 at 11:10
Morning all. Currently 'rehearsing' the first month of the 'ultimate' sub 4.30 schedule from RW. First race on Sunday - Victory 5 in Portsmouth, then back in line with the timimg of the schedule with the Stubbington Green 10k on Jan 9th.
Have a HRM. Basic one that came free with last pair of trainers. Very good; chest strap doesnt slip; and its got an attachment for the bike. Have a good day
02/12/2004 at 11:18
Hi everyone. Hope your all ok and that the running is going ok.

Just thought I'd say hi.
02/12/2004 at 11:24
Hi Rachel,

how you doing ? good i hope !
02/12/2004 at 11:28
Fine...had a bit of a bad chest etc and been unable to run. Went out last night for 45 minutes, not nice, very cold, and very hard. Still waiting to find out if I'm in. I know by boyfriend must be as his cheque has been cashed and he didn't bequeth it but I did and mines been cashed too, so I guess I'm wait and see!!!
02/12/2004 at 11:36
hope your over the worst of it,
good luck with the results, the waiting drives you mad,im still waiting too but i do have a GB place if i need it ( i think i will )
02/12/2004 at 11:39
Hi Rachel, good to see you again. Chest infections are a pain in the @....chest aren't they? I had one two weeks back and it drove me nuts.

I haven't heard from FLM either. glad you're on the mend now.
201 to 220 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.