sub or about 4h30 hopefully

261 to 280 of 14,704 messages
08/12/2004 at 15:18
Bit northern for me ;)
08/12/2004 at 20:58
Paul A - I'm looking to do a 20 in Mids but you've chosen Ashby v Stafford.

Any reason for that ?
08/12/2004 at 23:14
1st marathon for me - wondering if 4:30 is realistic.

Only two races previously - did the RunLondon 10k in 59:48 and the GSR 10 miles in 1:42. Gradually getting faster in training. Planning to do a couple more 10ks and 2 halfs before FLM.

Will I make 4:30 - too fast - too slow?
09/12/2004 at 07:16
Derby Pob, Only that Ashby 20 is closer to home ! (15 minutes away as opposed to about 40 minutes)

I'm told that it's a tough race but what the hell, eh ? My only ambition will be to get round, hopefully without walking or stopping.
09/12/2004 at 08:41
Dear All,

Out for a 3.2 mile run last night, 33.51, legs still sore, but I'm getting there slowly.

Lo, where did you go? Hope all's well and your injuries aren't holding you back too much.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts on cross training. I've been swimming one day a week (45 minutes/60 lengths/25m pool), wondered if I should up this to two days a week.

The schedule I'm following calls for four days a week of running, and I thought I should supplement it with some cross-training. I wondered what everyone else was running - should I be aiming for five days a week of running?

Best,

Chris
09/12/2004 at 10:56
Chris, maybe you could add a recovery run of about 2 miles on one of your rest days if you feel up for it.
I would've thought that one good cross-training day a week is enough, others may differ.
I should do some swimming to help strengthen my legs/knees but with it being so cold outside I don't really feel like it. Much nicer to have a jog on the treadmill at home in the warm!

roguerunner, I'm about the same as you: first marathon, 10K of 58 mins and 1/2 marathon in 2hrs12. As marathon beginners we may not make it round in 4:30 but I think it's at least worth a try. Just have to remember that finishing it will be an achievement in itself!
09/12/2004 at 12:06
Note for Urban Princess I belong to a friendly running club based in Croydon that might be able to help you reach your goal. We have a wide range of people and abilites, including a strong female membership.

Check us out on our web site or drop me an email. Club web site: Striders
09/12/2004 at 13:40
Got my rejection pack yesterday, boo hoo!! Although the rain jacket is nice...lets just hope that I get a charity place, I really want to run and raise money for CwL.

09/12/2004 at 17:54
roguerunner/bananna et al. You may find this useful...

I did my first Marathon in January in 4:27. My goal was sub 4:30 so I made it. I was running in hot conditions and this may have added say 15 minutes to my time according to the pundits.

So assume I could have done 4:15 in UK conditions. My half pb was 1:47 2 years before and my most recent half 6 months before was 1:52.

I followed the RW standard plan doing up to 20m long run 3 weeks before.

Looking at your recent times I would say 4:30 is possible, but make sure you follow the plan! Focus on miles and endurance, speed can wait for your second Marathon.

Happy running and good luck.
10/12/2004 at 12:10
Cheers trinirunner, I realise it is a bit of a long shot but I'm willing to give it a go. One of the main reasons why is that I didn't want to follow the RW beginner's schedule as I feel I'm a bit beyond that, but if I don't get 4:30 on the day I won't be disappointed at all. I do plan to follow the schedule very closely!

Did 17mins on treadmill this morning, and no pain whatsoever in either knee so that's good news!

Rachel, I called the FLM people yesterday and they said I didn't get in either. Am hoping for a GB place with The Prostate Cancer Charity. With any luck, people will be put off by the huge minimum required (2000) so I'll easily get a place!
11/12/2004 at 10:22
Well I'm clothed in rejection this morning, nice jacket though. Also have a stinking cold so feeling very sorry for myself. Think I'll just go back to bed with some birthday cake (it was my 21st yesterday).

Hope everyone else is well and getting into the christmas spirit!
11/12/2004 at 15:47
Aaaahhh Mmwwwahhh,a belated happy birthday Bananna and I sending you lots of cyber ((((((Bananna)))))) and XXXXXXX. You kept that quiet didn't you. There's thread over 300 messages long which I started called "When's your birthday" and I'll add you name to it. You share it was two others.Any way get well soon.
13/12/2004 at 10:51
Morning all, happy belated birthday Banana - hope you feel better today?

Chris, injuries definitely holding me back - beginning to wonder why i'm even thinking about FLM - hoping to start the Hal Higdon plan this week but will probably have to start with just walking to try to strengthen my calves a bit - at least it'll be time on my feet even if not jogging! bah humbug. Glad to see you're still going strong though - well done and keep it up.

Must dash - it's been so hectic at work that I just don't have time to forum lately - happy training all - will pop in again in a few days hopefully.

x
13/12/2004 at 12:46
Thanks stylish and jingle hump. I'm much better today, still got a cough but I'm going to do my "long" run of 2 miles that I couldn't do yesterday.

Might do some xmas shopping too...
13/12/2004 at 13:50
Latest from me : Turkey Trot 1/2 marathon yesterday was interesting ! Must have done the first 10 miles too quickly since I was heading for the best time in a decade ! Got a stitch at 9 miles but ran through it but the hill just before 11 miles got me : had to walk it and both subsequent hills, bringing my time down to "normal" levels for me - but still managed a Season's Best in 2.07.30 (approx)! An achievement, even if not achieved in conventional manner !
13/12/2004 at 13:52
Well done,Paul. I also belong to the 'Run until your eye-balls are about to jump out, and then hang on until the end' school of running! Pace judgement was never my thang!
13/12/2004 at 18:22
Thanks Trinirunner.

I'm following the realrunner.com beginner's plan. Now on week 7. Running 5 days per week. It moves onto a 4 hour long run in week 20. So far so good.
14/12/2004 at 16:23
Well done Paul. You don't need to be great at pacing when there are RW pacers to guide you in the real thing!
16/12/2004 at 21:53
Thought I better post to stop the thread slipping down the pages!
Not much news, did a 10min jog today and got very muddy after deciding to abandon the treadmill for a change!
16/12/2004 at 22:12
Hi Bananna, ive only ever been on a treadmill once, last saturday at the run 4 it shop in aberdeen, i found it very hard to run on, i know you must get use to it after a time,but i think i will stick with the paths, i was out for 1 hour tonight, cold and very windy here,
261 to 280 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.