sub or about 4h30 hopefully

321 to 340 of 14,695 messages
03/01/2005 at 17:20
Evening all and Happy New Year (better late than never eh?)

I did a 5 miler yesterday and actually managed to run it all - excellent! Catch you all later in the week so have a good week all.
03/01/2005 at 17:23
A quick Hello and introduction to All from a new member. Managed to get a Golden bond (charity) place for the FLM which will be my first marathon. Started running last summer and did the Liverpool 10K (about 0:53) and the Llandudno 10M (1:23 ish). Looking at the various predictors I should be aiming at around 4:20 but I've never run further than about 12 miles so it's all new territory. Signed up for the weekly email training plan so I'll be aiming to follow the sub 4:30 schedule. Good cheer to All!
03/01/2005 at 20:11
Have been following the 'ultimate' sub 4.30 plan from this website for a while, and repeated the first month a couple of times. Target 10k this coming weekend. Chomping at the bit to get into the plan proper.Past times and plans are similar to yours,Filippo
CJS
05/01/2005 at 12:12
Hi, i am not doing FLM on 17 April but am running another marathon on 13 April and training for sub 4:30, so hope it's ok to use this thread.
05/01/2005 at 13:56
Successful run this morning, 3 miles and only slight niggles in my knee for the first 1/2 a mile. It felt a bit strange for my fitness to be the limiting factor in my running, as its been my knees for so long. Pleasantly surprised.
Hi Cait, what marathon are you doing?
CJS
05/01/2005 at 14:24
Hi Bananna. I'm doing a marathon at the North Pole - really looking forward to it.

I did FLM 2 years ago and was training for it last year again but had to drop out 3 weeks before due to injury. It's a really great marathon to do and the spectators gets you through the tough bits - however, I don't think there will be too many spectators at the North Pole!!!
CJS
05/01/2005 at 14:37
Bananna - just read your posting about orthotics. When i got my new orthotics, they also felt like the arches were too high for me and gave me a few niggles and blisters. I thought they weren't right for me but it just took time to get used to them. When i run in them now, i don't even feel like i'm wearing any
06/01/2005 at 20:29
Cait-My knee pain has improved dramatically over the last few runs, virtually zero pain today on a steady 2-miler. However, I am getting the most almighty blisters! I hope, like you, I'll grow out of it. It's pretty painful at the mo but I'm running through it nonetheless.

I have the utmost respect for you for doing a marathon at the north pole, not sure I'd ever be that brave. Hope your training is going well. What sort of schedule are you following?
CJS
07/01/2005 at 08:55
Hi Bananna, I'm following one of the schedules the organisers recommended. However, it is basically similar to a sub 4:30 schedule. It unlikely i will finish under 4:30 though as the conditions at the pole will be extreme and everything depends on the day. The winner last year ran 3:43 and the winner the year before ran 5:02 - i think in normal marathons they can run under 2:30. I will also have to wear snow shoes over my running shoes (which are similar to tennis rackets).

i am experiencing shin splints at the minute - well i hope it's that and nothing more serious. I didnt have time to stretch or ice last night after my run and am raging with myself as it now worse today, and i've a 10-miler tomorrow to do.

The things we do for so called enjoyment....
07/01/2005 at 09:52
Hello to you all and a happy new year of running and good health.
I am hoping to run under 4 and a half hours at Paris in April-a week before FLM.
Anyone doing Paris as well?
Unfortunately, due to work schedule and a distinct lack of friends and family who run, I am having to train pretty much on my own. Will appreciate contact with anyone in the North London area for the occasional 'buddy' run.

Happy Running!
07/01/2005 at 12:51
Bananna - I have had orthotics for around 6 months - mine are 3/4 length and I find I have trouble at the uncovered end where I have no protection as I have taken the insole out. This results in my toes and balls of my feet aching throughout my run. Are yours the same, did you have any advice from podiatrist on this - I have tried wearing a boots comfort insole to no avail.

I will appreciate anyones advice - as I can not step up the mileage at present
09/01/2005 at 17:13
Really chuffed today - did 10 mile PB in 82 mins in the Glos 10.

Very little pain in my foot as I purchased a flat pair of sorbothane insoles yesterday .

Hopefully on track for London now. Well done to Happy Running on her performance today
09/01/2005 at 17:30
Hi all,

Did my 9 miler today - bl**dy cream crakcered and found it really hard going but at least i did it. 12 min/mile so not ready for London yet but hopefully that will pick up soon.
09/01/2005 at 18:15
12 mile LSD for me. Same route and group as last week only it felt easier this week.

Racing next week, nice short 12k!

Hefty, it will get easier and well done.
CJS
10/01/2005 at 09:52
Bananna - 4got to say on last post about orthotics. I bot a thin pair of insoles to cover orthotic which helps prevent blisters etc.
10/01/2005 at 13:11
Undulating, I too have taken out the insoles in my shoes but I don't any pain in toes or balls of feet, just blisters on my arches. Although I do wear two pairs of socks (with the orthotics in between). I know it sounds a bit strange but I tried every other combination and that was most comfortable.
Cait, I tried putting the original shoe insoles over the orthotics but it wasn't very comfortable and I thought that it probably defeated the point of having custom-made orthotics if you put another insole over them because they won't fit in quite the same way.
Been to a trailplus marathon training camp this weekend and it's fired me up for the marathon. I've changed my schedule, and am determined to get my hydration, diet, stretching and training just right. Look out London!
10/01/2005 at 13:38
B..I went on a Trailplus weekend last year, it changed my whole outlook on my running. I have incorporated the Treshold sessions in this year's training.
10/01/2005 at 16:43
Dips, I completely agree. They kept telling us that we were athletes and that actually really helped because it gives you confidence and makes you want to do everything properly and not take short-cuts. I was totally convinced by the threshold sessions so I'm now going to follow Keith's beginners schedule in the new RW magazine. He made me see how the older RW schedules are completely out of date.
10/01/2005 at 16:58
Yep, I'm following the improvers, with a few tweaks to fit in with the other things in life.
10/01/2005 at 19:12
Hi Dips and Bananna
Where do i find out about Trailplus weekends?
Thanks Mark
321 to 340 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.