sub or about 4h30 hopefully

21 to 40 of 14,695 messages
27/09/2004 at 12:26
Constant self-analysis is the bane of all marathoners, TG!!
Paul, dont worry about your recent form being a gauge for next April. The danger in doing that is you may over-compensate in training, and put yourself back to square one when the real FLM training starts.
I'm still logging minutes, rather than miles, but trying to focus on the fact, that April 17th is the target. Any good or bad races before then, are only a part of the journey
27/09/2004 at 14:45
agree with above! Once "real" marathon training begins, the programmes printed in RW have good speedwork sessions to help guage progress, and also time targets for distance runs so you get more of a feel for it. Its generally a 16 week countdown, so be aware not to pick up any injuries before then!

For what its worth, I did a 1:59:57 half the October before my full FLM in 2003, followed by 1:56 WITH rw pacer in March 2003, then FLM in 4:39:27. However, I know a number of peeps with Half mara times of around 2:15 who managed 4:30 - 4:40 in full marathon so just keep at it for now with the 4:30 as the goal!
27/09/2004 at 14:55
That's good advice happyrunning - it's all down to the conditions on the day - including how the runner feels.

I haev an achilles injury at the moment so haven't been out for a week and don't expect to be out running for a good 4 - 5 weeks yet but we'll see. Never say never right and it just may be ok - there's still time.
28/09/2004 at 15:15
I agree with happyrunning. I ran 5.09 in 2002 and stepped up my training for 2003. Despite managing a 1.56 half marathon one month before, i still only managed 4.44 on the day. Disappointed,I made the REALLY big mistake of trying to get ahead of things for this years FLM and crashed and burned in January with glandular fever, resulting in inflammed heart muscle, I was told that this had happened as I had overtrained and suppressed my immunity too much.
There are so many influencing factors on the day that can change things no matter how prepared you are. Despite all the above I would like to get sub 4.30 with my deferred entry in 2005, but I will follow the training programme and not try and be clever like last time. If thingss go right on the day and I get sub 4.30-brilliant! if not, then hey! I will still have ran 26.2 miles which is a lot more than many people ever do
28/09/2004 at 17:36
Plenty of time Lo Hump !

Billie, I remember your posts pre 2003 FLM! I'd be delighted to get sub 4:30 this time, IF I get in, but totally agree, to complete it is such a great feeling that as long as I get to the finish line I'll be very happy! Anything can happen on the day!

Have since got a half mara pb of 1:52, but that was with lots of hard work and finding it impossible to keep up the level of training required to maintain that. Doing half at end October, and expecting 1:55 ish which with current training levels would be delighted with!
28/09/2004 at 18:28
happyrunning, I too remember your posts back then- you always give sound advice
Havent been on the threads at all until a couple of weeks ago. Couldnt bear to read them around the time of FLM this year.
To be honest I never thought I'd be given the all clear to run again

Lo Hump- dont lose heart, and as you say "never say never" I have learned that this year

Normski- how right you are about self analysis!!

Started back running in July, ran a 10k PB of 51.37 2 weeks ago and completed the great north half marathon with my husband on sunday in 1.58 ( too many bodies to dodge past).
I'd love to sneak in under 1.50 for half marathon and 4.30 for a marathon. I am taking things sensibly and slowly,
I know its easy to say " I am happy to get round a marathon" but I think secretly we all have secret goals we want to achieve. I guess its just learning to accept it and not be too disappointed if we dont always reach them.
26.2 miles is unknown territory for a lot of people, and when considering times for FLM 2005 its far to early to gauge an expected finishing time. There are a lot of miles to be run between now and then. Personally I feel its not until you start increasing the long runs to 16 , 18 miles plus, that you can even begin to understand how it'll feel on the day
29/09/2004 at 20:08
Hi, london will be my first marathon and im aiming for sub 4.30 or somewhere around there. is that a bit too ambitious if ive been running for about a year but not done more than 10k yet? any advice on increasing my mileage without getting injured?
30/09/2004 at 07:56
Cat, I'd just say stick to the RW prog for the target time, and don't start too soon. try for a late Autumn half if you can, following a prog for that, then if you get in pick up FLM training prog from there - Its usually 16 wk countdown, so with it being slightly later in April this time I think that may even allow for enjoying Christmas and New Year to the full!!

Billie, same goals, v similair times, I too dream of 1:49:59 half (!), but can't get rid of those last 2 mins!! Broke my arm recently so training is less than should be for Autumn half so only expecting to get round under 2 hrs this time!
30/09/2004 at 10:27
Hello peeps, thank you for the encouragement - I find it really helps when having those 'why me' days!!

It's great reading about other peoples experiences and feelings about their marathons. I ran my first (and only to date) marathon in 2003 - FLM. I set a time of 4.30 - 5 hours but it took me 6 in the end. I had a calf injury 6 weeks prior to the day and didn't get any training in at all. On the morning of the FLM I had managed to get a chest infection so a large part of the race was walking! Still - I raised £1700 for charity and it was still a pb.

This time i aim to do it properly and as soon as this injury is healed i'm gonna get back out there and train. Hopefully i'll get round quicker than 6 hours!!!

Billie - you're an inspiration, thanks for sharing your story.

Happy - keep posting that sound advice Billie mentioned - it really helps.

Have a good day all
30/09/2004 at 11:17
thanks for the advice happy running, its good to know i can probably achieve my target, and there are people out there who have done it before and can help!
30/09/2004 at 11:42
yikes! I know nothing really! I need to give myself some advice as am v stressed about not fitting a long run in this week! Exhausted and busy!

Just did 6 miles, but haven't got time for the 12 I wanted to do!
30/09/2004 at 11:46
Awww Happy - taking a step back occassionally won't hurt (so I've read anyway!) - fit in that long run at the beginning of next week instead.
04/10/2004 at 15:44
Just posted my application at lunch time! I have a golden bond place just in case, but it would be nice to get in through the ballot.

I'm also seeing an osteopath tomorrow night for my right foot. I told them on the phone that I wanted to catch the problem early for FLM, so I am hoping it will be nothing serious. That said, I haven't run since last Weds. :(

How's everyone else doing?
04/10/2004 at 22:50
Ok, I am going to take the plunge and predict a sub 4.30...or wish for anyway!

If I get in this will be my third.

I ran 2003 in 5.40 not really knowing what to expect but hoping for a sub 5. Stopped at the loo twice, had a couple of walk breaks and chatted to a couple of friends....so not surprising it took another 40mins really. Looking back neither my training or run were very focussed or streamlined.

This year I planned by schedule better, went on a Trailplus Marathon training weekend and put the learning into practice. I hoped for a sub 4.45 and came in 4.56, ran all the way. No loo stops and kept with the 11min mile pacer until around 17 miles when he seem to go off on turbo charge and I flagged into my darkess moments!

I am getting used to running outside of my comfort zone now, so lets hope a sub 4.30 is not an impossible dream!
05/10/2004 at 08:51
I'm not doing very well at the moment as i have an achilles injury. No running for 2 weeks so far and i'm about to start strengthening exercises so we'll see how it goes.

I originally wanted to do it in 4.30 but doubt very much i'll achieve that now - still, never say never eh? I'll wait and see how it goes.
05/10/2004 at 13:50
hey........its ages away yet! The training programme won't even begin 'til New Years Day! Rest, recover from injuries, then just build up general fitness until approx 20 miles/ week is reasonably comfortable. Thats plenty of base to then build on for sub 4:30 training. Remember - LOADS of people manage 5:30-6:30 having NEVER ran in their lives before starting training! Don't panic!
05/10/2004 at 13:56
Phew - thanks Happy, I needed that reminder.

I was one of those people in 2003 - it took me 6 hours!
05/10/2004 at 14:34
At the end of the day, it's about finishing. As previously mentioned, there are THOUSANDS of lard-arses out there that can only DREAM of emulating your achievement.
In years to come when asked if you know anything about this marathon lark on April 17th 2005, you'll be able to say with pride, as you clutch that well worn, well deserved medal-'2005?, Yeah I was there!'
05/10/2004 at 14:37
At least i'll remember it which is more than i can say for most of my birthdays (that's due to age not drink peeps)!
05/10/2004 at 16:58
Reading all this has made me feel better. I've got an IT injury and have been told to rest for 2-3 weeks. Nothing serious I'm told, just lots of stretching and strenghening needed. I was worrying that it would really set me back, I'm aiming for 4.30 or there abouts, I've managed one half in 2.16 so I hoped in 6 months I might be able to double it!
21 to 40 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.