sub or about 4h30 hopefully

381 to 400 of 14,695 messages
24/01/2005 at 17:14
Hi everyone I did 11 miles yesterday and I was knackered last night and for most of today.

Don't know how I'm going to be in a few weeks when the mileage get up further!!!!!
24/01/2005 at 17:23
Stylish...I aim to be a good stretcher...never quite get there! ;-(

I do have new shoes now though and have been physioed with Sports Massage booked for tomorrow.

Managed 12.3 with the training group yesterday. Hedious run though, too much mud and windy.
24/01/2005 at 18:55
Hi
All not posted for last two weeks as I have been injured and naffed off. Physio says I have ligament damage in my foot but has told me to do some light training over next two weeks as I have also had my orthotics changed.

Very jealous of you 90 minute runners bit hope to be joining you soon - roll on Feb
Undulating
24/01/2005 at 19:53
Cait, I don't know whether you remember but I think we may have similar problems re shin splints (but mine has resolved a lot) - you mentioned about cycling at the gym, have you ever tried spinning? I found this a fantastic way to keep up my aerobic fitness when I couldn't run. It is certainly the closest I've come to the feeling of having had a hard run - although I suppose it does depend on who takes the class!
24/01/2005 at 19:58
Pansie, I'm following (well trying to anyway) Hal Higden's marathon schedule. It's quite interesting really as there are no speed runs for the intermediate I that I'm doing. I know you were asking whether 11 minute miling was too slow, well, according to Hal that's exactly what you should be doing. According to him you should be running around 45-90 seconds slower in your long runs than your marathon pace! I struggle with this as I can't quite believe that can be the case. Yesterday I did 7 miles at 9.45 and today really struggled to do 14 at 10.30. I'm hoping the cold bath I had helped! Perhaps other people can back up Hal Higden's views on the pace of the long slow run?
24/01/2005 at 20:12
Slowlegs, if you look back a page or two, Dips has been saying that long runs should be nice and slow. And I whole-heartedly agree. Imagine them as endurance runs rather than lung-bursting fitness runs.

Stylish, fingers crossed for that job. Hope your Dad's operation goes well too. Recovery weeks are a benefit to your training schedule. You should have one every 4 weeks or something. So don't worry about that, you can build it in no probs.

Pansie, I wish I had a running partner to slow me down! As it is I have to look at my HRM every 5 seconds to check I haven't sped up to normal steady run pace.

Can't remember who said it now (sorry) but I don't think anyone needs to worry about the length of their longest run. If you plod about 3 hours that should be fine. 17/18 miles is apparently ideal for a longest run (again this is the marathon trail camp's advice).
24/01/2005 at 20:43
Bananna, thanks for that, I just find it difficult to stick to. I think that's the good thing about the Hal Higden plan, running about 7 miles at pace the day before the long run. He claims this tires you out a little so you can't run faster even if you want to! It certainly worked for me today!
25/01/2005 at 07:58
I usually do my Treshold session on a Saturday and then my long run on Sunday. As recommended by Keith Anderson, so there is truth in the theory.

25/01/2005 at 08:34
Well, I actually feel okay today after my mammoth 2 days run (7 on Sunday and 14 yesterday). It could be down to the cold bath I had afterwards! I think I'm going to have to accept that I'll have to have one after every long run. Certainly, my legs are hardly stiff at all where usually I would be struggling especially the morning after.
25/01/2005 at 10:04
I'm in admiration at all of you who are following training schedules.

I find that I just can't (won't ?) do it.

My running week means that I don't run at all on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Thursdays is therefore a short run - to get going again.
Friday's distance depends on whether I have a race on Sunday - as does Saturday training.
Mondays I'm usually too tired after the race !
If no race, I try to get at least one longer run in at the weekend.
So all I seem to be doing are gentle short runs and - gentle long runs !
I'm going to try to start using my Heart Monitor to get some threshold/tempo runs in.
Ah well !
CJS
25/01/2005 at 10:56
slowlegs - think I'll go to a spinning class and give it a try if I can find a local one tonight.

I am going to start back at running tomorrow again as well to see how it goes with the shins.
25/01/2005 at 11:50
Paul - at the end of the day you've just to do your best. Do you have to race on Sunday? Maybe you have to prioritise what you're doing. Plenty of people have done marathons with just 3 runs - a long slow one, a mid-length slow one and a shorter faster one. I think it's more difficult but it is certainly possible. There is still a lot of time left yet to get stuck into schedules - good luck.
25/01/2005 at 14:51
Thanks for the encouragement ; I did the FLM in 2001 but was disappointed when I had to walk quite a lot of the second half. Still finished in 5:08 but looking to do 4:30 this time - thus this thread which I started a long time ago ! I find that the races get me out of the house more easily - more motivating. Anyway I'm hoping for a good hour, if not more, this weekend
25/01/2005 at 17:41
Hello sub 4:30 people. Can I join you?

I've managed to get a club place for FLM. Previous marathon best is 4:55, but my training for that was pants as I had lots of injury problems, so I'm hoping to go under 4:30 this time. Managed 2:07 at the Brass Monkey Half on Sunday so according to the magic formula (double your half time and add 20 minutes) I'm almost there....

(that's the theory anyway)
25/01/2005 at 18:33
Sounds good to me Norma!

I'm frustrated because I've had a long day and really wanted to go to the gym to do my threshold session before dinner but my tutor kept me for so long that I couldn't. Will have to go after dinner-bloated or not!

Paul, if you run Thursday through to Sunday then that's 4 runs a week which is fine. You'll probably be in a wheelchair from Monday to Wednesday but they say no pain no gain! Seriously though, I agree with slowlegs that if you can put in 3 quality sessions (definitely a fast one somewhere) then you'll be fine.
25/01/2005 at 19:17
Hi All,

Keep reading this and the Sub 4hr thread so thought I'd join in. I've got a ballot place and this will be my first Marathon, I'm following the RW Ultimate Marathon Sub-4:30 schedule and all is going ok at the moment......

Mark
26/01/2005 at 07:57
Norma, I'm about on a par with you. half PB 2.05 and last marathon 4.56.

Unlike you my training seems to be going downhill this year. Feeling a like demorilised at the moment.
26/01/2005 at 08:05
Hi Dips

Don't be demoralised - there's still heaps of time yet. How long ago was your 2:05 half compared to the 4:56 marathon?
CJS
26/01/2005 at 10:05
Hi All - don't worry about not achieving your marathon time on the day or your training got going to schedule - that's just life! In my first London marathon, I wanted to do under 4hrs, blew up at mile 18, and came in at 5:03. I was so disappointed -I spent the whole time going back over my training and my mile lap times on the day and trying to work out where I went wrong. It took me about 3 weeks to actually cop myself on and realise what a great achievement I had actually made by finishing a marathon when most others could not even run to the end of the road.

From then on I made a decision that in all future marathons, I'd just enjoy the atmosphere and keep reminding myself how incredibly lucky I am to be able to run at all.

Apparently, if you can run an 11-minute mile, you are at the top 1% of the population. Therefore guys, we are all the cream of the crop in this forum, so (as John Bingham says) waddle on folks.
26/01/2005 at 14:08
Sorry about your foot Undulating - be careful!

I'm following HH Int 1 prog too - like the idea of the two weekend runs - be interesting to see if it pays off on the day!
381 to 400 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.