sub or about 4h30 hopefully

7,321 to 7,340 of 14,695 messages
24/03/2009 at 10:25

I am now aiming to get around rather than under sub 4.30 which I had originally hoped for. I've had anything but a smooth training run up to now and my longest run so far is 14/15. This is starting to panic me slightly especially seeing all the posts on here about 18/20 mile runs...

I've now picked up a slight strain in my soleus muscle... my physio has said its nothing serious and said I could run last Sunday (it happened last Wed) but with 3 miles gone and lots of twinges I pulled out for fear of making it worse. Its fine to walk on and I'm stretching regularly etc... I get the odd twinge but apart from that its not particularly painful. I've got another massage tonight to see how its coming along... 

I'm supposed to be going Cranleigh 21 this Sunday and am worried if I dont get a 17/18 mile in this weekend that I wont be able to get around FLM. 

24/03/2009 at 10:48

Ruth - all of this is my opinion only - am sure others will be along shortly with their input too so see what you think?

you have run a 15 miler already. this is far enough for your body to be adapting to what you will be asking of it on marathon day. any run between 2 and 3 hours will help you prepare.

20 miles is seen by many as a key distance to get under your belt. this is purely psychological. physiologically, anything above about 12 helps get you ready.

So.... while I understand your worry, I would say whether you run 12, 14, 18 or 21 miles this weekend will not make or break your marathon day. BUT - if you do make your injury worse at this stage then it could throw the whole thing out.

Personally? I'd aim for 12-15 ish - very slow - and see how you get on? maybe do loops near home so you can add some on if you feel strong?

All about positive thinking. YOU CAN DO THIS.

24/03/2009 at 11:25

Ruth, in my limited experience of marathon running I agree with Gladrags.  Anything beyond 15/16 miles is largely mental grit.  If you think positively and take it easy on race day you'll get round.  Are you doing plenty of RICE on that calf muscle?  That should speed up recovery, and if your physio says it's nothing too much too worry about, s/he's probably right!  I'm not tapering yet and don't think many people will be for a couple more weeks so you have plenty of time to fit in some quality running, don't worry.  Saying that, it's not a time to start pushing yourself - think of it as ticking over what you've already built up with a 14/15 miler and defnitely don't try and run too much more than that this weekend.

Anyone else have other ideas?

24/03/2009 at 11:32

Hi Parkie - so sorry you've had troubles. I'm sure you'll be fine on the day though.

Wotsit - eek to 200g carbs on race morning...  I always feel so sick with excitement it's a struggle to get a small bowl of porridge down.  Guess I'm going to have to try that before my next long run and hope there are no stomach issues....

Redhead - poor you, what a nightmare and very bad timing.  I was once hit by a swearing man (I was stationary, he was reversing but he claimed it was the other way round) on the way to a job interview.  I used it as an example of how I coped under pressure though when the interviewers asked... I didn't get the job

24/03/2009 at 12:40
Redhead- So sorry to hear about your trauma's - all you needed was a sweaty stranger coming and introducing themselves at the finish. Anyway if it helps you looked good and glad you had a god run. Hpe your FIL imporves. I had car crash last year and it is the pits - worst bit is the aftermath of sorting it all out! Anyway running will keep you sane
24/03/2009 at 13:56

Thanks for the advice everyone, its reassuring to hear other peoples take on it. I'm going to see what the physio says tonight and go from there...

Intend to do a bit of bike work tonight and some light stretching... With regards to Cranleigh there are two distances... 15 and 21. So if the calf is ok to run on by then I'll take it very slow and see how far I get...

Will keep you updated, and yes I'm positive thinking!!   I'll get around whether it takes me 4.30 or 14.. haha! 

24/03/2009 at 14:56

Hello all...

hello Wotsit -  thanks for the advice - I also take ibuprofen before I go for a long run - 400mg is 2 nurofen right?also - works wonders if I apply ibuprofen gel to my shins at night - really helps with the shin splints.Birdypie - gonna do exactly what you said - even if I can't run as far as I want - at least keep on my feet for 2:30 - 3hrs.Nikster - sorry to hear about your Achilles - sounds like we'll be supporting each other round the amount of money our physios have made out of each other must be loads!!!!IIs anyone taking their mobile when they run round? - this is normal right?
24/03/2009 at 15:09

Ruth - keep it up - am sure all will be fine!

Parkie - agree on the physios - am considering a career change! - i won't be taking my mobile as like to travel light, but it is pretty common - lots of people taking photos last year. reception at the end of the race is pretty bad though...

off to lanzarote tomorrow - would like to be able to say for some warm weather training but in reality it's just our family holiday! i will take my gear with me so a few early morning runs on the promenade i reckon! coming back just in time for the kingston 16. anyone else doing it?

24/03/2009 at 15:22

Not sure whether I'll take my mobile phone although likewise I have heard of people taking pictures along the way.

Parkie - too true about the physios. I've had 3 appointments in the last week now. Haha. I hope your injury clears up soon too. I might try taking some ibuprofen before my long run at the weekend... never tried that before. 

Thanks Gladrags, I hope you have a good time in Lanzarote!  

24/03/2009 at 15:40
Have a good one Gladrags!!
24/03/2009 at 16:05

In anticipation of my physio visit this morning I shaved my legs and applied a lovely body lotion for my gorgeous physio.  Well extremely disappointed, he didn't even ask me to take my kit off !  He just put some inserts into my shoes to lift my heel (sort of knew thats what he would do) and he sent me on my way.  He seems to think it will ease over the next couple of days.  I trust him (well I would do seeing as I fancy him....and me a married woman )

He did give me £10 for my charity though.  Makes a change to come out of the physios room with more money than I went in with.  He says I'm doing everything right, heel drop stretches, calf and hamstring stretches.  Although its very painful I'm not too worried (yet!)

Have a fab holiday Gladrags.  Perfect timing for a holiday. 

I'll be taking my mobile but will have it on mute.  When I did my first marathon my husband called me when I was struggling along embankment to ask how long I was going to be because the kids were hungry!!!! 

Redhead so proud of you for doing Hastings after the awful time you had in the run up.  I would have turned round and gone home.  I hope everything is ok with your family.

24/03/2009 at 20:32

Nikster - fingers crossed for you with your achilles problem. I suffer from that as well and missed last years Great North Run because of a last minute flare up. Sounds like you are doing all the right things though, so lets hope it doesn't cause you any more problems. Great that you got money out of your physio as well - well done!!

Readhead, sounds like you have had a hectic few days. Well done at Hasting, hope your father in law is feeling better.
24/03/2009 at 20:39
Evening all,

Thanks for the good wishes.

Just read back and there's been some fab training going on! Special mention has to go to Fran for doing Hastings in 2 hours - now that is very good and you'll defo get sub 4:30 you little star.

Welcome to all the newbies. It's lovely to share in your adventure

Well done to everyone who's managed their long runs and to those struggling please try not to worry. As people have said already, as long as you have a longish run under your belt (14 or 15 is adequate) then the atmosphere, the crowd, other runners and your own determination will get you round FLM.

Just remember that if you believe you can do it then you will get round, whereas if you believe you can't do it then you probably won't. The mind is a very powerful tool in distance running.

I'm getting really excited for you all and feeling rather jealous.

Gladrags, hope you have a lovely relaxing holiday.

Ruth, most people take their phones with them as its a great way to record the atmosphere and it can be very comforting to hear a friendly voice if you've hit a tough patch.
24/03/2009 at 20:53

Hi everyone,

Redhead - poor you, what a horrid thing to happen!! Hope things better

Ruth - i agree with everyone regarding the long run, I am no expert and a complete beginner and was only ever going to get up to 15 but have been lucky and managed the 20. I am suffering today though and had all intentions to go out tonight but got home and went under the duvet immediately with my work clothes still on!! Is this normal, felt completely drained and shattered.

HAve just seen a big fat mouse run across the living room which has given me a fright as well! I had the buggers last year and thought had got rid of them but alas they are back. Had pasta lined up but now too scared to venture off my chair!

Thanks for advice on sunglasses, although weather today think I might be wearing my gloves and hat!

xx

24/03/2009 at 20:56
Ibuprofen/ Nurofen is good but go to your GP and ask for Diclofenac is also a non-steroidal but stronger. Had some when had tendonitis in both ankles in February. Will be taking in my bum bag on the day just in case, although not too good on empty tummy.
24/03/2009 at 21:19
Spanna, I'll lend you my cat, he's a very good mouser!
25/03/2009 at 07:23

Redhead:  Just caught up on posts and relieved to your fit and well but so sorry to hear about your family worries - bumps, too. Running can be just the thing to relax in such stressful times, but take care! 

I usually run alone and plan all my routes with safety being paramount. Went out last night with some "friends" from the gym, and had a nice rural 9 mile route to contemplate instead of roads. As I had to stop for a toilet break (again), I asked the others to meet me at the end of a road, got there, waited for 15 mins,getting very cold and wet, then slowly realised they'd gone on without me. By this time it was pitch black and I had to run the last 3 miles on my own along a REALLY creepy dark cycle track. I was so scared. I hadn't brought my phone for once, felt awful anyway and my ankle was killing me. As I "don't cry", the damp in my eyes was  obviously anger! Got home an hour late, absolutely bushed, slurped down some soup and went to bed miserable, thinking that noone cares!

Then this morning I read your kind words, Redhead - made me feel better - big thank you!!!!!!!!!!

P.S My stomach will be my downfall on the day, I'm sure.

25/03/2009 at 09:30

Fran, have you tried immodium.  On marathon day I will take some before I leave home whether I need them or not!  Has worked in the past for me. 

25/03/2009 at 10:54

Fran - what nikster said.  Immodium was a vital part of my pre-silverstone breakfast! 

I was sure I posted yesterday, but perhaps got distracted before the vital 'submit' moment!

Redhead - hope things are smoothing over for you.  Doesn't sound like a fun few days at all.

Diclofenac is good, but be careful with new stuff close to marathon day.  It does horrible things to me   and I could never run with it in my system. 

Ruth - I texted people along the way last year, to let them know how I was doing.  Suspect this year will have a substantially different feel to it!  You've reminded me that I must sort out my new phone before then.  I fancy something I can browse the web on - and more importantly, catch up on how everyone did before I get home on Monday afternoon!  I'll never hold out that long and my husband will *kill* me if I have to sneak off to find an internet cafe

25/03/2009 at 14:07

I am now re-thinking the phone option, as I usually dont run with my phone I have never considered it before... unfortunately I certainly wont be able to get any good shots on the way around using it as its a knackered old Samsung!

Went for another sports massage last night after a 10 mile bike ride in the gym, same verdict... Not sure whether thats a good or bad thing... A bit of tightness and a slight slight strain but nothing to worry about, she's told me to do no exercise until Sundays race, just lots of elevation.. still uncertain whether I'll be able to get around the whole 21 but I'll plod around slowly and if not I can always do the 15 and attempt a longer run the following week.... Any twinges she's said to ignore as theres nothing wrong and its likely to be due to the nerves etc adjusting... Hmmm...

Has anyone else ran Cranleigh before??

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.