sub or about 4h30 hopefully

81 to 100 of 14,695 messages
20/10/2004 at 09:32
Morning all how is everyone today?

Dips - you've got a very good schedule there and a good base for a sub 4:30.I went to our local track last night to do some speed work. Got stiffish knees at the moment.I'm going to increase my schedule to 4 runs a week as soon as I know my problems have settled.

Tiredgirl - I've had ITB, who hasn't lol. Physio didn't really work for me but stretching is the answer. Have a look at the website below. It might help.

http://www.itbs.info/html/treatments.html

Lo Hump - remain postive. If you can start running in Nove you'll still have a good 5 months to train. Don't worry I'm new to this to and not a young un either,youngish LOL!

L8rs

20/10/2004 at 09:46
Thanks Stylish - i'm trying not to panic yet but it's getting harder with every little niggle i encounter!
20/10/2004 at 10:04
Thanks Stylish - I'll have a look at the website and keep stretching and thanks Lo, it's good to know you're not alone!
20/10/2004 at 13:14
Lo, have you tried swimming or even an aqua jogger.

Stylish, I go to my local track on a Tuesday too, although last night we did a 5k time trail on the sea front. 27.27 for me.
20/10/2004 at 13:42
Hi Dips,
Haven't managed to fit in swimming yet but keep meaning too. Can't quite muster the frame of mind to get to the pool at 7am!

Would it be best to do breatstroke or front crawl (is that a dense question?)
20/10/2004 at 13:52
Dips, I've only started going recently because I don't like running on pavements that much, especially in the dark.Nice bunch of people at my club (not officially joined yet) and have to say that I've been shown up by a few people many years wiser than me <hangs his head in shame>.LOL
One guy is about 75 and d'you what, I can't beat him over 400M <give me time, give me time> he's that good. We normally do 400M,600M or 800M speed work.
Thats good time for the 5K by the way.

Lo- Why don't you do both. First do one stroke and when you get tired do the other if you can.
20/10/2004 at 14:08
LOL - That's half a length sorted then Stylish!
20/10/2004 at 14:25
another reality check here. would love under 4 but as it's my first i really should be thinking about getting around. heck, if i can get to the start line without injury it will be an accomplishment.

dips, your improvement is really encouraging!

just wondering who else besides normski is training with a heart rate monitor? my plan is to continue base training until the new year, then get into one of the 16-week plans. i'm also doing the pose clinic the last weekend in october so that may throw me off for a bit.
20/10/2004 at 15:27
Hi everyone

i know you probably all think I'm mad but i'm enjoying running off the sub3hour plan. and I know I'm a beginner and all that but isn't enjoying running what its all about??
20/10/2004 at 15:30
Hi Lucrece, how's it going? You are quite right, getting to the start line be an accomplishment itself. Don't forget to tell yourself that when you get there, that's what I'm gonna do (if I remember lol).
My training plan is going to be along the same lines as you. I'm going to get a sports watch at X-mas cause I think it does really help to know what sort pace you're running at and the mileage done.Also when the FLM is out the way I gonna really attack the distances and see what I can do PB wise. Not really concerned at the moment.
20/10/2004 at 15:45
I agree Stylish - i'm gonna carry on after FLM too and start going for some PB's.

Rachel: I agree with you too - enjoying it is everything so keep doing what you're doing and have fun.

Lucrece: I'm not using a heart rate monitor yet but thought i might try to get one for Xmas - my breathing lets me down so it might help if i monitor the old ticker and aim for improvements.
20/10/2004 at 16:48
Agree with all of above - just enjoy it and do whats right for you - but REMEMBER its the training 16 weeks before that is the real countdown. Before that - all means of general keeping fit will help. Rachel if you can do a sub 3 training programme thats brilliant, but if you can achieve everything on it you can achieve a marathon in a faster time than 4:30! Me - I found some of the sub 4:30 tasks hard last time round - probably why it took me 4:39 to finish! But think I may be a little fitter now........?! Hope!!
20/10/2004 at 17:09
I am now a convert when it comes to HRMs. It's like having a personal coach. Get one!
20/10/2004 at 19:14
It's on my pressie list so we'll see what Daddy Xmas brings eh?

Off to gym soon to cycle and use cross trainer for first time - i'm dreading this ... wish me luck?

I'll let you know how i get on tomorrow.

Catch ya later peeps.
20/10/2004 at 20:26
I am not worrying too much about a training plan until Nov and plan to follow the Hal Higdon plan. I started punishing my body with excessive mileage far too early last year and nearly ended up 6ft under- never again. Agree with what has already been said about just building general fitness at present,feeling that I am not actually training for the marathon quite yet. This'll be my 3rd after having to defer this years entry to 2005.At present I am just going out 3 times a week , doing about 4 miles (speed work), 6-7 miles and 8-11 miles ( did Great North last month and occasionally doing local 10k races) Actually took a week off last week as I thought I was coming down with glandular fever again, but it ended up being just a mild virus. Thinking of doing a bit of swimming as my 4th weekly session.
Also had thought of getting a HRM but they're pretty expensive, and will probably need a new pair of trainers soon instead!!
20/10/2004 at 21:56
I train with a HRM and have found it really helpful. I've used one for years in the gym and find it a good guide for differing training sessions. I would say that they take a bit of getting used to though, but would definately recommend.
20/10/2004 at 22:17
YAY! back from the gym and all's well - that's a start anyway. My achilles is slightly aching but that's not surprising as I gave it 10 minutes on the cross trainer for the first time tonight.

Onwards and upwards eh?

Billie: Think the Hal Higdon marathon schedules are for 18 weeks so i'm hoping to get running again in time to build a bit of fitness before I start on one! Beanz sent me an amended one for Novice which she's started using already so i'll probably go along the same theme and just double up on a few weeks from mid - end November (as long as I start running again at the beginning of the month that is!)

Anyway, off for a cuppa and to watch a little of the desert challenge program which I taped this evening.

Nite nite all - see you tomorrow.
22/10/2004 at 11:10
Morning all.How are we all today. No running since Tuesday but will get out tonite. Apparently the strong winds are going to be with this weekend so I'll try and find a time when it's not so gusty, if I can.Did a few weights and sit ups etc last night but nothing to taxing.

L8rs
22/10/2004 at 23:05
More positive tonight. Got to the gym and managed 20mins cardio (bike & xt) without feeling anything in the knee at all so that must be good! Then had 30 mins intensive upper body training from gym manager (personal training paid on from a while ago) so have now got the 'burn' that we all know and love. Roll on complete recovery..... Needs to be soon though, golden bond entry form arrived today! Help.
25/10/2004 at 10:05
Morning everyone it's been a good weekend Liverpool won and Arsenals record is over too.
Went out for a lunchtime run yesterday not my normal time but it was hard going because of the heavy winds.It wasn't cold and the sun was trying to get out but the wind was quite strong. Even after a half a mile I was thinking "I don't want to do this". So yesterday was a constant battle with the mind and the wind to keep going.Unfortunately I did have to stop and walk a mile home.So for a good chance at FLM not only have you got to be physically and mentally ready but you have to pray that the weather conditions are just right.

L8rs
81 to 100 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.