sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,421 to 13,440 of 14,695 messages
mcs
15/04/2012 at 14:51
Emma does it wow! Brilliant effort.
15/04/2012 at 14:57
Afternoon peeps,

Last long run done - it's been a good few years since I thought of 8.5 miles as a long run!!!! Taper madness

Well done Emma - 4:26 is a great chunk off your pb
16/04/2012 at 15:21

Hi everyone - at last after three attempts I've done sub 4:30! Didn't think it would ever happen ... so so pleased. Thanks for all your support! RH you are going to smash your pb - I can feel it!

I had a horrible so with my ITB at mile 18 so know I could do faster in the future ... yup going to do another one! Paris is great - I recommend it!

Advice please for a very sore ITB - what massage etc should I get. How long must I rest? Will also apply for VLM again as it is a massive event and I would love to see if I could achieve as well on that course! Post marathon high alert!

16/04/2012 at 19:10
Hi Emma superstar, bet you'll be buzzing for a long time yet! I had exactly the same at Abingdon in 2009 except it was mile 17 - I was 1 minute outside my pb then which still annoys me. I got it sorted with lots of deep tissue massage (hurts like heck but sorts it out eventually) and just running shorter distances for a while. You can definitely go faster if you get your ITB problem sorted out

Rest day for me today which has allowed the taper gremlins to mess with my head
16/04/2012 at 21:48

Congratulations Emma! xxx

ITBs are the bane of all runners' lives, you can rest for a month now and keep at massaging and exercising it; usually it's due to over worked and under stretched muscles, tendons and nerves, and can hamper anything and everything from achiiles to glutes, including havoc with sciatica if you're unlucky (or if like me, you ignore it!). Just keep active, stretch, pilates, etc and come back stronger next time!

Well done for a great run, we all love you heaps!

16/04/2012 at 21:54

RH, those gremlins are nagging everyone! I'm just ignoring the voices in my head now! Not heading to London until Saturday morning either, so it's a real late one for me! Club run Tuesday and Thursday, and that's my only running left now, so hopefully I can just keep my legs ticking a bit. I didn't run at all over the weekend and with just 3.4 miles last Thursday (6 miles cut short as it was so wet and cold!) it feels like I really have just stopped!

I still don't really know what my race plan is; the "best case" scenario is still to take AN HOUR off my London best, which means running at the pace I did the Ashby 20 in (hilly 20 miler in March). That would get me just sub 4, and take perhaps 15 mins off my PB. Anything under 4:30 (15 over the PB) would still be acceptable, depending on how I do it!

And to start the roll-call already,

Jimbo. Blue start. 24360. White club vest (Lincoln Wellington, with black and red horizontal stripes). Black shorts

mcs
17/04/2012 at 09:53
Envious Jim, wish I was there with you running. Will enter London again this year but there is a 1 in 7 chance of getting in now so not much hope. There are plenty of others to run but it is a special atmosphere. ALL the best Jim for a great run and  all Londoners running too of course.
17/04/2012 at 10:36
Morning all,

It's pouring with rain with gale-force wind today so I shall be doing my 3 mile plod on the treadmill! Sports massage tomorrow then a final short plod on Thursday I think.

Jim I'm at the Blue start too so we'll defo have to find eachother. Haven't got my details to hand so will post them later.
17/04/2012 at 12:48

Congrats on the PB Emma that is brilliant! Enjoy the recovery.

Very exciting about London this weekend. I'll be out on the course - probably up at Blackheath, Greenwich and then docklands somewhere as my bf is running. I don't think I'll be at the finish though as it gets just a little bit too bonkers there for me! Hope you are all fit, well and raring to go!

17/04/2012 at 14:35

I'm half jealous and half relieved not to be in taper madness!

Mile 18 - 24 were pretty hairy but what a buzz - I hooked!

Thank you so so much for all your support over the last 2 years - I now feel that I have earnt my place on the thread (third time lucky)!

VLMers you will be amazing - it should be better temperature than last year!

mcs
18/04/2012 at 09:22

Chucking it with rain and a head wind in the tunnels and on the viaduct at Monsal Head this am left home at seven for a six miler slow that became a seven miler slightly quicker, the first mile was hard as uphill and the legs didnt want to work this morning. Made it to work through the rain and I hate head wind  but fear this at Edi due to being next to the sea so better get used to the possibility of it. Good for the legs to feel the pain.

Coffee time.

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

All the best for you VLMers out there enjoy I will be watching you!! With envy. 

18/04/2012 at 10:29

Emma - well done on your Pb and sub 4.30. I did brighton and managed 4.29.52 so also just got sub 4.30, should have been much quicker but the 4 hr pacer done the first 6 miles at 8.33 m/m average so way too fast.

Doing MK Marathon on 29th April, hoping to get abit more time under sub 4.30.

18/04/2012 at 11:39
congrats spen!
18/04/2012 at 11:54

ran the club's rolling hills route last night, though as a steady run rather then the efforts (some of the hills do still feel more like cliffs!) but it's blasted out some of the lethargy that was creeping in!

6 or 7 steady miles tomorrow, then travelling Saturday..............

18/04/2012 at 12:33
Iccle - thanks for that and good luck for the weekend
19/04/2012 at 22:11

Spen - you'll definately do it!

Good luck IJ! Thank you for your lovely post earlier - made me well up a bit. I am an emotional old soul!

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE ON SUNDAY!

20/04/2012 at 07:50

EmmaC - thanks for that.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE FOR SUNDAY !!!!!

seren nos    pirate
20/04/2012 at 08:47
well done emma and spen..........just popping in to with the VLM's all the best for the race.......

I hope you all get the times you are wanting.......

i will be there but trying to do it as a Long slow run as i have bigger fish to fry this year....going to try and enjoy the atmosphere without the pressure of keeping to a pace....
last time i did london i hated it and was in agony and then still missed out with a 4:31 despite good training......so bad memories of the course...

if anyone wants to aim for a PB next april head for Llanelli.......everyone seems to PB there

good luck all
20/04/2012 at 09:11

you could PB in Hull too... oh, no, everyone disqualified because the course was 1/2 mile short! oops!

Last 5 miler last night, it really did feel like the Last Supper, though I'm not sure which part of my body was playing the part of Judas the Betrayer!

If I don't post again, good luck everyone!!!!!!

RH - see you at the start or in the pub xx

20/04/2012 at 09:25
Just a little 2 mile pootle for me this morning in the sunshine

Good luck to all VLMers and see you there Jim xxx
13,421 to 13,440 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.