sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,541 to 13,560 of 14,695 messages
mcs
28/06/2012 at 16:16

44 miles this week so far, trying to do a biggie to see how the body responds. Nice pics its  coming to Bakewell tomorrow evening.

03/07/2012 at 09:58

Morning all,

Right, time for me to up the ante and get back into some serious training to repare me for the Kent Coastal marathon in 8 weeks.

I managed an interval session on the treddy.  Didn't ramp up the speed too much and just eased myself back in gently.  Started with a 1 mile warmup then did .2, .3, .4, .5, .4, .3, .2 starting at 10 min miling and working up to 9.5 min miling and back down again.  Breathing no different from usual - I've always breathed heavily during and after speedwork but recover very quickly.  

Just the hills to conquer now and they are my main area of concern at the moment.  I always breath heavily but control it by going really slowly but that isn't working at the moment.  I'm sure I'll find a way through it eventually.  

I've got my first asthma management clinic tomorrow.  How exciting!

Who's got any more marathons planned for the rest of the year?  I've just got Kent Coastal in September then Beachy in October.

07/07/2012 at 12:16

good Redhead, but you need to really increase the speedwork in conjunction with mileage to get the fitness up! or just keep conquering those hills!

moved into my new house

not really running atm, still going to the club twice a week but the last two weeks my mileage has been poor. 8 and 10.... ouch! really hard work as I lose fitness, but the DIY is a priority as I can't get any furniture (incl. fridge and washing machine) until the carpets and kitchen floor are in and I can't book them until I've stripped sanded and painted the whole house! bathroom done inside 2 days though, so that's positive!

keep running for me folks!

07/07/2012 at 13:54

Congratulations Jim   

I know all about DIY as we've now renovated 3 properties - each time we've said "never again" 

17/07/2012 at 13:08

Hello hello! Long time no type! Apologies for my absence one and all. I've been a bit work/life distracted but things are calming down again so here I am. Hope you are all fit and well and enjoying our wonderful summer? I'm just back from a week in the lakes where I just about made it round the Saunders Mountain Marathon - very very tough and my buddy and I only just made it home five minutes before the cut off on day 2. Still having failed it once before it was great to finally complete it. Nothing lined up now til Beachy head though I'm toying with Kent Half Marathon - maybe see you there RH?

24/07/2012 at 23:14

DIY is still ongoing... it's taken over most of my free time, and pretty well all my running time ;-(

Now running about once a week (I've not yet doen a 0 mile week though!) and it's slow and sluggish and sore and if I do tomorrow's league 5k race it'll be a miracle if I beat 26 minutes - should be doing 23:58 for a PB! Also not likely to do Saturday's 10 mile race, it just would be messy!

Hope to get back into running by September! once the carpets are in (mid August?!) I should be able to get back to the gym and get some fitness...

Have fun folks, enjoy the Olympics!

25/07/2012 at 09:37

Morning all,

IJ, DIY take over your life and things just get put to one side.  You'll soon get back into your running eventually.

Birdy, lovely to hear from you and hope to see you in Thanet.

I'm still struggling with the asthma but it doesn't seem to be slowing me down too much except I get very breathless on hills - even more so now.

25/07/2012 at 12:24

I've been suffering with hay fever for the last week. Feels a tiny bit better today so hoping to get out for something this evening. On the bike a lot at the moment - preparing for the Games! London is a little crazy at the mo but seems to be coping OK.

Good luck with the DIY IJ. We're still trying to sell property for our move down to Whitstable but nothing yet. Very frustrating.

26/07/2012 at 17:57

Managed to stop DIYing enough yesterday to do one of the club's 5k races. I felt pretty aweful, stiff, sore, tired, and ran over 1 minute slower than in May! Oh well, as you've all said, it'll come back soon!

06/08/2012 at 11:26

Good weekends everyone? I spent much of it trying to keep up with all the olympics action. Had a very olympic style 10 mile run on Saturday morning which took in the shooting venue at Woolwich and then the equestrian venue at Greenwich Park as well as a quick stop on Blackheath to watch the triathlon on the big screen! Running is going to be a much less exciting affair when this all finishes.

Hope you all had fun!

06/08/2012 at 16:47

I've got square eyes from watching so much of the Olympics!  Hasn't it been fab so far with some excellent performances.  Very exciting.

I managed 15 undulating/hilly miles yesterday without too much wheezing so am feeling more confident again 

11/08/2012 at 17:35

Still DIYing and being distracted by the Olympics! I did take a day out last Friday and watched the Evening session in the stadium (Jess's shot and 200m, men's shot qualy, women's discus qualy, women's 100m heats, men's 1500m heats, women's 10k) which was... beyond words! the atmosphere was phenominal, sporting standard immense!

see if this link works for a set of photos....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151176726314623.509547.530294622&type=1&l=76dad3bf36
14/08/2012 at 15:40

You are so lucky IJ - I would have loved to get to the stadium. Still can't complain as I got to the equestrian cross country in Greenwich Park which was incredible. All a bit flat now in London. But the training must continue as Kent half creeps up. I'm going to try for 12 miles on Saturday which will be my last long run and then a little taper before the race itself. I'm still cycling a lot so hopefully the legs will get me round.

I'm olympic inspired though - if I can afford it I'm going to treat myself to a couple of riding lessons this winter!

03/09/2012 at 08:48

Did the Kent Coastal marathon yesterday. Had a lovely day and really enjoyed myself, smiling all the way round.  Took 28 minutes off my previous time from 5 years ago which was my goal so I couldn't be happier.  Fab to see so many 100 clubbers there and to chat to old friends en-route.  I love out and back/roundabout routes like this 'cos as a slower runner I get to see all the speedy peeps which is inspirational.

Lovely to chat to Birdypie at the start and hope you enjoyed the half (lightweight!)   I'd forgotten how "undulating" the first half is and some of the undulations are more like hills!  See you at Beachy in a few weeks. xxx

Edited: 03/09/2012 at 08:49
04/09/2012 at 11:53

yay well done RH - that's fab news on your time! Yep I'd totally underestimated the hills as well. Was on for a sub 2 hour time for a while but around mile 9 wheels started falling off a bit. I came in at 2.02 so given the course I was pretty pleased with that. Really nice race though - nice scenery and a brilliant goody bag. Might think about the marathon again next year....we'll see.

Looking forward to beachy...must book up the B&B! Are you doing JogShop as a warm up?

04/09/2012 at 14:02

I've never tried the Jog Shop 20.  Does it involve THAT hill that you need crampons to get up (that's part of the Windmill Walks 15 miler)?  I'm a bit wary of doing it so close to Beachy as I know I'd be very slow.

04/09/2012 at 20:55

well done girls xx

05/09/2012 at 15:47

yes it does include that hill. I always end up walking that (twice). I think last year I finished in around 3.50 and there were people behind me plodding along. You can also choose to skip that bit of the course and just carry on along the top. Have a little thinkie!

Hows it going IJ?

mcs
07/09/2012 at 13:32

Hi ladies good to see you are still out there! Running the village fell race tonight then GNR on the 16th.  Next year its fell running time and doing some interesting off road slow stuff.

07/09/2012 at 14:36
Hello all
Life takes over everything sometimes! Happy DIYing Jim!
I've moved house and am in the middle of an extension at the moment. Have no kitchen so we're all living off jacket potatoes, toast, beans, soup - anything that can be eaten raw, microwaved or put in a toaster! As the evenings get cooler think a slow cooker could be a good investment!!

Anyway running is just about ticking over, will be doing GNR as usual but will be winging it on the day! Cycling ticking over and am doing Manx end 2 end challenge on Sunday! Should be interesting as there are 3 checkpoints along the way with cut off times :-~

Nice to pop in and see you are all well

Happy running
13,541 to 13,560 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.