sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,561 to 13,580 of 14,695 messages
mcs
12/09/2012 at 13:57

See you at GNR relaxed what time you aiming at?

13/09/2012 at 09:03

Hi Relaxed, lovely to hear from you!  Oh the joys of an extension, I remember well using the barbecue or the Breville toaster as my main cooker for many months.  Glad to hear you're doing GNR and good luck 

Good luck to you too mcs.

I'm just ticking over now ahead of Beachy Head.  Just as well as the asthma is driving me mad.  What with the weight gain and muscle cramps (both side-effects of the "cure" for asthma/hay fever) I'm really not at my sparkling best which is ironic considering how well my training went earlier in the year.  Still, I will prevail eventually and at least I'm still churning out decent enough times for my marathons.

14/09/2012 at 21:40

Running my first marathon in April (Brighton). I am hoping for sub 4.30 but I guess it's hard to know how you'll go until you do it. Training is going alright so far but there's plenty of room for improvement!

15/09/2012 at 07:49

Hi Hedgepuffin and welcome to the thread!  I'm doing Brighton too, my 30th marathon,  and I'm training for around 4:30 but with me things often go awry   I did the very first Brighton but didn't do it this year.

Have you done many 1/2 marathons?  

We all start to chat more once the winter training starts so stick around and ask loads of questions 'cos there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on here.

15/09/2012 at 20:21

eh up folks!

DIY is still the focus of the day / week / month / every waking hour! though the end seems to be slightly less distant on the horizon!

I have managed a few runs, still ran once a week throughout the summer, and this week or so I managed 5.7 Saturday, 10k race Sunday, 6.3 efforts Tuesday and 5.3 tempo-ish Thursday. Wahoo! might try a longish one again tomorrow, not sure yet! might just have to continue to varnish the stairs!

Good luck all racing GNR tomorrow!

16/09/2012 at 13:33

Afternoon peeps,

Hope our 2 GNR peeps are enjoying themselves.

Jim, at least you're managing to run a bit and it will soon come back anyway.

I've had to take the weekend off 'cos my asthma is especially bad.  Not a happy girlie at all and may have to go back and see the quack.

17/09/2012 at 22:47

Hi Redhead, 

Thanks for the response. I haven't yet done a half marathon (I know, I know, this is all terribly ill-advised!). I've never been able to motivate myself to run for any length of time in the past but this year, it seems to have clicked. I've run a few 10k races and I'm steadily improving. As a result, I've made the somewhat hairbrained decision to stick at it, build up the training and get the marathon that I've been promising myself for a decade done! I'm running 25-30 miles per week at present. I've got the Great South Run at the end of October and the AVR Wiltshire Half Marathon in December. 

Here's hoping!

18/09/2012 at 11:20

Morning all,

Hi Hedgepuffin, well that's a decent base mileage you've got so it will stand you in good stead for the marathon training.  Have you chosen a schedule yet?  You need to schedule in a 1/2 around Feb/March as well so you can check on your progress.

Where have our 2 GNR runners got to then?  How did you both get on?

I have taken the sensible decision to have a week off from running/swimming/static bike/rower/trampolining/weights to help my body fight whatever is bugging it!  I normally do this after the last marathon of the year but as I'm feeling like poo at the moment it seemed wise to do it ahead of Beachy so that I'm raring to go.  Normal training will resume on Friday 

mcs
18/09/2012 at 16:41

1.42.55 a new pb for me at the half distance so rather chuffed!!! A great day for running cool and damp and met the Olympians on the Saturday too. Excellent. Now whats next??

Get well soon Redhead and take it easy.

19/09/2012 at 08:58

Mcs, that's outstanding!  All that hard slog earlier in the year has definitely paid off.  I'm so happy for you xxx   Marathon pb is defo on for you next year.

28/09/2012 at 11:16

another rejection from London...

so...

1994  1995  1996  1997  1998

1999  2000  2001  2002  2003

2004  2005  2006  2007  2008

2009  2010  2011  2012  2013

* 2011 lost in the ballot but won a place through the bequeath prize draw
* 2012 lost in the ballot but won a place through my club

01/10/2012 at 13:47

I'm a reject too Jim!  You have had more success then me:

2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 rejected so used Gold Bond places from ARUK (I can't think why all my friends and neighbours avoid me!!!)

2006, 2012 accepted (still raised money for ARUK but without the same pressure).

This time I don't mind as I really didn't enjoy VLM this year and anyway I'm doing Brighton 

mcs
02/10/2012 at 15:24

Rejected for the last five years never got in through the ballot.......cant face raising money in these tough times, so not doing London again.......what shall I do is the question....................2010 was tough raising cash so nightmare now.

02/10/2012 at 20:08

Come and do Brighton Mark  (unless it's full of course).

02/10/2012 at 23:06

assuming my achilles ease off a bit more, I'll do Manchester or Edinburgh. Friends doing each, so I can train with company. Manchester will be easier as I can drive there and back on the day!

03/10/2012 at 11:19

Hello all! Yes London rejected me as well and I think like mcs I'm going to draw the lien under it now. Just impossible to get in without charity place. I'm also sadly going to pull out of Beachy Head. Just too much on at the moment. I'm busy with work and with trying to push forward the house move and just feel too stretched to prepare and get to this one.

So....for the winter afew shorter races I think. I'm going to do some cross countries with my running club and then think about the Spring. Possibly Coniston 14...Its the first time since 2004 that I don't actually have a race in my diary!

mcs
03/10/2012 at 11:29

I am doing Coniston 14 did it last year a lovely road run round the Lake. Another good one is the Grindleford Gallop, beautiful views and at 21 cross country, trail and road miles is not such a killer as a marathon. Runs through my village so local to me. Come to the Peak District. March 9th next year on a Saturday too so you can have Sunday to recover and sightsee, eat or just sleep before going home. Brighton I am sure is full.

03/10/2012 at 11:31

I'm thinking about White Peak Marathon for next year but not sure how much leave I'll have to play with...there is discussion of another attempt at the Saunders Mountain Marathon....all up in the air. It does feel quite liberating not having anything to train for...but we'll see how long I keep the training up for.

Quite excited about doing Coniston again...lovely race and a good excuse for a few days in the lakes.

mcs
05/10/2012 at 13:51

White Peak is a Saturday race too I think, handy for a weekend away and a chill after the race, though I think this is a tough race, very up and down from cycling round there if memory serves me right. May can be very hot as it was two years ago, a friend of mind did it and said they ran out of water and ambulances were struggling to get to people due to access issues. Though not an issue for the accustomed to the desert birdypie.... My son in law and I did most of the GGallop route, its an awesome route, tough but so worth it for the views. There are a load of pictures of the route on the site but they dont really do justice to the views as the weather was dull when taken. Anybody done Snowden Marathon?

07/10/2012 at 16:41

I'm erring towards doing the marathon in Manchester (the week after London I think) though I might give the spring a miss completely and aim for Palma again in October.

I've now managed 3 consecutive Sunday 10 milers now, so really feeling like I'm getting back into it! Niggling pains in ankles still there, but not as bad as before and it is just due to stiffness! hopefully I'll run 3 tmes this week which will help!

Hoping to enter the Clowne half on 25th November, so I have 7 weeks to get race fit! yipee!

13,561 to 13,580 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.