sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,701 to 13,720 of 14,704 messages
06/01/2013 at 18:57

quite shocked to notice I've already run 38 miles this year! oops!

this year's going to be about mileage, not too worried about how fast! (except of course, getting the 5k times down!)

07/01/2013 at 09:47

Morning all,

Hi Cozzar and welcome to the thread.  I'm always trying to get below 4:45 so I feel your pain!  I'm a great fan of Hal Higdon too as he's got me round my marathons and ultras feeling great.  I'm introducing more focussed speedwork this year so fingers crossed it will work for both of us this time 

Bigeater, how very considerate of your niece to work in a Nike store!

Cross-training for me later today - rower, bike and core work.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 10:36
07/01/2013 at 14:13

belated Happy New Year...

Been feeling like a fat bloater ofver the xmas break... then ran a 10k pb last night... quite chuffed as i have added a few pounds over xmas.

Even got my arse out of bed this morning and cycled to work.... so a bright start...

Couple easy miles with the hound tonight and i may even go to the gym to work the guns.... 

Red... will def catch up at Brighton! I havent really go a program organised yet... will have to get on to that... what is it? 15 weeks?

07/01/2013 at 18:41

lovely 5 mile recovery run this evening, and 43 miles in 7 days in 2013! not sure how long I'll keep this up for!!!!

07/01/2013 at 19:04
Nice running jim, careful not to overdo it though!
07/01/2013 at 22:22

rest day for me today ( from running that is) I spent a happy hour throwing some heavy wts around in gym this eve.

Cozzar/Redhead, I've not heard of Hal Higdon... i'm off to do some research...

07/01/2013 at 22:41

good effort all ! I'm only scheduled to do a total of 31 miles this week and thats plenty for me

08/01/2013 at 10:16

Morning all,

Hill reps for me today and the sun is shining 

Hi 'Sham Plodder, I'm looking forward to Brighton - less stressful than VLM for me in many ways and I really do want a new pb before I get too old and cronky 

Jim dear, you'll wear your little legs out if you keep on with that!

Jen, I think Hal Higdon's plans are great and I've adapted them for many different goals each year.  Well worth a look at least.  Hope you didn't hit anyone with those weights!

08/01/2013 at 12:46

easy 4 last night...  prob the same tonight. I am just trying to get the miles under my feet at the mo. If i can get 20 in this week i will be very pleased.... plus a game of squash and water polo tonight and cycling to and from work 3 days... i should feel pretty fit.

Red, i am the same, really looking forward to brighton. No stress, i know the distance, i know i will be quicker than london in 2010 because i am smaller and fitter so a pb on the cards fo' sho'!

Jim... impressive..

Jen.. as Red says, Hal's plans are a good base, even if you dont follow them totally... i currently just have the long runs in my diary, with the aim of 3 - 4 midweek runs that i can fit in around my girlies.

08/01/2013 at 20:24

Evening all,

Steady 5 miles for me this eve, nice fine drizzle kept me refreshed!

I had a look at Hal's plans. lots of good info. but so many plans!!! I did like the mileage layout on one of the intermediate plans, I may use it n adapt paces specific to my goals. Thanks for posting bout Hal.

Nah, didn't manage to hit anyone with the weights last night Red, I'll try harder next week.

10/01/2013 at 20:21

Now that I'm doing more hills/speed I am starting to feel it in my legs. Does anyone have any experience/recommend compression tights/skins to help recovery?

10/01/2013 at 22:58

hey, not that i have my autum fully decided on as yet... but great question as ever jen!

11/01/2013 at 10:55

Morning all,

Our forecast for the weekend is snow but today is lovely and bright.  Recovery run planned for later today then intervals tomorrow and 13 miles LSR on Sunday.

Jen, I've never tried compression stuff but I know a lot of people think they help.  For many years I had a ice bath then a warm bath after hard efforts ('cos we always hose down horses legs with cold water after tough sessions) but then I stopped doing it and didn't notice any difference in recovery.

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

11/01/2013 at 21:51

oooh I've never been brave enough to try ice bath Red....  Skins sound a nicer option!! I may treat myself with my xmas money.

I'm looking forward to some good weather runs this weekend! Two longish runs planned Sat and Sunday.

11/01/2013 at 22:05
Hi there. I'm a first time poster. And aiming to do my first marathon on 21 st. Only took up running last year. Started in September. Did 20 to 25 miles a week between sept and dec.

I started doing 10 mile run to work once a week about six weeks ago. Last Thursday I added in another 4m making 14m. This morning it wasn16m. Hard work and slow pace. Made me think my original target of 4hr 30min is way too optimistic. (I based it on a one off 10km at 55m. Ibe done a couple of timed half marathons just with a friend. Quickest was 2h15m).

But today took 3h5 min to do 16m which isn't even 2/3 distance. Albeit I was trying to keep Hr down.

Anyway thought I'd say hi to you guys
12/01/2013 at 11:48

HI Adam. Welcome to the forum.

I've not got a lot of experience, but sounds to me as if you're ramping it up too quickly. most plans only increase the long run 10% each time. Are you following a set plan?  Have a look at the other marathon threads eg asics 26.2 where there are coaches setting plans and giving tips etc. 

12/01/2013 at 11:50

OH.. and keep popping back in here to let us know how you are doing of course Adam!!

12/01/2013 at 12:29

Welcome Adam, well done for chosing the loopies and friendliest thread to chat on!

If this is your first race, then I'd suggest not worrying about the time too much; with a 55 min 10k you certainly have the potential to run a marathon in some time between 4:30 and 5 hours, and if you're able to plod 14 or 16 miles at this stage, you're not doing badly at all.

See if you canup your midweek mileage a bit too, so your LSR (long slow run) is less than half the weekly total. Even with 3 runs a week, that's not too difficult, as you could do a 14 and two 7s to make 28 miles per week. Once into February, I'd suggest 30 a week at least, but keep each week in February about the same, then in Marhc, keep the midweek runs abot the same and step up to 35-40 by increasing the LSRs towards 20 miles.

Don't increase weekly mileage by more than about 10% (so 20 can become 22, 25 can become 27.5, etc. and don't increase each week's LSR by too much at a time too. Every 4 weeks, drop the mileage a bit (by 5 or 10) and do some speedwork (perhaps another 10k race) so blow the cobwebs off!

Most importantly, enjoy it!

13/01/2013 at 20:49

Beautiful running weather today, did 12miles, first 3miles flat, then 3 up a hill &3 back down, but then I ran out of energy in the last 3miles, not sure what happened.  but I didn't stop, just hung in and I got home eventually.

No snow here yet, but v v cold.

13/01/2013 at 22:04

Very cold 12 miler here too; I didn't run as fast as last week as legs very tight and sore, though I still averaged about 9:45 pace.

Booked to see the sports physio tomorrow, so hopefully that'll ease it all a bit!

13,701 to 13,720 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.