sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,721 to 13,740 of 14,695 messages
14/01/2013 at 15:27

Afternoon all,

'Twas a cold weekend for sure!  I did my intervals on the treddy on Saturday and had to cut them short as my breathing was a problem.  Still did 4.75 miles so not too bad.  On Sunday I had a nightmare and had to walk up most of the steep hills (all my routes involve hills of various degrees) so made it up on the downhills and flatter bits.  12 miles in total but at least the sun was out - it rained when I got home!  I have an appointment for my asthma review on Wednesday so perhaps they can make some more suggestions 'cos nothing has helped so far.  Sorry to whinge!

Hi Adam, and welcome to the thread.  I'm assuming you're aiming for VLM?  If so then perhaps 16 miles is a bit too far at this stage in your build-up, especially as you are just getting used to running long distances.  I agree with Jim about the mileage build-up as increasing it too much at once can lead to injury.  As it's your first time just try to concentrate on your stamina and getting round in one piece and save the speedywork for you next one.  Good luck and please pop in and ask up questions if there's anything you're not sure about 

Jen, well done for persevering! 

Jim, have you entered a marathon yet?  Apologies if you've told me already 

14/01/2013 at 16:16
Nice 10mile run for me yesterday. Managed to slow down to an average of 10.14 per mile and actually done the 2nd 5 miles quicker than the 1st 5 miles so very pleased with that. Next run will be around 6 miles tomorrow.
At this stage in training for VLM what do you guys think the LSR distance should be?
15/01/2013 at 10:21

hey all.... missed my long run at the weekend due to beer excess... so ran a cheeky 10 miles in the cold and sleet last night... it was awesome...interestingly my last KM was the fasted... in fact they were getting quicker and quicker down to 5mins for the last one... that meant i managed 18 miles last week and should get up to about 26 this week.   I know its a bit of a jump, but i feel very good.

My top tip for beating runners knee: play squash!

Red... i had an asthma review a while back... i was struggling this time of year... new meds are a revolution! I struggle with the tempreture changes from indoors to outdoors.  A buff helps......

15/01/2013 at 14:50

Afternoon all,

6 miles of breathing like an old tramp fo me.  I called it a marathon paced session to make myself feel better but actually I won't be happy if I ruin Brighton at that snail's pace!

'Sham, LOL at the beer excess - we've all done it!  I wear a buff and love it but it isn't helping I'm afraid.  It's the steep uphills that do me in.

15/01/2013 at 19:52

Red, hope your asthma review goes well morrow and they can give you something to help. It must be horrible struggling to breathe. I wear a buff too... but it's cos I think it makes me look cool

did a nice little recovery jog this eve, beautiful clear sky and low new moon, so pretty I forgot to look at garmin n have no idea how fast or far I ran! But I enjoyed, and thats the main thing.

bigeater, I think for a spring marathon LSR should be about 12miles now and slowly increasing, and a mid week run of half the LSR distance.

16/01/2013 at 16:30
Hi jenf, I'm up to 10 miles and this weeks LSR will be 11 miles(working to 10% increase) now wondering if I should do 12 miles to get on schedule or continue with my 10% plan? Sticking with 10% increase each week will mean 18 mile LSR last Sunday in febuary then in march trying to get 2 20 milers in with maybe a 16 miler in between and an 18 miler before then tapering off for marathon day?
Also will be doing two other shorter runs during the week at the moment that Being tuesday and Thursday. this week will be 21 miles ran and increasing 10% each week.
Does this sound reasonable training?
Edited: 16/01/2013 at 16:34
16/01/2013 at 17:10
sounds reasonable plan to me bigeater. stick with those 10% increases and you cant go far wrong. Maybe throw in a few speed / interval sessions midweek occasionally just to mix it up a bit. Happy running

I did 7 miles of hills today! one killer hill I'd never made it up before without stopping. . conquered today! I'm well happy
17/01/2013 at 20:56
Well done jenf on conquering your own mount everest. I stay at the top of a very steep hill and it's great when you set off but knowing during your run that to get back home after 10 miles and you have to run back up it can be quite depressing!! Suppose it's good hill training!
18/01/2013 at 08:43

Really glad today is a rest day! blizzards here!

stay safe everyone

18/01/2013 at 13:37

Afternoon all,

We've got snow too which is good and bad at the same time - we will undoubtedly get snowed in if it continues which is good for a few days but the bad part is that I'll have to do my runs on the treddy.

Jen, well done.  Did you have a Rocky moment at the top to celebrate? 

Bigeater, same here.  We live halfway up a hill with lots of updulations around so I'm always crawling back up one hill or another at the end of my 20 milers.

When we first moved here I'd only just started running and I couldn't get up any of the hills so I just used to try and get a bit further up each time and finally made it.  They are great for building stamina and I'm always much faster in flat races as a result.

Take care in the snow everyone.

19/01/2013 at 12:44

Just back from a lovely 10miler, bit icey in places but there was crunchy snow to run on which was such fun! Didn't worry about pace today, just wanted to do the miles n keep safe.

Bigeater, I think if I were you after a 10 mile run I'd walk up the hill and call it my cool down!

Red, Rocky would have been proud of me!!

19/01/2013 at 16:36

Impossible to run outside here today so a short but useful treddy run - 3 miles of hill reps.  I'll be on there again tomorrow as the forecast is for more snow and temps down to -10 tonight 

Stay safe everyone.

19/01/2013 at 17:26
Wow we seem to be so lucky, freezing cold but no snow as yet, unusual for the west of Scotland! 11 miles tomorrow for me and my sisters coming along for 6-7 miles of it so will be nice to have a bit of company.
Jenf- the hill has became a challenge, I'm determined to always run up it no matter how far I've ran, kinda mind game now!! I usually end up walking back down it and up again to cool down.
19/01/2013 at 23:26

wow, how different things can be! snow and a week off, 38 miles run, including 12 last Sunday, and plenty of snowy icy long runs! 15 this Sunday hopefully, just depends if I can find enough road!

95 for the year so far, could well be 170 for this month!

and Redhead, no I haven't entered a marathon yet!!!!

20/01/2013 at 08:26
Fair play to you Jim, having the motivation to get out there and run so much and not even having a marathon planned....superb. Admit I get lazy if I don't have an end goal.
Cup of tea and my porridge done and in 15 mins just heading out for a 11 miler. Nice cold still morning here with still no snow and looks perfect for a good run.

Keep safe everyone.
20/01/2013 at 13:22

OH MY FREEZING GOODNESS!

IT's C-O-L-D !!!!! Cor blimey guv'nor, that was nippy! just short of 14 miles, about 9:30 average pace, though without that slushy hill at the end it could have been 2 mins faster!

Now the bets are on for when my toes defrost: bearing in mind I stopped running just after 12:00 and then showered and am now sat on the new sofa with the heating on!

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 13:22
20/01/2013 at 14:59

Just 10 miles on the treddy for me plus a 2.5 mile walk to the next village for the paper.  Good job it was a cut-back week for me.  It wasn't as cold as they said but the snow has been falling thick and fast and our lane is now impassable.

Bigeater, how come the West of Scotland has no snow and yet here in deepest Sussex we're snowed-in?!  LOL.  Last time I was in your neck of the woods was after the Loch Ness marathon in 2004 and after staying in Inverness we stayed near Loch Torridon for a few days.  Beautiful part of the country.

Jim dear, you need to get your marathon entry sorted.  We can't have all this greta training going to waste 

Stay safe everyone.

20/01/2013 at 15:23

no hurry to enter a marathon; spring targets are a couple of short PBs, (10 mile next week, 10k in April) then a proper assault on beating my 1996 half marathon PB of 1:46... not having a marathon allows a bit of freedom for doing those, while still keeping some high mileage training when I want to!

Anyway, what's ever stopped me entering a marathon 10 days before it starts?!

20/01/2013 at 17:22
Fantastic 11 miles for me today. Loved evey minute of it. My sister stayed with me for 10 miles which was brilliant as she usually only runs upto 10k,s and she loved it, slow pace of 10 min miles and one of my most enjoyable runs for a while.
22/01/2013 at 10:15

Oi Bigeater, 10 min miling isn't slow! 

Roads very icy so another treddy run for me.  A tempo run today.

13,721 to 13,740 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.