sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,741 to 13,760 of 14,695 messages
22/01/2013 at 11:13

did a "slow" 63 minute 10k (it just happened to be 6.21 miles!) last night; very icy, very slushy, no excuse not to do it!

Think the club run is sprints tonight... should be fun!

22/01/2013 at 14:26

Good one iccle Jim

The is no excuse! Get out there and embrace the snow

I managed to get out Saturday 6 miles, Sunday 10miles and did some snowy hill's today, I have to admit though it was all off road as i didn't want to risk slipping over on the icy pavements

I have found off road in the snow quite challenging though, hopefully when i get back on road i will reap the rewards (Probably not though)

How has everyone else been training in the bad weather?

22/01/2013 at 14:41

Afternoon all,

Today we had freezing fog and icy lanes first thing but now we have slush and melting, drippy stuff.  My tempo run was tough as I had a massive coughing fit in the middle of it and had to stop for about 5 minutes.  Cake made me feel a bit better 

Jim, tee hee.  Enjoy your sprints.

Hi pepecheese and welcome to the thread.  Which marathon are you training for?  There's no way I could run off-road at the moment as the ground is so heavily rutted after all the rain and now has frozen solid beneath the snow.

22/01/2013 at 14:49

Thanks Redhead, I am training for London, hoping for sub 4.30 this time, I did it in 2009 and due to injury only trained for 2 months and had a complete nightmare, ended up getting round in 5.20. What are you training for? Do you find it harder breathing in this cold when running?

I love running off road, Sunday was a real challenge as the places i went were up to 2 foot in snow at times, only bad thing was i must of lost my ipod when I fell over It was a white one so no chance of finding it!

22/01/2013 at 15:39

think I've found my marathon - it's in October, and it will involve a lot of beer, food and swimming in the Mediterranean. Oh dear, training will be hard!

22/01/2013 at 15:42
Welcome pepecheese. Sorry to hear you lost your iPod, that's a bit of a nightmare but did you not notice you were suddenly not listening to music!!....... Lol. I am meant to do 7 miles today but got a tight hamstring with slight pain so going to leave it till tomorrow and see how it feels.
22/01/2013 at 16:26

Thanks bigeater.

Hahaha, I didn't have it on at the time, I was enjoying the peace and quiet in the snow

Hope your hamstring feels better for a run tomorrow

22/01/2013 at 17:58
Can I ask what anticipated time did everyone put down on their entry form for London? I put 4hrs 40mins and a friend said I should have said a quicker time!
22/01/2013 at 19:24

I can't remember TBH, I think it was around 4 hours or so. What time are you hoping to run it in? I don't think it should matter if you are not that far out. Just get to the front of that pen.

22/01/2013 at 19:46

lol bigeater/pepecheese, you'll have 26miles to get past people!!!

I've lost my mojo this eve, really tired and just couldn't face the freezing cold for a run...first wimp out for me   Red, can I have some cake please to make me feel better? I've got tomorrow afternoon of work though n I've promised myself a long beach run, frozen sand is good!

Jim, that marathon sounds the complete opposite of what mine will  to be!!

22/01/2013 at 19:56
Pepecheese- my intended plan is average mileage of 10 mins to achieve a time around 4hrs30 but really my end goal is to simply get to the finish line. This is my first marathon and I really want to enjoy the experience so if mileage isn't going to plan I won't beat myself up over it.
Jenf- my friend says I'll be well back and I was just wondering if it really makes all that difference. I just put down what I thought was an honest time.
22/01/2013 at 20:01

bigeater, I've not done LVM, but like all big races it will be crowded at the beginning, but I think most people put honest times to be near the appropriate pacers. No point getting dragged off too fast at the beginning. Have you done any other big races??

22/01/2013 at 20:22
Biggest one so far is the great scottish run HM. That had thousands if people and flowed perfectly well. I put an honest time down for that and actually did it 6 mins quicker( put down 2hrs, did it 1.54)
That's what I thought about getting dragged off too quickly, not that bothered where I start just bothered about finishing!!
22/01/2013 at 20:41

...Passes in massive slice of cake for Jenf......we all have bad days when we don't want to train so don't beat yourself up.

Jim, Barcelona again or Croatia?

Pepecheese, yes indeed this cold weather is playing havoc with my breathing.  I'm having a quieter year in 2013 and just doing one Spring marathon (Brighton) and an autumn one (to be confirmed) with a 111 day streak in the middle.  For the last few years I've been multi-marathoning and my old body needs a bit of a rest 

Bige & Pepe, it doesn't matter where you start at VLM as you'll end up weaving past people who have started to walk really early on.  Lots of people don't have realistic expectations of their time for a marathon and they think that if they can do a 1/2 in say 2:10 then they'll get a 4:30 marathon - I don't think so!!!!! 

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 20:44
22/01/2013 at 20:58

Everyone, whatever time you put down as your estimate, get over the start line as quickly as possible and get into a steady pace as soon and as much as possible! I've started as far forward as Pen 3 and as far back as Pen 9... basically 4:00 gives you Pen 5, but 4:30+ gives Pen 9 (not sure what the other pens are for!) so estimate fast and get on with it... start too far back and you'll be caught up with people who don't know what they're doing!

22/01/2013 at 21:02

Redhead; the marathon looks like it'll be either Palma (again, did a PB of 4:43 there in 2010) or Barcelona (again, did a PB of 4:13 there in 2011). So a good race guaranteed! ...and with 35-40 miles per week now, I'll be flying round, hopefully!

Only 7.1 tonight in 65 mins though!

23/01/2013 at 16:01

Nearly got snowed in at work today!! but I did get home eventually and I did get my beach run ... It was a complete white out! SO SO much fun! miles n miles of perfect snow, didn't see another soul.

feeling much better today, thanks for the cake Red, it did the trick!

23/01/2013 at 16:04

Sounds lovely jenf!

I have got a threshold run to do tomorrow, don't really fancy doing that off road as will be hard to pace due to hills and terain. The pavements are pretty icey around here at the moment so want to try and avoid them if possible, any ideas? (Treadmill is not an option as not a gym member).

23/01/2013 at 16:15

pepecheese, i'd say forget pace, just get the miles/time on feet. Its not worth stressing about not being able to do every run as your plan says, just enjoy the run.

23/01/2013 at 16:36

pepecheese, forget pace until you're steadily running 30+ miles per week!

13,741 to 13,760 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.