sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,761 to 13,780 of 14,695 messages
23/01/2013 at 17:51
Last 2 posts have made me feel much better, that's exactly what I'm doing, building mileage and time on feet.... I'm doing it right.. Yyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiippppppppeeeee
23/01/2013 at 18:03

yeah, we all need to just settle for 3 or 4 runs a week, one long one (by now that should be 12-15 miles, up to 18 in February) one as an effort (hills or speedwork) and one or two steady/tempo runs of 6 to 8 miles.

On that sort of base, a marathon should be reasonable at 10 minute pace, giving a "comfortable" 4:30.

23/01/2013 at 20:54

Evening all,

Our lanes are all clear now and there was even a gritter through the village last night.  I think it's because the school bus collects children from there and there has been much criticism of the schools that closed.  

6 hilly miles @ marathon pace (averaged 'cos there's no way I can maintain marathon pace on those inclines) for me earlier without too many problems, thank goodness.  I did notice that I was doing a very good impression of a 'death rattle' going up the steepest hill!

I agree with Jim about the sessions except I don't think the tempo run should be more than 5 or 6 miles.  Another useful run to include is a longer 'marathon paced' run midweek if possible.  It just helps give you the confidence that you can maintain your marathon pace and allows you to practice your chosen speed.  I also think you need at least 4 runs a week unless you are prepared to do a huge amount of cross-training.  IMHO of course 

23/01/2013 at 21:48

my tempo runs tend to be 2 miles steady, 5 miles fairly fast, then steady home or stop; otherwise as Redhead says, tempo runs should be under 10k really, and beyond that far, just keep it as a marathon or half marathon paced run

24/01/2013 at 20:23

xtraining for me today, lots of deadlifts, lunges and some core work.

Sun out today, so all the snow is now slush...but I have a horrible feeling its going to freeze tonight. How are conditions with rest of you? improving?

24/01/2013 at 20:33
Short run of 3.8 miles tonight, all I could fit in in the time I had.

Redhead- you say 4 runs a week, can you give me some idea of mileage your doing in each run? I have done 3 runs this week, 11 miles, 5.5miles and 3.8 miles, I did plan 23 miles this week but felt wee niggles so done 2.7 miles less between the 2 shorter runs. Next week hopefully will be 25.5 miles broke down as 12.1 miles, 7 miles and 6.4 miles. Do you think I should spread the 2 shorter runs over 3 even shorter runs? Advise needed and welcomed!
24/01/2013 at 21:32

4 runs a week at this stage of marathon training (i.e. 3 months to go) would be something like:

15, 6, 8, 5 (the 6 or the five could be hills or speedwork, with 2-4 miles of hard stuff!)

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 21:34
24/01/2013 at 21:45

(sorry, that was a great long post with loads of useful nformation but I must have deleted it all as I clicked Send! oh well, you'll learn more later!!

26/01/2013 at 19:14

Bigeater, it's best not to compare your training with other people's schedules, just follow your own and try not to worry too much what others are doing - we all have our own agendas and schedules do vary quite a bit.  

For example, I run 5 days a week and my base mileage is 30 miles a week even when I'm not marathon training so my training will be very different from yours.  This is 'cos I often to multiple marathons and so need good endurance as I'm not usually concerned with my speed.

There is nothing wrong with the details you posted if 3 runs a week work for you.  You just have to ensure that each run has a purpose and is focussed  - ie not so-called 'junk miles'.  The important thing is consistency so that it if you choose to run 3 times a week then that is what you run each and every week - not 2 runs one week and then 3 the next.  You're doing fine so far so please try not to worry 

Today I could breathe again as it's much warmer.  Just did some Kenyan hills for 3 miles.  Tomorrow will be 15 miles, most likely in the rain.

Happy running everyone 

26/01/2013 at 20:07

10 mile rain dance tomorrow, hopeflly in a PB time, though that means going sub 84 minutes!

26/01/2013 at 20:58
Thanks redhead, 3 runs just now works but I do plan to increase to 4 as my mileage increases as I think when I'm doing 40+ miles per week it will be too much to do over 3 runs. also with my work(postman) I've got a good level of fitness and some days can feel like a good hard workout!!!!
Anyway just over the 12 miles for me tomorrow, forecast is heavy rain and wind so should be fun!
26/01/2013 at 21:15

bigeater, if you're walking 9 miles a day (as my postie mates do) then 3 runs a week would be fine and you can not worry so much!

26/01/2013 at 21:30
I,ve got a more concentrated run of around 4 miles but lots of stairs in the flats which is worse than a hill run!!!
26/01/2013 at 22:29

stairs are a great leg workout bigeater!  I remember reading somewhere of some races that involve running to the top of tall buildings...

14 miles for me today, running with a friend who is training for an ultra. I can't get my head around running for that length of time!

Glad the breathing is better Redhead. what are kenyan hills? excuse my ignorance.

27/01/2013 at 16:15

15 hilly miles for me this morning and only one darth vader moment at mile 13 which was especially steep 

Bigeater, well being a postie you'll definitely be OK with 3 runs a week as the walking will really help to stretch out your legs 

Jenf, ultras are just fab and give you a real boost!  Kenyan Hills are so-named 'cos the Kenyan runners use them in training.  You run at a steady pace up a gradient of 5% or thereabouts for a given length of time (usually 30 - 90 seconds) then turn at the top and jog down at the same pace (ie unlike hill reps where you jog back down) then turn and repeat without any recovery.  You can do them in sets of 10,  2 or 3 times (I only ever manage to do them once!!!).  They hurt, but in a good way 

27/01/2013 at 16:42
12.1 miles for me in right miserable weather, got absolutely battered with hailstones, soaked through in heavy rain and strong wind in my face but actually quite enjoyable. Tough Scotsman I am in my shorts.... Lol
Chinese takeaway for dinner tonight... I deserve it!!
27/01/2013 at 16:49

about 1:25:10 for the 10 mile race today, but I left my garmin watch at home and have no record of it. Bugger! Apparantly you can now add runs to Garmin Connect manually, so I'll see. It didn't affect my time too much as it was windy and hilly anyway (but wind behind us and downhill for 2nd half!) but rather annoying not knowing mile splits and whether or when to push harder. Apparantly I did 44:38 for the first 5 miles (about a minute slower than last year) and so 40:32 for 2nd half (almost the same as last year), total time approx 65 seconds slower on their clock.

27/01/2013 at 21:40

Thanks Red, Think I may do some kenyan hills this week... not convinced about ultras yet though!

Bigeater, well done braving the elements, I find strong wind worst to run in, I really struggle.

Nice running Jim.

28/01/2013 at 08:45

Morning all,

Jim, nice running!  Not like you to leave your man gadget behind 

Core and cross training for me today.  It's a lovely bright morning but rain is forecast for later.

Bigeater, I wished I'd worn my shorts yesterday as I was too hot.  Thankfully the strong wind cooled me down but I didn't get hailed upon.

Jen, once the ultra seed has been planted in your brain you won't be able to resist. I found them a great aid to my fund-raising as I don't think anyone, except me, really believed that I'd run 50 miles (actually 52.4) to celebrate my 50th birthday.  I'd love to do the South Downs Way or one in the Scottish highlands but my husband would be worried sick about me running through the night as I'm rather clumsy 

Happy Monday everyone 

28/01/2013 at 14:42
Well soaked through again at work, actually more enjoyable running in it than working in it! Not a bad shift though and got round in just under 3 hours so nice walk after my LSR yesterday.
Redhead- the west highland way is a ultra up this way, full distance is 95 miles and I think you get 30 hours to do it, I know a couple of crazy people who have done it. There's also other ones in Scotland that range from 33 miles upwards but for me I just can't comprehend running for those distances.
13,761 to 13,780 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.