sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,801 to 13,820 of 14,695 messages
03/02/2013 at 14:50
Superb Jim, a massive well done to you. Your 10k time is very similar to mine.
Well I did 14.5 miles today in 2hrs 25mins and it was an absolute struggle, I was out on the beer last night so that probably didn't help!
My neighbour came back from his run at the same time and he had done 18 miles in 2hrs 28 mins so that deflated me even more! He suggested I try a cold bath OMG that was worse than the run! Freezing cold!
03/02/2013 at 16:45

I could never do cold baths either! it was cold enough on the run with the thermometer at the start saying -0°C!!!!

and speaking of other people's long runs - even with a shower and 90 minute drive from the race, we still got back to Lincoln as clubmates were finishing their 18 mile runs. Hmmm! 

03/02/2013 at 17:36

well done Jim!

The thought of a cold bath..  nah.. I'm a wuss!  I'm a convert to skins though!

05/02/2013 at 08:19

steady paced recovery run last night, 9.6 miles at 9:35 pace. Ha ha! Still windy, but now we have settled snow again, so fun sprints tonight methinks!

05/02/2013 at 13:23

Can someone please give me a kick after work this eve.. I need to go for a run and I'm really not feeling it...!!

05/02/2013 at 15:28
Will do jenf... Happy thoughts and go for it!
Well I went out and did a tough 8 miles earlier. The snow and wind was battering against me so I decided to do a 4 mile out loop and went into the wind going out thinking I would have wind behind me on way back but you'll probably have guessed that just as I turned on the way back the snow stopped, the wind calmed and the sun came out!!! Good run though along quiet country roads with plenty of hills with an average mile of 9.05 mins.
Working tomorrow so that will act as a good recovery walk, no stairs tomorrow but more mileage as it's quite a posh area with long driveways and will take a good 3.5 hours to get round.
05/02/2013 at 15:42

Afternoon all,

Some good runs this weekend.

Well done Jim you little speedster!

My 15 miler was 15 minutes slower than last weekend 'cos of the cold, biting wind which affected my breathing.  Still, it's all time on feet   I did 1/2 my usual intervals today without incident which is an improvement on last week.  Oh and I seem to have got myself a place in VLM even though I said I wasn't going to do it this year.  As it's the week after Brighton I shall be treating it as a purely fun day out and will be doing my knitting again 

Jenf, get out the door for a run after work please, OR ELSE!  (I don't know what, but just OR ELSE!!!)

05/02/2013 at 16:09

JENF, RUN! I'm out for sprints in the snow...!  

05/02/2013 at 16:14

just in case you didn't hear me, Jenf,

JENF, RUN!

05/02/2013 at 17:26
Home from work yet jenf. Get out and RUN!!
05/02/2013 at 17:46
I hear you.. thank you! I'm just putting my trainers on ......see you later
05/02/2013 at 20:19

Thank you all for the encouragement  LOL as I was driving home I was telling myself if nobody had been on the thread then I wouldn't have to run! how come you all chose this afternoon to post!!! ? Anyway, I'm glad I got out there, so thank you.

05/02/2013 at 21:16

if I had to run a set of hills in pi55ing sleet and gales there's no way I'm letting you lot pootle home in heated cars to sit around watching tv all evening!

Well done for beating the gremlins Jenf, glad we were able to help!

06/02/2013 at 14:49

Hey All,

i seem like a ninja forum poster this year.... in... post.... out.... not to be seen for a couple of weeks,,,

My running has, in the last few weeks, been sporadic to say the least... but i have just accepted i will run when i can and not worry too much... but on a positive note, 10k in 51 on friday... i set out for a plod and smashed the last mile under 7 mins... so must be keeping the fitness up. Ran a naughty little 13.2 miles on monday night after work and going out for a little 10k ce soir! I am now, after some years understanding that it's all about time on your feet... so if i only have 20 mins, that's 2 miles and 2 miles more than i would have done had i not gone out..

not really following a program this year... tried, but failed... i think as long as i can churn out a 20/21 by first/second week in March, i will be good for brighton...

Red.... what's going on with your breathing then? how'd you get on at the asthma clinic? I had fisherman's friend the other night before my run (easy on the jokes) and my lungs just opened up when i stepped outside... admitedly i have been struggling this year with my chest too...

06/02/2013 at 15:30

Afternoon all,

Welcome back 'sham Plodder.  Glad to hear you're doing OK and the concept of a mile in under 7 is quite alien to me!  At the asthma clinic they just told me to up my dosage if my peak flow dropped.  Perhaps I'd better have a Fisherman's friend too as my asthma has been a right pain in the cold weather 

Having moaned about asthma, it was warmer today when I did my run and I had a comfortable progression run of 5 miles so am feeling happy again   However, there's a bitter wind whipping up now and we've had some sleet so I might be complaining again tomorrow 

06/02/2013 at 17:21

Hey Sham plodder, you may have to change your name if you can knock out a 10k in 51, good running!

No snow down here, but we've a v strong biting wind! I really struggle in the wind, I nearly got lifted off my feet when I was running with it behind me! Apparently someones dog got blown over into the harbour!! I'm keeping away from the edge

06/02/2013 at 18:05

well done Sham, and good to see an improvement's on the way, Redhead!

06/02/2013 at 21:01
Hi all, thought I'd join in the thread, running VLM this yr for second time, ran 4.32 last time so hoping for 4.15-4.20 time. Had lots of injury problems last time but so far (fingers crossed) training is going well this time.
Jenf, I can def empathise about the wind, we have some some strong stuff here and running into it is such a pain!
06/02/2013 at 21:10

welcome Andrew! are you doing any pre-VLM races?

good luck!

06/02/2013 at 21:14
Hi Jim, I'm only doing the one, water for life half in marlow. Last time I did reading and silverstone, but until dec I was struggling again with long term injury so didnt enter any of the big ones in case I had to withdraw
Which marathons are everyone running?
13,801 to 13,820 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.