sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,861 to 13,880 of 14,704 messages
15/02/2013 at 08:14
Reminded myself last night why I don't enjoy interval training! Warmed up for twoiles then ran 6.30min mile followed by two mon walk/slow jog, six min fast an two min slow twice more before half mile cool down. Took weekly total to a nice round 31 (just for ur ocd jim ) with 6-7 more due tonight.
Anyone got any good suggestions for interval/fartlek training , I'm happy with tempo runs, long runs and steady runs but have never been good at getting out for speed work. Very few hills of note round here to work with either
15/02/2013 at 08:59

my "favourite" sessions (i.e. the ones that make me hurt in the morning) are:

9 x (2 mins @ HMP + 1 min rec + 2 mins @ 10kP + 1 min rec)

20 x (400m or 1/4 mile @ 10k pace or faster + 1 min rec)

6 x 3 mins @ 10kP + 2 min rec (undulating course)

5 x 1 mile @ 10kP +1/4 mile rec

Week 1: 20 mins @ MP + 20 mins @ HMP + 20 mins @ 10kP (continuous)
Week 2: 30 mins @ MP + 30 mins @ HMP + 30 mins @ 10kP (continuous)
Week 3: 40 mins @ MP + 40 mins @ HMP + 40 mins @ 10kP (continuous)

The basic purpose of intervals is to get used to running at faster than normal paces to make running (movement and breathing) more efficient and to get used to running at a faster pace. I would prefer to do the fast runs for a couple of weeks, then move onto the longer ones to make my body used to running at 10k pace in a run that overall, is longer than 10k. Increasing 1 mile reps to 1.25, 1.5, 2 mile reps means getting used to it so that in a 10k race you can either do that pace easily or better, go faster!

15/02/2013 at 20:57

I like the sound of some of those sessions Jim, thanks. I like mixing my training up a bit, keeps the legs guessing!

Happy running this weekend folks, parkrun for me tomorrow.

16/02/2013 at 13:12

hey, I knocked another 16secs off my 5k pb today   it's SO hard to geting faster!

16/02/2013 at 13:25

excellent! well done! what's the time now?!

I'm aiming for a half marathon PB in April (haven't done much speedwork yet though!) and then a 5k PB and marathon PB in the late summer / autumn so it's going to be a busy training year! for the 5k I'll be doing long runs (leading to the marathon anyway) and lots of sprinty type sessions,probably based on that 20x400m but with a 400m target time of about 6:30 pace!!!!

Targets are
10k: beat the 48:41 from the beginning of the month
5k: I have a bet that I'll beat 21:45, which is 7:00 per mile! oops!!!
HM: I really wanjt to beat my 1996 time of 1:46:00!!!!
26.2: just to beat 4:13, which shouldn't be too hard if I get close to the other targets!

16/02/2013 at 13:38
16/02/2013 at 14:40
Why mo? I don't understand it either. At least I can tell people I've raced against mo farah!!!
16/02/2013 at 15:38

I passed Tegla Laroupe 8 miles in, in 2010. Her gold medals and world records didn't count for much that year! (she was running with Richard Branson though...)

17/02/2013 at 08:17
It's Sunday, I'm up before the kids and sat in front of me is a bowl of porridge, that can only mean one thing... It must be long run day!!! Good luck to everyone going out today, weather doesn't look too bad for once!
20 miles today, only problem is I've got quite bad conjunctivitis in both eyes (something got into one and irritated it when running in the snow on Monday) so having the energy in my legs is less of a problem than will I be able to see where I'm going? Maybe I should do a 'Mo' and stop half way?
Jen, well done on improving your pb! So what is it now? And good luck Jm with your targets!
17/02/2013 at 15:17
Afternoon all, hope you don't mind me joining you?
Did 15 (and a smidge) today in 2.24 so quite pleased with that. Problem is, my legs are soooo stiff now I can barely walk!
Did 12 miles last Sunday and that was okay - have I just been a bit over ambitious with my mileage?
Also, I need some nutrition help....any pointers?
Thank you
17/02/2013 at 15:54

Hi Denise, welcome  legs are going to complain once you start upping mileage, usually follow 10% rule and don't increase by more than that. I find it helps to lay on my back, legs up against a wall - encourages lactic to drain, and obviously do stretches and then stretch more! What sort of nutrition advice are you after, pre run, post run, loose weight or just general?

Jim/andrew - my 5k pb is now 26.21 I am desperate to see that 25 one day!! I really struggle to get my legs moving quicker, I  am slowly chipping away at the time though.

andrew- hope you find your way back home from your run

its been a lovely sunny day here today - if you're looking out of a window!  the wind was like a brick wall to run against, I feel battered n bruised after my 12 miles.

17/02/2013 at 17:05
Hi jenf,
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about the stiff muscles and had a lightbulb moment....if it was easy everyone would be doing it! It should hurt!!
Looking for general nutrition advice, specifically help with weight loss. I had pizza last night which I considered okay as I needed the carbs, but in the back of my mind, I 'knew' that wasn't right.
I've lost the knowledge of how to eat well if that makes sense?!
17/02/2013 at 17:08
Welcome Denise and well done on your 15 miles, what are you training for? Is that time normal for you because if your training for a marathon it could be your doing your long slow runs too fast? As jenf said follow the 10% increase rule each week, I have and so far so good. Nutrition wise today for the first time I used a gel and jelly babies during the run and also have a isotonic drink on my belt. I was fine with that. 15 minutes in a cold bath afterwards then into hot shower will help the legs but the cold bath is TORTURE!!
Well I did 19.1 miles today and my second half 9.5 miles were 5 mins quicker than the first 9.5 miles so I'm well happy but sore in places I didn't realise I could be sore !!
17/02/2013 at 21:43

30k race in 2 hours 52... that's a slight 24 mins quicker than my previous 30k race PB. YEEEEEEEEEEE HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Denise, I'll nag you into running an eating properly soon enough!

Well done all those doing LSRs, keep it up!

18/02/2013 at 09:46

Morning all! Amazing result there Iccle Jim, well done.  

Bigeater, I'm training for London!  Well done on your 19 miles complete with negative split (I've NEVER managed to do that!) 

18/02/2013 at 21:32

JIm - well done! thats a huge chunk to knock of your PB!

Nice LSR there bigeater!

Denise, the first thing I did to improve my diet was to stop 'junk' foods. Pizza is fine, but make your own, n put lots of veg on it. Breakfast is a really important meal, porridge/fruit etc much better than packet sugary cereals. Aim for lots of colour on your plate!

Just some x training for me this eve, some upper body wts and core stuff. really enjoyed it.

18/02/2013 at 22:23

my diet now consists of muesli and coffee for breakfast, fruit at breaktime, rice / pasta meal for lunch or a small gravy meal, and baked potato / pork chop / salad for dinner. I also have slimfast type milkshakes for lunch after a LSR rather than snacking on chocs

18/02/2013 at 22:26

7.6 mile recovery run this evening! goodness knows what this week's mileage is going to finish on... could be very high as I'm not at work!

19/02/2013 at 11:30

Hello all,

I am training for London, it will be my second time (last one was in 2006!). I finally got a ballot place after trying for 6 years

Denise I sympathise, pre-serious marathon training I would of considered myself a balanced healthy eater... Now because I think i need to eat more carbs im turning to ...pizza and chips etc... logic has gone out of the window

I have a question... I can not recall from my last marathon training when to start taking energy gels in training. They definately helped last time but when to start training with them. Ran 14 miles this weekend and felt ok....advise welcome?  

19/02/2013 at 12:29

I took a gel for the first time on Sunday - 'ate' it about about mile 14 of a 15 mile run so nit sure it will have done me any favours. 

When I trained for London last time, I didnt take any gels, but I'd stop mid LSR to buy a lucozade drink and then carry on just steadily sipping away at that.  I never felt the need to have the huge boost from a gel.

Saying that though, it might be worth trying it to see if it makes a difference - that was the reson behind my logic on Sunday.

Diet has improved! I've had loads of nuts and seeds and fruit with low fat yoghurt, currently topping up with a home made bannana smoothie!

Making Butternut squash soup tonight along with my homemade WW chicken curry with rice - yum!

Hoping to do at least 8 miles tonight.  

13,861 to 13,880 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.