sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,881 to 13,900 of 14,695 messages
19/02/2013 at 14:00
Hi fenn and welcome. The advice I was given was take the gels before you'll need them as taking them when you need them is too late!! The idea is to have energy consistently through the distance rather than hitting the wall then trying to top up. On Sunday I knew I was doing 18-19 miles so took a gel at 13.5 miles although I didn't need it at that point. Also I carry a few jelly beans to suck on as well, if you're concentrating on not choking it's takes the mind off the running!!

Well a nice 10k run this morning for me, legs are still a bit stiff after Sunday's long run so nothing too hard and feel fine now.
19/02/2013 at 16:35

Don't take any energy (gel or drink) in the first hour, but in a race you can ake a gel once an hour or so I suppose after that. I don't take any energy on LSRs, infact usually I don't drink either, so my body is now fairly used to running slightly dehydrated. In a race I tend to drink a sip once every 3 or 6 miles, depending on the weather. In the summer I'll sip each mile from 3 onwards.

Gonna miss the club run tonight as I have to go to Nottingham, so just done what might be the session - 6 x figure of eights on a couple of short hills. 0.4 mile lap, each uphill is about 100 yards long, but it's done at a sprint rather than a run... so most of them were at about 6:20 pace. 7.3 miles total, giving a "week so far" of 33.6 miles... not bad for 3 days! rest tomorrow, try and let that blister heal!!!

19/02/2013 at 19:42

Hi fenn, welcome to the thread   To gel or not to gel, an age old debate! Lots of the hard core runners seem to run really well without, but I personally need to top up my energy frequently, (even when I 'm not running). I'll take my first gel or beans after 45mins,(I agree with bigeater, take before you think you need them)  then every 40 mins till I finish running. It works for me, but I think its a very personal thing, so try a few different ways/times during a training run and  see what works for you. Start trialing them now so you've worked out your plan well in advance of London.

Denise- it didn't you long to get back on track with the diet did it!

Anyone seen Redhead lately? ?

19/02/2013 at 21:31
Ha! Only 1 day in, but so far so good.
Nice 8 miler tonight, felt easy, heart rate is staying low, feeling good!
Jim that's a lot of miles! Do you start your week on a Sunday?
19/02/2013 at 22:05
Today was the first day I didn't stick to my programme. Did a 30min speed session rather than 60mins! But I figure something is better than nothing...However I think it has done me the world of good as I am really looking forward to doing a good running session tomorrow. One of the reasons I have come on to the forum last couple of weeks Is because I haven't been enjoying training. So despitenot sticking to my programme feeling really positive and excited!

Denise: 8 miles midweek good work!
19/02/2013 at 23:19

yes, Garmin is American, so it started counting from Sundays; it's a habit now!

20/02/2013 at 09:09

Morning all,

Been away on a course but still did all my runs - 18 LSR last Sunday then rest Mon, intervals Tues and 10 miles @ MP today 

Hi to all the newbies and welcome to the thread!  Haven't read back yet but will have a look later and see what you're all doing.

Gels/smelz!  Don't use them myself.  Rarely take on water on long runs except in warm weather and my nod to a sports drink on long runs (over 15 miles) in summer is diluted fruit juice with a pinch of salt.  When I first started I listened to all the conflicting advice and over hydrated and felt sick on energy drinks!  In off-road marathons I'll happily eat biccies/bananas/cake/mars bar at the aid stations.  Oh and I don't eat before any of my training runs either although I will have brekkie before a marathon.

We're all different and you just need to find what suits you best by trial and error.

Happy running everyone 

20/02/2013 at 12:02

welcome back Redhead, missed ya! xx

rest day today, and having slept in 'till nearly 11am I suppose I was a bit tired!

20/02/2013 at 12:06

6 miles steady run for me! felt good and legs didnt feel as tired... so taking it easy yesterday helped...

20/02/2013 at 12:33

Jeez... i am struggling with time and motivation..... managed 17 weekend before last....then 5 last thurs...nothing at the weekend 6 on monday... may go out in my lunch break in a bit, but only lkely to squeeze about 4 in... have been playing water polo and cycling to work... but that's standard... i just cant get out the door.... i know i really need to hit a 20 miler in the next few weeks... but I cant even find the time to do the midweek runs...   moan of self pity over....

20/02/2013 at 12:36

that was helpful rant actually.... decidied to leave my bike at work run home from work... 4 miles, could add a couple, and run in tomorrow... again, add a bit and cycle home! sorted.... could knock the weekely miles up to 18 by tomorrow, a few on friday and smash the long run at the weekend.... back on track..... !

my birthday tuesday... get to replace my 2010 gel nimbus,.,,,,

20/02/2013 at 14:04

well done 'sham, just keep digging into the mileage and it'll build naturally

20/02/2013 at 14:15

Well done on the self-motivation 'sham!  Water polo sounds fun.  I'm a gel nimbus gal as they really suit my midfoot strike.  My last couple of pairs were purple too which is my favourite colour 

Thanks Jim xxx  You were a layzee boy this morning though 

20/02/2013 at 14:51

lazy? after 33 miles in 3 days including a hill session and a hilly PB? nah, just bloomin' knackered!

20/02/2013 at 14:54

Only this morning did I lok at my trainers to see what they were in advance of getting a new pair (Done 1 marathon, a couple of halves and a handful of 10k's in them) and they're Gel Nimbus's!! 

Managed 4 miles at lunchtime at a pretty quick pace, Here's where I need some help - I do little more with my training other than getting the miles in and the odd short & fast run, I need to do hills and or fartlek but I dont know how to approach that strategically - can anyone point me in the right direction?? 

Thank you 

20/02/2013 at 15:19

By the way, I'm Densie McGeachy - decided to retain some mystery!! 

20/02/2013 at 16:35

good hill sessions:

• 5 or 6 miles, continuous ups and downs - run at LSR average pace
  • 4 or 5 miles, as laps / repeats of 3 or 4 hills or lots, but as short hard efforts with 1/4 - 1/2 mile recovery between. Run up at fast pace...
  • 1 hill, 1/4 mile long, sprint up, jog down. If you're new to hill running, do five (no resting though, that's what the down is for!) or if you're experienced, 10 will be best. Try to add a mile warmup and mile recovery or you'll hurt too much!
  • mix it up with church steps, grass verges etc. or with occasional 50 or 100 yard sprints.
  • where possible, always wear a heart rate monitor for these runs! aim to hit the same max HR at the top / top half of each hill - you may slow down, but so long as your HR is the same, you know you're working equally hard on each hill. 90%+ guys!!!!

21/02/2013 at 09:53

Thanks Jim - I'll be hilling tonight 

21/02/2013 at 10:54

IT'S A HILL. GET OVER IT!!!

Learn to love hills... they're great places for catching people in races and you can really peeve them by sprinting down as well!

They also build and or tone muscle, strengthen, align, and make you altogether a better and faster runner!

21/02/2013 at 12:12

i dont mind hills at all....

I am sure its a well known phrase, because i cant believe i would have come up with such a profound statement, but, 'the world is flat once you learn to run hills'...

I totally agree Jim... i always pass people on hills going up them and down them... just pump thos arms on the way up and shorten your stride... and on the way down... lean forward and let the legs go...dont brake!

Ran home from work last night... cold, but really enjoyed the run! sacked off tis morning, so going to churn out a cheeky little 4 tonight...

I got Gel Nimbus at the time cos i was a bit heavier and needed the cushioning... I am going to try something elso this time, partly because of budget... so any suggestions for a neutral shoe with plenty of space for my small (7.5?) but wide feet that dont cost the earth would be very welcome...

Red... Water Polo is awesome and THE most physically demanding sport.....  I love it.. great for core, great for legs, flexibility, strength, areobic and anerobic....It's pretty awesome.. if ever any of you get a chance to watch it played competatively, do it.. its a great spectator sport too,, and a bit violent grr!

13,881 to 13,900 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.