sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,901 to 13,920 of 14,695 messages
21/02/2013 at 17:33
  • 1 hill, 1/4 mile long, sprint up, jog down. If you're new to hill running, do five (no resting though, that's what the down is for!) or if you're experienced, 10 will be best. Try to add a mile warmup and mile recovery or you'll hurt too much!

Hi Jim, this is my plan for tonight, but I make that just over 2mins of uphill sprinting - I dont think I can sprint for that long!!

21/02/2013 at 17:58

anything from 200 to 400 yards will do! even if it's only 50 yards of hill, it'll do... just increase the number of reps!

21/02/2013 at 20:39

Evening everyone  

loving the hill workouts!

weather turned really cold/windy again here, does running against a 10mph wind count as much as running up a hill?  

21/02/2013 at 21:00

wind running is much worse than hills! mostly because you can't see it and can't predict it!

it's 90 minutes since I stopped running, the heating's been on in the house for 30 mins and I'm STILL COLD! aargh! fast 6 miler tonight; 51 mins or so, and the weekend's blisters have filled again ;-(

39.6 miles for the week and with blisters and a race on Sunday, it might just stay as that! still, best mileage of the year so far (infact, best since March last year!)

21/02/2013 at 21:09
Club run tonight, 7.2 miles at average 8.14 and a good hilly route. Bit fast for me but enjoyed it.
21/02/2013 at 21:31

good pace, bigeater

22/02/2013 at 09:06

Great run Bigeater, I'd be well pleased with that. 

Hill are TOUGH! I measured a 1/4 mile hill, but only made it halfway so made that my marker.  Aimed for 6 reps but lost count! I've just plugged in my garmin to see I did 7! Kept my HR between 90 & 95% at the top of each rep. 

I feel though that as I only covered 3 miles and was out for half an hour, that it might not have been an effective session - please can you assure me otherwise?! 

Thanks, 

22/02/2013 at 09:55

Morning all,

I LOVE (well, most of the time) hills!  When we moved here 11 years ago I hadn't been running very long and I hadn't run any hills before so I found it really tough for a while.  Each time I went out I'd run a little bit further up each hill before I had to walk until eventually the walking bits disappeared. They have made me stronger even though I'm a comparatively slow runner and they really help with stamina 

Denise, indeed they are tough and that's what's so good about them.  Your session was absolutely fine and a 30 minute hill session in 30 minutes is a great quality session.  You may hear talk of 'junk' miles, of which we long distance runners can sometimes be guilty, so a focussed session like that is perfect.  Try doing one session a week and it will make you stronger 

Bigeater, you are a speedster!

Jim, excellent mileage young man.  What's your race this weekend?  PB?

Today I'm having a recovery run of 5.5 miles at some stage.  It will be a hilly route but I won't be attacking them - that's saved for tomorrow when I've got a Kenyan Hills session planned - that should  bring out the Darth Vader in me   Then it's another 18 miler on Sunday and our forecast is for possible snow!

Happy running everyone and stay safe and injury-free.

22/02/2013 at 10:11

Morning all,

I did a steady 6miles today in 53mins. And agree its COLD, and by the time I was on my way to work it was very lightly snowing! ]

Touchwood I have managed to avoid blisters so far, im doing this by rubbing vaseline on my feet before I head out on my slow run.

No hills in my area so doesn't appear in my training. No doubt I would benefit from hill sessions but hey ho! Denise I think the shorter tougher sessions are really important to training plans. (short speed or tempo sessions) I really think they make a difference to fitness levels.

22/02/2013 at 10:13

Redhead are you training for a particular marathon? Im training for LVM and only thinking about doing a 15miles this weekend.. (begining to think I am behind in my training) everyone on here seems to be doing such big distances....:-/

22/02/2013 at 10:26

That's great, Denise! shortening the effort distance is absolutely fine, and good thinking, well done! you can gradually build up that distance as you become stronger! I would be tempted to add a mile flat warm up beforehand, and then as a cooldown, which would make your mileage seem better and also allow muscles to prepare and recover.

Not likely to run today as I want that blister to heal properly! I've even succumbed t putting a compeed on it (hate those things!) which will at least protect it during the day. Pub birthday meal and beers tonight so the calorie count is going to rocket! oh well, ha ha!

The race is an undulating half with patches of grass and XC so most definitely no chance of beating that 18 year old PB! 1:55 would be nice though, I did 1:58 last time...

22/02/2013 at 12:58

Hi all,

ive been a bit quiet on here this week, glad all your runs seem to be going well!

welcome to Denise and Fenn, Im also training for VLM, this will be my second time, loved it so much first time around when I got a bonded place, this time was lucky enough to get a ballot place to dont have the pressure of having to raise a specific amount.

sorry to hear about your blisters Jim,  I find that for longer runs using pasters on your toes and double layered running socks is enough to avoid anything too serious.  enjoy the pub though

Denise I agree with Red, your session sounds very worth while, its not about the number of miles all  the time rather the quality of the session (something Im not very good at doing!)

simple 6-7 miles tonight before long sunday rears its head again! (tho think im going to cut to about 16 miles this week after 20 last time)

22/02/2013 at 15:19

Enjoy the food and beers Jim 

Hi again Andrew.  Good luck with your long run this weekend.

Fenn, yep, I've got Brighton first and then London the week after.  Please don't worry too much about what others are doing as we all have different aims - as you can see, I'm gearing up for 2 marathons on consecutive weekends followed by a running streak of 111 days so my training needs don't really fit into the usual marathon schedules  Edited to add that was a great time for your 6 miler!

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 15:20
22/02/2013 at 16:16

oops! accidentally went out and did 6.5 miles; most careless of me! means I can now consume 1300 calories tonight without getting told off!

22/02/2013 at 21:49

Brilliant philosophy Jim, -  run to eat!I

I've got a busy day tomorrow marshalling at the Llanelli Ultra, just dug out all my arctic trekking gear as forcast is v v cold with snow showers!!  Wonder if I'll pick up the ultra bug?  

22/02/2013 at 22:24
Thanks everyone for your advice, got a long run tomorrow 16 miler with a fellow lm'er, although Em is pretty much forest gimp so it'll be interesting to see how I get on.

Happy birthday Jim, I'm sure you will have enjoyed the beers even more! I'm out tomorrow night

Don't get too cold tomorrow Jen, brrrrrr!

Have a fab weekend all
22/02/2013 at 23:30

myfitnesspal.com says I have consumed over 3100 calories today, which with a 6.5 mile run means a net deficit of nearly 1200... oh well, that's the price of a mixed grill, 3 beers and "chocolate indulgence sundae"!!!

now time for Cinderjimbo to get to bed before midnight!

23/02/2013 at 08:01
Only 3 beers????? Lightweight!

Hope you had great night.
23/02/2013 at 09:30

I could only fit 3 beers after all that food!

24/02/2013 at 10:09

16 mile LSR yesterday except it wasnt that slow, averaging 9.18 m/m! The last couple of miles were pretty much silent! 

What's everyone else done? 

13,901 to 13,920 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.