sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,961 to 13,980 of 14,695 messages
27/02/2013 at 15:45
I'm sore today the bottom of my butt/ top of my hamstring is sore and Im grumpy. Defo no running today and will wait and see how it is tomorrow, may take another rest day tomorrow to be on the safe side.
Training been going so well over the last 3 months but recently I seen to be hurting more and lost the enjoyment. Need to get my mojo back
27/02/2013 at 16:25

bigE is that a sciatica problem or piriformis? might be worth looking up and doing some extra stretches... or is it just a generic pain in the arse?!

27/02/2013 at 16:58
Only just occured so hoping it nothing more than a pain in the arse!! Font know what piriformis is so going to have to google that. Think I'm just knackered, with work and training I seem to be on my feet constantly so think my body is saying..... REST!!
27/02/2013 at 19:44

piriformis is a pain in the arse, simples!

it's actually a muscle that tends to tighten and push against the sciatic nerve, hurting like hell!

27/02/2013 at 19:47

Yep I think rest is def in order for you bigeater, it may just be the toll of the extra mileage you are now doing. Do next run without worrying about pace or time, just go out to enjoy a run, dump the garmin.

Jim, you can't keep treating blisters by more running..

Fenn- how'd the knee hold up to todays run?

Denise, I do the same as you with runs on consecutive days, some marathon programmes that have a few 20milers tell you to split them over 2 days.

Red - watch this 'ultra' space

27/02/2013 at 22:55
hi all, todays run was good thanks. There was no sign of knee ache so relatively happy however have planned to get a sports massage as I suspect because it may be an early warning sign. like you big eater I have a tight muscle that I have not been able to stretch out at the top of leg and bum cheek above the problem knee so wonder if it could be connected. Even if not a sports massage can only be helpful. Will be googling those muscles with interest Iccle Jim.

my training programme is Intermediate Bupa marathon programme and has me running consecutive days. I think with the prinicpal of getting legs used to tiredness.

Denise wow a 12miler and 14 miler in the same week. My longest midweek run is 7miles! That will put yiu in really good shape for the marathon,

enjoy the midweek runs people....Oh excitment of the day was a celeb spot ...Victoria Beckham....Well chuff with that spot!
27/02/2013 at 23:06
Redhead, brilliant race report and what an achievement, well done xxxx

Fenn, digging the celeb spot!

Huge thumbs down for blisters and sore muscles, dislike ???? take it easy guys, you don't want it to get worse and affect your race.
28/02/2013 at 00:48

Hello all!!!

Have battled with injury for aeons but am now beginning to feel some hope that I may be able to get on the start line. However if my Compartment Syndrome (right leg) flares up again it'll be all over.

Jim, I know I'm late in the fray but what socks are you wearing for your running (re Blisters)? 

28/02/2013 at 08:57

usual ones are 1000 mile padded... wearing dual layer ones tonight to see what happens! my weekly mileage is already slashed (46 last week, won't make 26 this week!) so I might even cut tonight's run down to 4 or 5 miles and rest again Friday, Saturday. I could take Sunday off too (got my brother's kids for the night so won't run 'till pm anway) and no race the following Sunday either. 20 miler after that!

28/02/2013 at 09:28

Morning all,

Feeling all spritely after my 10 miler yesterday and my breathing was OK.  Hill reps later 

Hi Scud, great name!  Hope you manage to work through your compartment syndrome - not nice, I believe Paula Radcliffe suffered?

Denise, thanks.  I think we've got some lurkers on the thread as there were loads of views of that particular post via RW!

Re Sports massage - it's brilliant, it's kept this old biddy off the injury bench many times and it really gets into the knotty bits.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  For anyone who hasn't experienced it before though I should warn that the term 'massage' doesn't quite describe the process! 

28/02/2013 at 10:59

Trying to get a sports massage appointment this morning, seems to be as hard as getting a marathons place :-0

6 miles  this morning.., but it was a slog... I always find the first 4ks are hard work and then I relax into it...anyone else find this?

ScudUlike hi... Compartment Syndrome feel for you... have fingers crossed...

28/02/2013 at 11:02

Jim, I've work Falke RU3s for years which have got me through 6 marathons and all of the training without ever giving me a blister - tried 1000 double layers and didn't like.

Appreciate it's all horses for courses though.

Have been focussing on my running style to keep the compartment syndrome at bay since returning to running in December after 14 months complete rest. can feel it in the background but okay. Before the rest literally couldn't run 1/2 mile without stopping in agony.

Signing up to a 1hr workshop this weekend with the "Running School" local to my home which may offer a few more pointers to pain-free running.

28/02/2013 at 12:11

Scud - I've just googled Compartment Syndrome - it's awful  Great to hear that you're back running though. 

How did you get it? 

28/02/2013 at 12:52

Got to say that after just looking through the Wikipedia article about it I am beginning to question why I am doing this again... am hoping that if I can run without pain I'm not doing any further damage...

I have the Chronic Exercise variety in my right anterior calf. It came on in Nov 2011 a couple of weeks after I had run in that year's Abingdon Marathon.

01/03/2013 at 06:56

Hi All, not posted for a while.

What are you thoughts on my training?

Previously when I ran a marathon I was running 5-6 times a week, no real structure, just going out and running. I found myself worn out by the end of it and pretty bored of running to be honest. This time I have gone for a different training plan, I am running 3 times a week but each run has more purpose, Tuesday will be speed or hills, thursday will be a 8-11 tempo run and then on Sunday I will run a long run at around my marathon pace - 9:45 minutes (this is always on a hilly route due to where i live). On my off days I will do a bit of core work at home time permitting (nothing to strenuous TBH!). Eventually I will run  3 x 20 milers and 1 x 20 miler on my long run . I would have to mention that i have 3 kids and work a stressful shift work job, which is also reason for going for this type of training plan! I have much more enjoyed this training plan and have felt benefits from the decent recovery periods after each run. I have heard people saying running 3 times a week will not be enough but I guess everyone is different.

01/03/2013 at 07:48

Hi pepe, there are plenty of people who choose to run a schedule of 3 runs a week for a marathon but, as you say, they have to be focussed sessions.  You also need to do equal amounts of cross-training eg swimming/cycling/rowing/aerobics to reap the rewards.  I tried it myself once but it didn't suit me as I prefer to run.  Which marathon are you aiming for?

I'l be doing a recovery plod later.

01/03/2013 at 08:28

Hi Redhead,

I am doing London, to be honest I just don't have the time to do x training due to work and family. I try to do core work on my days off at home as this is all i have time for. Oh well i guess I will report back after the 21/04 to let you know how it went!!

01/03/2013 at 11:51

pepe, the simple answer is that the more you do, the stronger and fitter you'll be which means the longer you'll be able to keep up with a faster pace.

The upper limit on this level then depends on your fitness, lifestyle, time, and nutrition. Ordinarily most runners won't do more than 5-7 hours of exercise a week before getting tired enough tha it affects next week's efforts.

I'm happy with 3 days a week for those who can't fit in more, but as others have said, those 3 have to be good sessions. LSR, spped/hills and tempo runs are the key runs, so you'll probably not do too badly. 3 x 20 milers is a good pre-26.2 base too.

01/03/2013 at 12:00

pepe... i am in a similar boat... 3 young children and a single parent working full time... i would love to have the time and energy to run more, but i cant. I am accepting it... i fit in core when i can..

Jim.... get yourself to minor injuries and get them to dress your blisters with a proper dressing, i cant think of the name of the stuff, but it's like rubber skin, sticks like sh*t and will stay on long enough for your feet to heal underneath it.... and maybe try varying your socks... maybe use some single layer ones on short runs...duel layer on long runs... those duel layer socks are magic...

it is still an injury... and the usual advice would be to rest.....

01/03/2013 at 12:03

hey red... just read on your blog about your asthma... dairy plays a big part for me... and as i am sure i've said before, my asthma is allegergy induced, not exercise... Dairy is well known for causing problems.... also, ibuprofen??

13,961 to 13,980 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.