sub or about 4h30 hopefully

13,981 to 14,000 of 14,695 messages
01/03/2013 at 12:20

cheers Sham, I worse a compeed plaster last week and it just curled up around during Sunday's race! I'm resting it over the weekend, and will probably just do gym cycling and rowing instead of the LSR.

01/03/2013 at 12:37

The stuff they have at the hospital is industrial shizzle designed for pressure sores which can be cut perfect to size.... its helped me in the past... they may give you a bit extra too... it may be worth a visit.... my local minor injuries is awesome for things like that..

01/03/2013 at 12:39

ok, nice idea! I run past that way often enough!!!!

01/03/2013 at 18:07

I think the advise I am about to give is more preventative... when I did my first marathon I was blister prone so put vaseline down on foot and then medical tape around the foot. It works for me.

I had my sports massage and I can highly recommend it... I am a bit sore now.. but the advise he gave me was great. The leg with the 'LSR knee niggle' has been over compensating for the other leg when I run so I have a very knotted hamstring... It was pain/pleasure thing this morning. He told me that i had been stretching my hamstrong all wrong. (I have been stretching it against a treadmill or something above knee level, apparently all wrong for long distance runners, he made the point that you never elevate your leg that high when running) I should be stetching hamstring from step height.

He also advised that I should use a golf ball or tennis ball to unknot the muscle between the bum and leg... It really works im very happy now...

Dilemma though he said that I should not do my LSR this weekend (planned to do 13miles) not because I was injured, but because I would be sore the next couple of days and I should give muscles time to recover. This is easier said than done...do not know if mentally will be able to cope.. Have note had time to read post but will enjoy reading them when I get back home.  

01/03/2013 at 18:54

Fenn, unless your physio did some very strange work on you, I see no reason why you can't run 13 on Sunday, that's 48 hours after the work!

02/03/2013 at 07:33
Thanks Iccle Jim, I felt very bruised last night so going to see how i feel this morning but planning to eat today as if i am running tommorrow and play it by ear.. Talking of which I wake up every morning really hungry, reason i am wide awake on a saturday morning at this time is my tummy rummbling. i am eating soo much, too much if i am honest as my work trousers are getting too tight! I must be the only person putting on weight during marathon training.

My problem I am eating the wrong stuff. Was reading the nutrition web chat so am resolved to be better from now on.

Enjoy the weekend people cant wait to read logs of LSRs
02/03/2013 at 08:29

Morning all,

Just a short, sharp fartlek session for me today 

Sham, I hadn't heard about ibuprofen affecting asthma.  Thanks for that, I'll investigate as I do use it for inflammations.

Fenn, that's sound advice after your sports massage.  The reason they said that was your muscles have been pummelled and stressed so need to recover before you stress them any more.

Pepe, well just carry on doing what you are doing then and you'll get round in one piece.  3 x 20 milers might be a bit heavy though as your body needs to be well recovered before the big day so I reckon you'd be better advised to restrict it to 2 x 20 milers.  That way your body will have had plenty of time to recover.  Remember to say hello if you go past me in VLM 

Good luck with your long runs this weekend everyone 

02/03/2013 at 11:24
My LSR today was sh1te!! I managed a grand total of 3 miles!
I had no puff, no energy, heavy tired legs so I bailed Plan to get about 9 in tomorrow.
My weekly mileage this week is 28 miles (excluding today's 3) and all but 12 were fast or hills. I need to rest!
02/03/2013 at 13:02

Fenn, this last week I have been trying out an online food and exercise diary, www.myfitnesspal.com which allows you to track what you eat. You don't have to be dieting, but it does show a few truths!

02/03/2013 at 13:04
sorry your LSR plans didn't happen Denise... But you have had a storming week and the you had the sense to listen to your body and stop rather than dredge on.

I have shamefully only managed 12miles this week since monday....and if feel like I do today will not be out tomorrow

On the plus side we are having a very productive day. Re-grouted bathroom and we have cleaned windows. Gold star for me and OH..
02/03/2013 at 13:07
Well had an extra rest day on Thursday and then did a slow flat 7.2 miles yesterday and I still hurt. I do think it's just a combination of increase and work. I'm meant to be doing a 20 miler tomorrow- just don't know what to do for the best.
Advice needed, 5 Sunday's in march, how do I work it? Was thinking 20 miles tomorrow and next Sunday then 16 miles back up to 20 and finish on 18 before tapering start of April. 20,20,16,20,18 is that do-able? Suggestions please!
02/03/2013 at 13:59

yes, 20, 20, 16, 20, 18 sounds good; even better if you can fit as much in during the week as that (i.e. LSR is 1/2 of the week's total)

02/03/2013 at 16:40
Big eater...I am a big believer in its better to be undertrained than injured! Easier said than done but it seems too much to me...I know you are doing two marathons on the back of each other... Have you got target times?

also what plan you working too?

on the other hand why not aim to do that plan and take each run as it goes...Just listen to the body...so if your feeling good do 20 tomorrow.

Not that I am any expert but my other opinion is that 18 and 16 are still long runs why not do 20.20 then 13 then 20 18. The 20, 20 back to back to emulate the marathons back to back then 13 being a 'rest week' then 20, 18 again to replicate marathon back to back again.

Just thoughts for discussion
02/03/2013 at 18:25
Woow fenn, easy I'm not doing two marathons back to back, I'm not that mad!! One is quite enough. Think it's redhead that's doing that.
That's the proposed plan for march and it will be adjusted to suit if I can't manage it. I think it's important to at least have a target to aim for and I'm quite a determined person but i will be sensible as well. If I get two 20 milers in that's much better than none.
As you say after two 20 milers a 13 miler might be plenty so I'll take that on board also, time and my body will soon tell me if I'm able.
Thanks for the replies guys!
02/03/2013 at 19:01

in 2011 I did three 20 mile races in a row, all with PBs!

02/03/2013 at 21:23

Hi all, sorry  Ive had a nightmare week at work, so missed a few days posts. I've got a half marathon race tomorrow...I'm hoping my high stress level will make me run faster!!!  will catch up properly tomorrow.

03/03/2013 at 12:31
Iccle Jim just seen your post on my fitness pal... Its good i have it on phone as a weight loss tool and weirdly enough before seeing your post I started reusing it yesterday, great minds.

big eater apologies for the confusion, with those miles you were planning assumed you were doing something Ultra

I hope everyone had a better LSR then me...mine ended with two bus journeys, a first for me. Was planning a 13 and started well (great day for running, weather wise) got to 7kms and felt my knee (same one that hurt last week after my LSR) but sadly this time it was during. .. Carried on and actually it kind of got better, until
About 10 miles and ran up a ramp and that was it from that point i knew i should stop because theextra 3 miles were only going to have a negative effect. Such a shame as i felt geat.

On the plus side im sure its just inflammed....and with rest it will get better. So will not run again till next sunday... In the mean time whats the best low impact exercise for my knee...my boyfriend thinks cycling?

Good luck with todays runs
03/03/2013 at 13:02

cycling and rowing work the knees quite hard, so are good if you want to build or exercise the muscles around without the pounding that running gives. Otherwise it's just swiming (not breaststroke) or upper body CV work like handcycling or rowing with straight legs.

Missed my usual Sunday LSR due to Uncle Jim's Babysitting Service but am free now so waiting for some clubmates to call! hopefully will get 10-15 miles done before it gets dark! saying that, don't care if it does get dark, so long as I'm back in the city by then!

03/03/2013 at 13:56
Hi all, fenn that's a shame with your long run but you seem to have a wise head and did the right thing, that was sensible. Think your boyfriend missed a trick when recommending another form of exercise..... Lol.
I did 20 miles this morning and I'm ashamed to say I hit the wall @ 18.3 miles and had to walk for a minute. Picked it up again for a mile then had to walk for a minute again but got to the 20 miles so I'm pleased and won't give myself too hard a time. Averaged 10.05 min miles and even with a 2 minute walk in the 2nd 10 miles ( out and back route) I still had a negative split so at least I know I didn't go off too fast.
Tried lucozade gels for the first time, one at 14 miles then one at 18 miles, they gave me a boost but won't use them again, prefer the go-gels. All about learning!!
Enjoy your run Jim and be careful with those blisters. Enjoy!
Jenf- hope your half went great and you smashed your pb!
03/03/2013 at 13:58

Afternoon all,

Had a stonking 20 miler this morning.  15 miles of unrelenting hills and 5 flatter bits.  I was expecting to struggle at some point or another, which is what usually happens, but I actually felt good all the way so am very happy.  My right knee is a bit niggly which is a regular occurrence at this stage in my training so I shall be off to see Mary Massage Lady soon for an overhaul 

Sorry to read some of you have been struggling 

Denise, we all have days like that, so don't worry!  Hope it went better for you today.

Fenn you were wise to stop before you did any more damage.  RICE for you and definitely no running until it is fully healed.  There's plenty of time to recover if you're sensible.  I agree with Jim about cycling as it is hard on your knees.  In the past I've done swimming holding onto a flotation board and just leg kicking to strengthen (but I hate swimming so it's not something I'd do again!).  

- Oh and on the back-to-back marathons, the most I've done was 3 on consecutive weekends so this year's double followed by a streak seems quite normal, or what passes as normal in redheadland 

Bigeater, definitely no need to do any more than 2 x 20 milers (it is your first marathon isn't it?, sorry if I'm getting confuzzled) and I question the need for a 16 and an 18 too and would go for one or the other, not both.  Also, make sure that you have a really good taper period as that is something a lot of people don't do and they keep pounding out the miles relentlessly leaving not enough time to recover before the marathon.

Jen, hope your 1/2 went well.

13,981 to 14,000 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.