sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,001 to 14,020 of 14,695 messages
03/03/2013 at 14:00

Cross posts there!  Glad you managed your 20 miler BigE - a good confidence booster.  Never be ashamed of taking a walk break in training as it can allow you to just get your wind back before you carry on.

03/03/2013 at 14:31

Hi all, well I'm sitting in my recovery skins, feet up drinking tea n eating chocolate and feeling v pleased with myself  I smashed my half PB! I managed to stick to my planned dream pace, and came in at 1.54.38. I'm SO happy!!

Just been reading back n catching up on posts. I think as the miles ramp up at this stage of training, lots of niggles/setbacks happen. As has already been said, listen to your body, take a break, don't be too hard on yourself. You are still one of the few % of people who are getting out there n doing it.

Fenn, I love the golf ball trick to get into muscles n massage. ( but I like a sports massage better  )

Red, you are hard core! 3 consecutive marathons!!!

03/03/2013 at 14:33
Redhead- yes this will be my first marathon. The strong advise whether verbally or reading it seems to be get in the long runs, the more you do the better prepared you will be- no? Four Sunday's left in march, what would you recommend? Let me tell you I'm absolutely burst after today's 20 miles and I'm sitting here asking myself where am I going to find another 6.2 miles.
03/03/2013 at 14:43

CONGRATS Jenf! BRILLIANT!

03/03/2013 at 14:49

Big E - you will find the next 6 miles I promise!

I would drop to 16 next week, 20 week after and start a pretty major taper (15, 12, 9,2). Following Sam Murphy's advice I have a longer taper now before a marathon and the fatigue of cumulative milage. It has seemed to have worked in the last 2 marathons where I achieved pb's and negative splits.

I'm now not doing LSR as I have no spring marathon and I am sooooooo envious of all the chat about long runs!

03/03/2013 at 15:08

Emma, I have no marathon until October, but still doing the LSRs! just might not go beyond 20 miles! it's just as fun but without the stress!

03/03/2013 at 15:14

Congratulations Jen, that's brilliant!  You defo deserve the chocolate 

BigE, no, I don't agree with that advice for your first marathon as you just risk injury which is what happened to me on my first marathon so I'm speaking from experience.  

The sensible thing would be to take a step-back week next week and drop down to say 15 miles on the 10th.  Then you could do another 20 miler on the 17th and then, as Emma says, start your taper and you will really reap the benefits of the rest.  You need to feel as if you're raring to go on marathon day and the atmosphere will pull you through the final 6.2 miles so don't worry about how cream-crackered you're feeling right now.

03/03/2013 at 15:31

Hi IJ and RH! I have been going up to 16 miles and absolutely loving it! Did the Tunbridge Wells half last weekend in really cold conditions but got a pb by 15 seconds so pleased. Also a minute and a half off time over same course from last year.

Which mara are you doing IJ? I wanted to do Dublin again but now thinking about Frankfurt - cost is proving to be rather difficult.

03/03/2013 at 16:12
Superb jenf, a massive well done to you

Redhead- so that would be a 5 week taper, I was planning a full 3 weeks. My last 5 long runs have been 14,16.6,19.1,14, and 20. I just feel I need to get a few more before tapering but I hear you and do not want to injure myself. Think it's because I'm so burst today and thinking where do I find the extra 6.2 miles I can't get my head round tapering so early. It was just such a struggle today I fear I'm undertrained.
03/03/2013 at 16:21

BigE - I know it seems a long time to be tapering for the mara. But after the marathon I am low on energy for about 6 weeks. So therefore after 3 weeks exhausted - 20 mile long runs are going to have a similar effect especially with the cumulative fatigue pf all the training.

JenF - a fabulous half time! I would be soooooo happy with sub 1:55 - FABULOUS!

What brand of compressions tights do you use?

03/03/2013 at 16:26
Oh wow..great running today guys...

Bigeater, my first and only marathon I did only 1x 20miles run 3weeks before. The day its self the crowds, atmosphere and other runners will give you the energy for the last 6miles.

Yes, OH has suggested a few other suggestions for keeping up the exercise...but I dont think I could log them in my running diary. Have gone out today and bought a foam roller to work on the niggles.

JenF well done on your PB! Enjoy the chocs on the sofa.
Good work everyone .. Just me bringing up the rear but will come back fighting.
03/03/2013 at 18:14

Emma, I'm hoping to do either the Palma or Mediterannean marathons (October 20th) and perhaps Bournemouth or Mablethorpe a few weeks earlier. Not doing one until then, though I still did the 30k race in Stamford on 17/2 and will do the Ashby 20 on 17/3.

03/03/2013 at 21:53

Thanks team   I'm still on a high!

Emma - I have the RY400skins, and since I've been wearing them I've found my doms are much reduced, and they are so comfy to wear.

Bigeater - I agree with Red n Emma, for a first marathon don't ask too much of your legs, the last thing you want at this stage is an injury. I only did one 20 mile run before my first marathon, and I felt very much like you, how would I ever do those other 6.2 miles... but I did, and you will! I think tapering is the hardest part of any training plan, we all feel the self doubt.

I'm not going to be posting much in the next 10 days, I'm off to Abu Dhabi to visit my daughter   Happy running everyone, I will catch up with you all on my return.

03/03/2013 at 22:11

happy travels Jenf!

04/03/2013 at 09:20

Morning all,

Did a 3 mile recovery run earlier to stretch out my leggies.  Glorious morning here 

Jen, enjoy your visit and don't forget to take your pb medal to show off!

Emma, well done on beating your TWells time from last year.  I believe the field was much smaller this year and the organisers were disappointed.

BigE, I'd go for a 4 week taper if you can bear it.  It is VLM you're doing isn't it?  I keep getting confused 'cos I'm aiming for a week earlier with Brighton.  So your LSR 4 weeks before could be 15 miles then 10-12, 8-10, 5-7 (defo no more than that the Sunday before and maybe 1 or 2 short runs up to Wednesday then REST).  All IMHO of course but based on my own past experience - but I am an old biddy and you're probably younger and much fitter.  

I've been running marathons for 8 years now and so my training is very different from when I first set out on my journey and that's always the problem for a first-timer - there is so much advice and so many different opinions to consider.  So my best piece of advice is to stick to your own plan, listen to your body, practice your fuelling strategy on your long runs, make sure you incorporate lots of rest days into the high mileage weeks, work on your mental stamina (keeping going when it hurts like heck and you just want to curl up at the side of the road and sob!) and finally try not to worry about what other people are doing (we all have different levels of fitness, different goals, different training regimes etc).

There endeth the Redhead lesson for Monday morning 

04/03/2013 at 11:04

good homily Redhead!

cycled to work today... starting to regret it, even though it was only 10 minutes' effort! gonna hurt like hell later when I do gym, run, then bike!

04/03/2013 at 11:52

Hey all.... sounds like some ups and downs out there?

Red... hows the chest?

my milage for last week was a grand total of 12! so i have decided that last week is actually 8 days long and extends to today, so i am going to do my LSR tonight after work... 15 ish... well, as far as i can before my ladyfreind comes round at 8.15pm!

I did 10k last night... in 48.46, which i was quite please about... but a couple of little niggles, so i will see how i get on tonight..... I have 5 sundays well 6 if i include tonight.. left for Brighton so i reckon 15, 17, 19, 20/21, 14, 8..... something like that.... but if i can get more than 15 in tonight, i will probably jiggle that about a bit... the best thing about running your second marathon is knowing you can do it....and knowing that my longest LSR before London in 2010 was a hilly 17, it gives me a bit of confidence, especially knowing that i am lighter and fitter as standard.

04/03/2013 at 16:37

Does anyone use a foam roller? If they do, are you sore at all after using it...The reason I ask is I have a sore lower back this morning and think it may of come from using the foam roller. 

04/03/2013 at 18:59

yeah, it hurts like hell! not sure about it hurting lower back, unless you're over stretching glutes?

04/03/2013 at 19:45

10k tonight (it just happened to be 6.21 miles!) including the usual downhill and uphill stretches; I pushed for the first three miles and got there in 23:40 or so, recovered a bit and got round in 52 mins. Lovely! hurt like hell trying to cycle the 2 miles home afterwards!

ps. do not try and cycle in running shorts after a run when it's cold!

14,001 to 14,020 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.