sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,061 to 14,080 of 14,704 messages
10/03/2013 at 19:29

Evening all, 

The 14 miler became a 20 miler....!! I got to the 7 mile turnaround point and felt quite good so carried on to 10 then came back! 

I was so stiff when I finished it was painful.  In fairness I was running in 2 degrees and sleet, so not the best conditions. I really felt the cold, plus lots of uphils on the way home - it was quite difficult. 

However, done and in the bag in 3hrs 18, so another hour and ten for the final 6 miles so I'm hoping 4.30 will still be achieveable.  

Everyone else sounds like they're doing brilliantly - Andrew you sound like you're in a really strong position. 

Redhead - that sounds like a good tun too - with few complaints. 

Nice fast run in the bag there Jim - I'd like to put in a quick one this week.  

I'm giong to get new trainers this week Fenn, tomorrow hopefully, all too aware that the big day is looming near!!! 

W

10/03/2013 at 19:33
Thanks Iccle Jim, good speedy run today btw. I guess im feeling very paranoid... A week no running and have new niggles everyday and im nit even running. Hoping will sort its self out when I get back on the road.

Redhead great run, I think you made the right call to go for an early run.. The wind was so chilly today...
10/03/2013 at 19:57
Woow Denise, massive well done to you. Superb!! I bet you're absolutely buzzing and bang on track again.
Well done everyone. I'm itching to go running, it just doesn't feel right not running but the foot is certainly better.... Roll on Wednesday!!
10/03/2013 at 20:23

Wow great runs everyone, there's nothing quite as satisfying as doing a long run and spending the day feeling pleased with yourself!

I did 14 today which I was pleased with , steady 10:10 pace. Feeling quite tired now but think I've been harbouring a flu bug all week which I'm trying to ignore!

11/03/2013 at 09:29

Morning all,

We've got snow and bitterly cold winds from the East.  Glad it's a no-run day!

Denise, that's brilliant news.  You'll easily get sub 4:30 

11/03/2013 at 10:19

Morning all,

Great runs people...Jess 14 with a bug good work and Denise... soo pleased for you... turning a 14 into a 20miler storming effort!

Back on it tomorrow can not wait!  

11/03/2013 at 11:29

Yuck what horrible weather! I thought it was meant to be Spring!! I can't believe it is mid march and we're running in the snow! Oh well, we'll just have to plod on... at least if feels warmer when you're running....

11/03/2013 at 14:03

6.29am, 5 miles. Garmin said "-3degC, feels like -8". Blizzard said a bit more...! slow and steady, ankles hurt but were easing up. Means I can do gym this evening and not lose mileage!

11/03/2013 at 14:54

It's bloody freezing today! 

Thanks Fenn & everyone!!! It wasnt particulalry pretty but I'm happy its in the bag.  

Got my new trainers today! I ended up with Saucony Triumph 10's - I have them on right now and they're sooo comfortable! I had intended to stick with the Asics, but I didn't - looking forward to testing them out. 

11/03/2013 at 15:13

Its always nice to have new gear... I stocked up last week.

Just looked up your shoes...very nice...what colour? I tried on a Sacony pair the other day and nearly bought on the basis of the colour and style. But sense prevailed and I went for tried and tested asics. (which were also on sale) 

It's so cold.. and typical last week when I wasn't running, it was the warmest weather this year. It feels like Russia has left the back door open! It's soo windy!     

12/03/2013 at 09:32

Brrrrrrrrrrr!  That's all I have to say about the weather today.  I shall be doing my intervals on the treadmill later.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

12/03/2013 at 10:21

A steady 5 mile run this morning...I braved the cold, and although I was looking forward to runniing the cold was horrible and made it very unpleasent. I struggled to relax and was slightly paranoid looking for any signs of pain.

The good news is there was no pain...so perhaps i will be able to enjoy my run tomorrow. (definately will be on the treadmill)

One word: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

12/03/2013 at 10:58

Yep - double brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Fenn, that's great news.  Plus you get too look forward o a pain free and warm run tomorrow! I took the new sneaks out for a 4 mile trot this morning and so far so good.  

Do you have gym memberships or have treadmills at home? I've been thinking about joining one of those cheap gyms so that I have the option to train indoors, but unsure if its worth it or not? 

12/03/2013 at 11:11

Good work Denise. I should of said I was in new trainers too.. Had to lay out my kit last night as was convinced I wouldn'yt be able to get out of my warm bed. 

I have a gym in my building so its very useful and I have no excuse. (I still manage to find them though .

We are hoping to move out of London soon and have decided that rather than paying for a gym, I will just buy a treadmill. (I pay £55 a month, could have a decent treadmill for that price). So if running is long term for you and you have space and can set up a treadmill some where practical I would shell out for a treadmill. It will be a cost saving in the long run.

However if its just for the marathon I wouldnt shell out for gym or a treadmill, weather WILL improve in the next couple of weeks.

My dream is to get a place big enough to allocate a proper gym room/area with TV on the wall matts, benches and weights etc. My Boyfriend goes to the gym regularly so it would be a cost saving for us both. Having lived in a 1 bed flat for the last 4 years with my boyfriend I dream alot about having more space!

12/03/2013 at 11:21

I really hope this weather does improve in the next few weeks, it's mid march for crying out loud!!!

Sounds like everyone is doing well.... I was off sick yesterday as have lost my voice and had a hacking cough (talking is an essential part of my job so coudn't go in and just be quiet!). in today though and feeling sorry for myself and sounding rather squeeky!  Keen to get out on a run tomorrow, but know I should listen to my body and rest if I need too.

Fenn a home gym would be amazing... I live in London too, and no space for a treadmill let alone a home gym! Something to aspire to though!

12/03/2013 at 11:31

As a general rule, I was told by a doctor that I could run if the cold was a head cold but not run if it was a neck down cold. (ie. chesty cold)

12/03/2013 at 11:45

Sounds like sensible advice to me! I think I'll see how I am after a few days of resting...but running with a cough probably isnt the best idea! 

12/03/2013 at 11:56

Yeah definately best advise is to listern to your body. The only anoying thing is that colds tend to drag out!

12/03/2013 at 17:46
Hello all, i was glad of the 2 days rest after saturdays long run. Back running today at lunch time 5k timed its a flat route apart from a hill at about 3k. I managed a 1 sec pb!! Well they all count!! The wind today was bad and the cold is not too bad once you get going. Going to run the long way home tomorrow so will get in a nice 8.5 to 10 miles depending on the light along the canal.

I could realy do with a gym membership just for them non running days. Sure some leg weights could only help on them long runs.

Good luck for the rest of the week everyone.
12/03/2013 at 21:06
What's going on with this crazy weather people? Two yrs ago I ran VLM and at this point in training I was doing lots of river runs, this time I'm going nowhere off road the conditions are too bad
Used to belong to a gym (as a teacher I could get slightly cheaper membership) but was just wasting money, much better with running and a few free weights at home. But I do wish I could run somewhere warm when it's like this. Just not worth it for the odd run.
So how's everyone feeling at this stage?
I'm soooo grateful that training has gone well this time. My first (and only) marathon was a mess in the last weeks. All was going well until I got to the really long runs, did a good 19 miles, next week I did silverstone half then got ill so didnt run all week, felt better at the weekend so did 20miles which took it out of me so only ran once that week, then did reading half and my toe got infected so I missed another weeks running while the antibiotics did their thing. 3 weeks before marathon I did last long run, hit the wall at 17 at staggered 4 miles home then very few runs in tapering! Was terrified of a similar thing this time but I've felt good throughout! Sod's law tho ill break down at the weekend!

Keep going everyone, the end is in sight for most of us
14,061 to 14,080 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.