sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,101 to 14,120 of 14,704 messages
14/03/2013 at 15:55

Andrew, I did a session last night similar to Yasso 800s: it was just 6 x 1/2 mile (ish) with 1/2 mile recoveries. Pushed a lot of it below 7 minute miling where I could, trying to finish each set below 7:30 pace. Hurt like hell and sore today, but loved it!

The Yasso concept is as much about running each 800m to a specific time (or just below) which is probably a bit too pedantic for those aiming baove 3 hour marathons I think. I'd rather do 6 or 10 half mile efforts or 20 1/4 mile efforts and just get that speed boost. Use a half marathon to predict your marathon time and a 20 miler to confirm endurance!

15/03/2013 at 08:45

Morning all,

Good advice Jimbo.  When I have done Yasso's in the past they predict a marathon time of 4:15 and, as we all know, I've still not got below 4:30 for a marathon so I really don't think they are a good predictor for slower runners like me.

4.5 miles earlier in wind and small hailstones which have now turned to rain.  I threw in some fartleks to spice it up a bit.  Last 20 miler planned for Sunday 

Happy weekend everyone and stay safe.

15/03/2013 at 09:11

Thank you all for your advise on the yasso 800.  I will give it a go just to see if i can do the 10 x 800 at 4.15 pace.  did a nice 8.5 miles home last night after work at 8.45 min miles felt nice and easy.  On the track at lunch time, I'm lucky as at work we have a UKA endurance coach working for the company  and some very good marathon runners 2 or 3 that are looking at 2hr 45 to 3hr for london this year. today we are doing 1000m,2000m,1000m,1000m with 200m rest between reach one. I've been runnng the track at about 7.15 to 7.30 pace and find that is helping on the long runs keeping the 20 miles to about a nice 9.40 pace overall which i think is still too fast for my lonf runs. what the plain for everyone this weekend.  I'm going for a 20-22 and a drop the week after to a half before the final big run on the 31st.

15/03/2013 at 09:20

sounds great Andrew! I work at a school and we have our own track and my runnign buddy maths teacher has a key - not used it much recently but used to do a couple of sessions a week there!

this weekend's plan is 20 x 8:45 minute miles with no recovery which would grab me a stonking new PB! got to beat 8:57 pace for the PB really, but as it's a little bit hilly I'm expecting individual splits to be a little varied!

15/03/2013 at 10:14

Am I right in thinking yassos work in that you take your ideal finish time for marathon say 4:20 and then run at a 4.2min mile pace for 800m then recover for 800m and follow? Did see the tread on it but this is my understanding.

I get the impression that I run too conservatibely... for me I just want to get to the start line and a run a comfortable safe race. (no walking). I am impressed people... Andrew I think you will smash your PB! Jimbo wow!

15/03/2013 at 11:18
Fenn yasso is if you want a 4hr 20 min marathon you do 10x800 doing the 800 within 4 min 20 sec. You then have the same time for a 400 rest between each set.
15/03/2013 at 11:41

All this yasso stuff sounds a bit technical for me! I haven't got into doing speed sessions and all that to be honest. I know I should, but figure I'll get a few marathons under my belt and see how i go , and then start trying these things when I want to beat my times!

I'm like you Fenn... get me to the start line, get me round, and in a respectable time would be very nice indeed!

15/03/2013 at 11:56

I suppose the ultimate guide for speed is a 5k or maybe 10k race (5k predicts 10k so is probably the true prediction for marathon runners). Here's what happens if you predict based on a 5k of 25:00; bear in mind this assumes you've done FULL training for each particular distance...

Distance     Time     Pace/Mi

800m         3:14.0       -

1Mi            7:12.1    7:12

5Km            25:00    8:03

10Km          51:55     8:21

1/2 Mar    1:55:45     8:50

Mar          4:03:36    9:18

15/03/2013 at 20:04
All to technical for me. Get to start line run from A to B, collect medal, raise a good few pound for my charity and most importantly enjoy every minute of it....... Simples! ( I hope)
16/03/2013 at 00:34
Just wanted to wish everyone well on their long runs... i am planning to go out Sunday morning 17 miles will be first time trying gels.

andrew/jess/icce Jim think will try this on my Next speed session, even if just to mix the training up abit...sounds impossible.

Iccle jim am I missing somthing where is the forumla to work predicted distances.

Good luck guys...keep us posted
17/03/2013 at 12:59
reporting in with 18miles under the belt! It wasnt pretty and learnt a few lessons, but it is a training run. I did it in just under three hours which is ok, was trying to go slow, but just wanted it to be over at the same time...

Have been very good done my stretches and a cold bath and now looking forward to a baked potatoe..

Look forward to hearing how everyone LSR
17/03/2013 at 13:59

Hi everyone. It's good to be back! and I've just had a catch up read on all the posts... sorry there are far too many to comment on! But hey, you're all looking GOOD

As I've not got a spring marathon, I'm working on strength/power, so today I did a v hilly 14.5 miles. I've found a really mean route, with some wicked hills but managed sub 10.00pace so I'm really happy.

OOOOO Fenn, I still can't face cold baths!

17/03/2013 at 15:52

Had a very pleasant 20 miler this morning, mostly hilly with some gentle undulations thrown in.  Managed to maintain marathon pace for the last 5 miles even though it was a tad hilly in places 

Fenn, that's a good time for 18 miles, well done!

17/03/2013 at 17:03

Well done everyone, that's some good runs in the bag. I did 15 miles with my sister in the peeing rain, my legs were heavy to begin with but by the end they weirdly felt better! Had asked my bf to get brunch sorted for our  arrival home, which he actually i did and now think should be a weekly ritual!

Fenn , what made your run hard, was it heavy legs? mental fatigue? It's a long way to run on your own in bad weather.....

17/03/2013 at 19:04
Jess i relate I was find the first miles harder, maybe because you know whats ahead.

Im blaming my gear (or lack of) on a difficult run! I usually just run in a vest. As this run need re-fueling I needed to carry jelly babies, water and gels(didnt use). I don't have a bum bag so decided to wear an old fleece. not terribably useful especially when It started to rain it got very heavy. Oh and my water bottle could of been twice the size...Had to stop for water refill. And another minor thing, I could not find my running head band...all in all I looked a mess.

Moan moan... But whilst im sure I was a very unattractive site, I have learnt lessons and very pleased with todays run....I also seem to be in good physical state.

Sounds like everyone had great days...shame weather didnt come out to play too...
17/03/2013 at 19:09
Jen, cold baths are horrible.
Took ages for me to get in...I was being a wuss much to my bf amusement but once your in yu do feel benefits.
18/03/2013 at 08:29

Oh Fenn that does sound like a bit of a disaster... wearing a soggy heavy fleece for 18 miles is no fun, but as you said you learnt some lessons and got through it so well done!

18/03/2013 at 10:00

Purchased alot of nice running tops online last night (with the few of just keeping one and returning the others). New stuff is always motivating.

How does everyone feel after there long runs the day after? I woke up with aches this morning that I wasn't even aware of yesterday. Feel like I am falling apart

18/03/2013 at 10:36

Fenn, the formula is secret! www.mcmillanrunning.com

Good result this weekend - another 20 mile PB, but I slowed a bit too much in the second half though maybe that wasn't helped by the incessant sleet and snow!! Ran about 1:25 for the first 10 and 1:29 for th second 10, making 2:54:19. Very happy really as I haven't done many long runs! Concentrating on the real target now: that 1:46 half marathon!

aching a bit this morning but hoping to run tonight. Might be coaching a girl from the gym round the local 10k route... could be fun!

18/03/2013 at 11:02

Iccle Jim, I love this calculator... It predicts a marathon pace of 4hrs23mins... I would well chuffed with that result.

14,101 to 14,120 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.