sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,121 to 14,140 of 14,695 messages
18/03/2013 at 11:46

Morning all, I did 20 miles yesterday in 3:13, was taking it pretty easy and the weather was awful so quite happy with that! Felt ok after and feel ok today, had a for goodness shake straight after the run and was stocking up on protein after that so not sure if that made any difference, anyone ever used them before?

That's good running Jim, are you sure you shouldn't be in the sub 4hr group

18/03/2013 at 11:53

Morning all,

Nice running Jimbo and Pepe (I can't bring myself to type the 'c' part of your name as I've been vegan for all of Lent and drool at the thought of a piece of ch........)!

My leggies feel fine today and went out for a 3 mile recovery run first thing 

18/03/2013 at 13:06
Just back from a long run of 18.5 miles. It was so hard,windy, rain and snow and last 7 miles head into the wind and I'm absolutely burst and getting concerned that I'm crashing at 18.5 miles. It took me 3.04.55 therefore averaging consistent 10 min miles so not doing it to fast. Where will I find another 8 miles from? Last two long runs have really dented my confidence and I'm beginning to panic.
Now to make it worse I'm heading for a cold bath!!
18/03/2013 at 13:19

Good running by all of you over the weekend.  I had a busy weekend and only got out yesterday for a 8 mile run. looking at doing 10 miles tonight but the weather is really getting to me. how many more runs can we all take in this wind and rain!  I've only got one more long run that i'm doing on the weekend of the 30th as it's my youngest ones birthday on Saturday and we are having a party for him on Sunday. will try and get somemore 10 miles runs in during the week but feel ready for London. just wish it was not still 5 weekends away.

18/03/2013 at 13:21
Pepe, redhead and jim...congrats on your runs you sound in great shape.

Bigeater...You will do it...the last two long runs are training and to build muscle memory so on the big day you will be rested and trained to cope. You are on track..(injury free willing) you will do the marathon and love it. I too struggled yesterday on my 18miler, (doubting my fitness and ability) but I know I will be ready by the big day my body will learn, heal and be stronger. Be proud of your achievement.
18/03/2013 at 14:21

It will be just typical that come the day of the London Marathon it will be the first hot day we have had this year! After doing all our training in the freezing cold, wind and snow.

18/03/2013 at 14:33
Thanks fenn, feeling a bit better now I've eaten and showered with the cold bath in-between, that is a nightmare!!
I am proud of myself, just need to get the chin up!!
18/03/2013 at 15:16

Pepe...thats excatly what i think (dreading) may happen... please please please be a great day for running!

Cold baths are amazing...I have to say I may have other niggles but I have no sore muscles today (which put down to cold bath)

Im already debating what distance to do next week...

18/03/2013 at 15:54

David, it depends what level you're starting from!

BigE, well done for getting through it.  You'll easily find the extra miles on the day so please don't worry.

I'd like Brighton and VLM to be on the cool side please with no wind 

18/03/2013 at 17:29

Red, I did Brighton Half marathon a couple of years ago in horrible horrible conditions. You really feel the wind on the sea front. So will have my fingers crossed for you.

Hi David, more details please

19/03/2013 at 10:44
Muscles are aching this morning, this is the most aches I've had after any long run, the cold bath doesn't seem to have done it's job! Foam roller session planned this morning, try and roll some of these aches away.
19/03/2013 at 11:00
David why dont you incorporate some long runs of 18 miles now.
19/03/2013 at 11:03

I agree!

19/03/2013 at 11:20

David, great time for your half! I would do 1 15/16 and then 18. I read somewhere that 30K(circa 18) is what you need to reach. A 13 mile race credits more than 13 mile training run remember.

I would not try and do 2 18miles unless your feeling fabulous next sunday. Less is more. Also one thing I think I have learnt is run slow slow slow.

I think this is soo much easier said than done... Im finding it soo hard to slow running down.

Big eater... lots of nice stretches and you will feel much better.. when you planning on doing another run? My programme had me running today, I opted for a gym weight and stretch session instead but will try and go out tomorrow. Knee is weak....just been buying a knee brace online

19/03/2013 at 11:27
Will be tomorrow for my next run, not thought how far or how hard yet, that will be decided in the morning!! Runs for me are sun, tues, thur but running a day behind this week as couldn't get out on Sunday.
Hope the knee gets better, remember your own advice.... REST, less is more!
19/03/2013 at 11:30

Yes very true and rested today (patting self on back)... although I am at the stage where if I listerned to my body I would never run again :-0

Mantra for me this week is Do or Die....

19/03/2013 at 16:50

David, welcome! if running slow is for wimps, why only do 1:55 at Reading?

35 miles per week is a good base and on that, it wouldn't necessarily matter if you'd run more than 15 miles or not, especially if you have run that far before. In your case I would aim to get as much done in LSRs as reasonably possible, so if you're comfortable with 13 last Sunday, 16-18 steadily (9.30 to 10:15 pace) this week, and next, then a 20 or two. If you can't run more than 18 due to time, aim for two 15s in a week, so Sunday and Wednesday perhaps, or two twelves as well as your weekend LSR (e,g. 15 Sunday, 12 Tuesday, 12 Thursday). Just time on legs, really!

19/03/2013 at 17:40

I've really got Spring Marathon envy listening to all the talk of long runs.. I'm going to sulk in a corner!

20/03/2013 at 08:47

Don't worry Jenf, I'm not running one! still doing the training as if (though I'm not doing any more 20+ mile runs!) and hope to keep the form for an April half marathon sprint.

6 months today until my intended marathon, so might start some hardcore marathon training soon!

20/03/2013 at 09:14

David, surely with those wild horses you'd spend another 5 miles chasing to get a lift?! have fun, hope the weather's better! I'm hoping to get down that way for a week's high intensity training (i.e. holiday at my sister's house!) in the summer, then perhaps for the Bournemouth marathon.

14,121 to 14,140 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.