sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,141 to 14,160 of 14,695 messages
20/03/2013 at 09:53

Morning all,

5 mile tempo run for me yesterday and 8 @ marathon pace today.  Bring on Brighton!

David, with a 35 mile a week base you won't need too much to get you up to marathon fitness and I agree with everything Jimbo said.  Which one are you training for, sorry but I'm old and forgetful 

20/03/2013 at 21:09
Getting closer and closer all! Hope training runs are going well? Sounds like most are on track, I managed another 21 miles in snow storms on Sunday and a 6.5 mile tempo yesterday. Mum is over from France for the night so having to move today's run to tomorrow morning, I hate morning runs, my body just doesn't move right.
Jen, I wouldn't feel too envious, the long runs in the cold this year have been horrible!
David, I agree with the others, sounds like you have a good base for the marathon. Very similar to a guy I work with who is doing London as well. He has been injury plagued so has not been able to go further than 14, he is planning a midweek 12 and then 16 at the weekend followed by 16-18 the following week before easing up sure he will do fine (almost certainly faster than me still)
Keep running everyone
20/03/2013 at 21:51
Hi all,

i did a 'play it safe run' this morning of 3miles. Beating myself now with a foam roller and golf ball prior to a 5mile run tommorrow.

Have added motivation of new gear...so I am ready for wind and rain now! It all matches which is extra pleasing...i will have all the gear and no idea

Andrew...21miles thats brilliant.
Red are you now tapering for brighton?
21/03/2013 at 07:11

Morning all,

Brrrrrr it's cold again.  Intervals for me later in the day.

Fenn, well done for playing safe.  Better safe than sorry as they say.  I'll be doing a 15 miler this weekend then a gentle taper ahead of Brighton.  I usually do a 2 week taper but this time I'm doing 3 weeks 'cos I need to preserve myself for my streak which starts at VLM, the week after .

Andrew, well done for managing 21 miles in a snow storm!

21/03/2013 at 09:44

ooooh, sounds like my favourite kind of marathon David.  If you enjoy that then you should pop a bit further down South and join in the fun at Beachy Head.  Now that's my favourite marathon of all 

21/03/2013 at 09:48

Pah, you'll easily outpace Mo over the distance - isn't he stopping at the halfway mark?

I've just checked my stats (saddo!!!!) and 15 of my 29 marathons to date have been off-roaders.

21/03/2013 at 11:38

Hard core Red.... 

5miles for me today.. felt actually really good whcih Today I did probably less than 1 mile off road.. it's soo much harder.

I imagine this will be my 2nd and last marathon, Its so much commitment and playing way too many mind games for me..just turned down an invite for Saturday night...because its the night before my LSR.

Although I know it will all be worth it on the day! I plan to do more 10K and half marathons and just focus on improving my times..

Although actually do think Paris would be a nice marathon to do... easy just to hope on the eurostar... never say never I guess.

21/03/2013 at 13:42
Final instructions for London came in the post today...very excited now!
21/03/2013 at 14:07
Same here fenn, makes it all feel so real. Really excited now.
21/03/2013 at 14:22

how you feeling bigeater... have you recovered from mondays run?

21/03/2013 at 17:34
Yes thanks fenn, recovered fine, did what you did yesterday and done a short safe 4 miles. Off to the running club tonight for a bit of company and probably 7-8 miles. Actually looking forward to it so see how it goes!
21/03/2013 at 19:39
Also had my final instructions, but also had an email today cancelling the half marathon I was meant to be running this weekend due to the weather, boo.
21/03/2013 at 21:54
7 mile run tonight at average 8.50 min miles. Bit of a struggle as the right hamstring was tight/sore. Only the 3rd time I've been to that running club and can't say their very welcoming, basically stick you in a group and then run away and leave you. Asked what min/miles I wanted to do I said 9 mins yet when I got back and asked someone what they ran, his average was 8.18 mins.
Anyway glad to get a run in and sitting with my hamstring strapped up, hopefully nowt serious.
21/03/2013 at 22:57

lovely 10.55 miles tonight, felt like I could do another 5 comfortably!

22/03/2013 at 07:16
Stop showing off Jim seriously, that's great work for a midweek! I struggle to find time with the kids to go for much longer than 6-7 on mid weeks.
Big, fingers crossed for ur hammy mate, I'm sure the body will hold together for you, keep stretching, icing, maybe massage (foam roller if u have it?) and more stretching! That sorts out the majority of runner injuries
22/03/2013 at 08:41
Bigeater get a massage if it doesnt clear up...I had a massage last night, sorts out all my niggles, feel fresh and ready to go. Shame the club isnt very sociable at least its something different in your mid week running.

When I ran 6years ago addidas had a special running club especially for london marathon people that meet mid week. I was so disapointed they were not still doing them as I met lots of lovely people all going through the same thing.

Iccle Jim good work...Thats a good feeling and a great confidence boost to know you could of kept on going...
22/03/2013 at 09:57

I think I struggle with recovery after my weekend long run. I think I run faster than I should because I want it to be over quicker...

So was thinking maybe it was better to do a time run at the weekend. So go out for 3 hrs but go slow... so when 3hrs arrives I stop and get bus home... that way I will not rush... adding my recovery and letting me run further mid week. Does anyone think this is worth it, will I see the benefit mid week? Or shall I just go at my normal pace?

22/03/2013 at 12:07

I'm now regretting such a long run last night - my legs are aching like 'ell! could well be finishing the week on 39.66 miles, but my OCD suggests getting it up to 45... or just taking it easy before the pilates class!

Not sure about this weekend, might just do a short Sunday run (and yes, I mean short! less than 10 miles perhaps!)

22/03/2013 at 12:09

Fenn, I would advise against any sort of "bus home" routine, even after a fixed time... can you pick a route at home that can be made into lots of figure of eights or small loops? that way, when you reach 3 hours you're still only half or a mile from home and can jog the last 5 or 10 minutes for a satisfying stop!

22/03/2013 at 12:29

lol at the OCD comment! thats great milage.

I like running along the thames to tower bridge and back...which is 13 miles and then I had 3miles and 5 miles loops to that.

Iccle Jim; I think what I was trying to ask... is there a real benefit from running slower than what I intend to run on race day. (I think I am aiming for 4:20 which is what my lsr runs have been predicting)... I just feel like I take alot longer to recover than everyone else from my long runs.. and thinking maybe its because I am going too fast.  Is there a real benefit from running lsr really slow... or will my body just get use to that pace in which case should stick to what I have been doing. does that make sence

14,141 to 14,160 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.