sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,161 to 14,180 of 14,704 messages
21/03/2013 at 22:57

lovely 10.55 miles tonight, felt like I could do another 5 comfortably!

22/03/2013 at 07:16
Stop showing off Jim seriously, that's great work for a midweek! I struggle to find time with the kids to go for much longer than 6-7 on mid weeks.
Big, fingers crossed for ur hammy mate, I'm sure the body will hold together for you, keep stretching, icing, maybe massage (foam roller if u have it?) and more stretching! That sorts out the majority of runner injuries
22/03/2013 at 08:41
Bigeater get a massage if it doesnt clear up...I had a massage last night, sorts out all my niggles, feel fresh and ready to go. Shame the club isnt very sociable at least its something different in your mid week running.

When I ran 6years ago addidas had a special running club especially for london marathon people that meet mid week. I was so disapointed they were not still doing them as I met lots of lovely people all going through the same thing.

Iccle Jim good work...Thats a good feeling and a great confidence boost to know you could of kept on going...
22/03/2013 at 09:04

Check out Jimbo rubbing our faces in it!

22/03/2013 at 09:57

I think I struggle with recovery after my weekend long run. I think I run faster than I should because I want it to be over quicker...

So was thinking maybe it was better to do a time run at the weekend. So go out for 3 hrs but go slow... so when 3hrs arrives I stop and get bus home... that way I will not rush... adding my recovery and letting me run further mid week. Does anyone think this is worth it, will I see the benefit mid week? Or shall I just go at my normal pace?

22/03/2013 at 12:07

I'm now regretting such a long run last night - my legs are aching like 'ell! could well be finishing the week on 39.66 miles, but my OCD suggests getting it up to 45... or just taking it easy before the pilates class!

Not sure about this weekend, might just do a short Sunday run (and yes, I mean short! less than 10 miles perhaps!)

22/03/2013 at 12:09

Fenn, I would advise against any sort of "bus home" routine, even after a fixed time... can you pick a route at home that can be made into lots of figure of eights or small loops? that way, when you reach 3 hours you're still only half or a mile from home and can jog the last 5 or 10 minutes for a satisfying stop!

22/03/2013 at 12:29

lol at the OCD comment! thats great milage.

I like running along the thames to tower bridge and back...which is 13 miles and then I had 3miles and 5 miles loops to that.

Iccle Jim; I think what I was trying to ask... is there a real benefit from running slower than what I intend to run on race day. (I think I am aiming for 4:20 which is what my lsr runs have been predicting)... I just feel like I take alot longer to recover than everyone else from my long runs.. and thinking maybe its because I am going too fast.  Is there a real benefit from running lsr really slow... or will my body just get use to that pace in which case should stick to what I have been doing. does that make sence

22/03/2013 at 12:37

Hi everyone, 

Sounds like you've all got some good running in Exciting times with the race packs coming through, my marathon still seems ages away although I'm sure it'll be here before I know it!

fenn I agree with IccleJim about the bus route idea; i went out with my oyster last week in case my knee started playing upand I needed to get home (without running).  Myy bus passed me  while i was running along in the pouring rain and i thought I'd actually much rather run in the rain than sit on a bus freezing cos you're wet and cold with no way of getting home...

I 've had a new approach to training this week and have been getting up extra early to run before work, and now have a new found enthusiasm for my training! It's so nice to have the run over and done with beofre breakfast when I would have itherwise just been snoozing. My evenings are much more relaxing as don't have to fit in long runs with everything else Works fo me but only cos I'ma morning person, I'm sure it is some people's idea of hell! I was very tempted this morning to ignore my alarm but somehow made it out the door!

22/03/2013 at 13:59
Fenn I'm like you and struggle after the long run also, my body seems to ache for days afterwards and even short runs are hurting now.
Is it to early to taper??
22/03/2013 at 16:21

LSRs are meant to be S - slow - so generally should be slower than marathon pace! if you're looking for 4:20 (10:00 per mile) then I would expect LSRs to average 10:30 per mile, though you're best to increase the pace a little in the last 5 miles (or the last quarter of the run), though ot necessarily every time.

The only harm in running LSRs at a "steady" pace (i.e. all at MP or slightly faster) is tiredness. I'd prefer to take it easy in my LSR and perhaps do a few extra miles slowly as a recovery run on the next day (and then go hard again the next...!)

Bigeater, if you're very sore and tired now, have an easy week rather than tapering... run as many times as before, but just reduce everything 25% and then in a week's time, go long (and slow) again.

23/03/2013 at 09:32

I'm doing the London Marathon and had planned a 20 mile run tommorow but being up north we have been battered by snow,  its very deep now probably over trainer deep and with huge drifts most places, so what are my options, wait it out and do it midweek or do the miles on a treadmill which will be about 3 hours. Or just go out and do what I can.

All you doing a LSR whats your plans if affected by the snow?

Usually a bit of snow wont stop me/us but this is very deep and with it drifting id imagine hard to run in.

23/03/2013 at 10:01
Hi Mark, I read your thread yesterday, well done on your achievements to date! I was very interested in your story. Interested...do you need to pee alot during training runs?

I wouldnt run today outside, could get injury from slipping over etc if you can re plan lsr for mid week.

I would not run more than an 1hr on a treadmill, I think long distances on treadmill can do something to your hips...sorry a physio told me this a couple of weeks ago and cant remember the details. So i would do a 5mile run on the treadmill today and get long run in as soon as can.

I am in london its very wet snow here will plan to run tomorrow.
23/03/2013 at 10:08
Thanks Icce Jim, Bigeater I suspect we are in the same boat and running too fast. I am going to run for 3hrs tomorrow slowly regardless of distance. Time on legs with a quick recovery is my mission statement for tomorrow.

Are evryone elses weather conditions like Marks?

On a side note, I have had a pain every morning in my 4th toe (next to bug toe). was told by physio it was a quirky muscle thats just being a bit of a diva and nothing to worry about. it goes when its warmed up. But today I have woken up toe not sore and nail is blue. Very odd.
23/03/2013 at 10:12

Hi Fenn, no dont pee when do my LSR upto 22 miles, dont stop for the toilet once. Its bad up here.

23/03/2013 at 10:43
Fenn wrote (see)

I would not run more than an 1hr on a treadmill, I think long distances on treadmill can do something to your hips...sorry a physio told me this a couple of weeks ago and cant remember the details.

I am in london its very wet snow here will plan to run tomorrow.

lol, I am planning to run for over an hour and a half on the treaddie today, I'll let you know how I get on!

23/03/2013 at 16:32

I would suggest that if you can't do an LSR over the weekend due to the weather, then just swap around your runs through the week... do a short-ish hard run now then try and make the LSR on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

The overall aim would be to keep your weekly mileage the same, even if just by adding an extra mid-length run...

24/03/2013 at 09:14
Hi all,
I've had a mad week this week and only managed a quick 5 on weds. Had planned to do 20 yesterday but like Mark, totally snowbound, so pulled the boots on and went for a 6 mile walk (via the pub!) instead. It didn't snow overnight so I'm chomping my porridge and I'll dig out the car and go do my 20 as planned.
When is everyone starting tapering? From 2 or 3 weeks? I don't plan to do this distance again after today. Maybe 16/18 next weekend
24/03/2013 at 11:12
Off out soon to try for 18-20 miles, aches are better and work helped yesterday as I was forced to go slow in the snow and ice, the near 4 hour walk has loosened the legs nicely. Saying that it is so cold today and the wind could cut you in two so I'll probably last a mile! My fast neighbour is coming with me so I'll have a bit of company, great guy, he slows down to my place! Will update you later on how I got on.

Enjoy your runs everyone! After today the VLM marathon runners really only have one long run left.
24/03/2013 at 13:29

Did 20 miles on a treadmill, round here theres no pavements and its all ice now. Treadmill running was awful, hot, humid, hard, felt sick  after mile 10 and had my tights on too.

14,161 to 14,180 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.