sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,161 to 14,180 of 14,695 messages
22/03/2013 at 12:37

Hi everyone, 

Sounds like you've all got some good running in Exciting times with the race packs coming through, my marathon still seems ages away although I'm sure it'll be here before I know it!

fenn I agree with IccleJim about the bus route idea; i went out with my oyster last week in case my knee started playing upand I needed to get home (without running).  Myy bus passed me  while i was running along in the pouring rain and i thought I'd actually much rather run in the rain than sit on a bus freezing cos you're wet and cold with no way of getting home...

I 've had a new approach to training this week and have been getting up extra early to run before work, and now have a new found enthusiasm for my training! It's so nice to have the run over and done with beofre breakfast when I would have itherwise just been snoozing. My evenings are much more relaxing as don't have to fit in long runs with everything else Works fo me but only cos I'ma morning person, I'm sure it is some people's idea of hell! I was very tempted this morning to ignore my alarm but somehow made it out the door!

22/03/2013 at 13:59
Fenn I'm like you and struggle after the long run also, my body seems to ache for days afterwards and even short runs are hurting now.
Is it to early to taper??
22/03/2013 at 16:21

LSRs are meant to be S - slow - so generally should be slower than marathon pace! if you're looking for 4:20 (10:00 per mile) then I would expect LSRs to average 10:30 per mile, though you're best to increase the pace a little in the last 5 miles (or the last quarter of the run), though ot necessarily every time.

The only harm in running LSRs at a "steady" pace (i.e. all at MP or slightly faster) is tiredness. I'd prefer to take it easy in my LSR and perhaps do a few extra miles slowly as a recovery run on the next day (and then go hard again the next...!)

Bigeater, if you're very sore and tired now, have an easy week rather than tapering... run as many times as before, but just reduce everything 25% and then in a week's time, go long (and slow) again.

23/03/2013 at 09:32

I'm doing the London Marathon and had planned a 20 mile run tommorow but being up north we have been battered by snow,  its very deep now probably over trainer deep and with huge drifts most places, so what are my options, wait it out and do it midweek or do the miles on a treadmill which will be about 3 hours. Or just go out and do what I can.

All you doing a LSR whats your plans if affected by the snow?

Usually a bit of snow wont stop me/us but this is very deep and with it drifting id imagine hard to run in.

23/03/2013 at 10:01
Hi Mark, I read your thread yesterday, well done on your achievements to date! I was very interested in your story. Interested...do you need to pee alot during training runs?

I wouldnt run today outside, could get injury from slipping over etc if you can re plan lsr for mid week.

I would not run more than an 1hr on a treadmill, I think long distances on treadmill can do something to your hips...sorry a physio told me this a couple of weeks ago and cant remember the details. So i would do a 5mile run on the treadmill today and get long run in as soon as can.

I am in london its very wet snow here will plan to run tomorrow.
23/03/2013 at 10:08
Thanks Icce Jim, Bigeater I suspect we are in the same boat and running too fast. I am going to run for 3hrs tomorrow slowly regardless of distance. Time on legs with a quick recovery is my mission statement for tomorrow.

Are evryone elses weather conditions like Marks?

On a side note, I have had a pain every morning in my 4th toe (next to bug toe). was told by physio it was a quirky muscle thats just being a bit of a diva and nothing to worry about. it goes when its warmed up. But today I have woken up toe not sore and nail is blue. Very odd.
23/03/2013 at 10:12

Hi Fenn, no dont pee when do my LSR upto 22 miles, dont stop for the toilet once. Its bad up here.

23/03/2013 at 16:32

I would suggest that if you can't do an LSR over the weekend due to the weather, then just swap around your runs through the week... do a short-ish hard run now then try and make the LSR on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

The overall aim would be to keep your weekly mileage the same, even if just by adding an extra mid-length run...

24/03/2013 at 09:14
Hi all,
I've had a mad week this week and only managed a quick 5 on weds. Had planned to do 20 yesterday but like Mark, totally snowbound, so pulled the boots on and went for a 6 mile walk (via the pub!) instead. It didn't snow overnight so I'm chomping my porridge and I'll dig out the car and go do my 20 as planned.
When is everyone starting tapering? From 2 or 3 weeks? I don't plan to do this distance again after today. Maybe 16/18 next weekend
24/03/2013 at 11:12
Off out soon to try for 18-20 miles, aches are better and work helped yesterday as I was forced to go slow in the snow and ice, the near 4 hour walk has loosened the legs nicely. Saying that it is so cold today and the wind could cut you in two so I'll probably last a mile! My fast neighbour is coming with me so I'll have a bit of company, great guy, he slows down to my place! Will update you later on how I got on.

Enjoy your runs everyone! After today the VLM marathon runners really only have one long run left.
24/03/2013 at 13:29

Did 20 miles on a treadmill, round here theres no pavements and its all ice now. Treadmill running was awful, hot, humid, hard, felt sick  after mile 10 and had my tights on too.

24/03/2013 at 14:08
Good work all, ESP those of you having to battle with the snow, in Oxfordshire we have had a fair bit coming down but never settles properly so most I've had to run in is just under an inches worth and it was thawing by the time I was heading back after about three hrs running.
Denise, I'm doing VLM, ran half marathon distance today after 21 last week, planning 22 next week then tapering for two weeks!
The water of life half I had entered today was cancelled so ran a half from home st race pace, does a PB count if its not in a race? I ran just under 1hr 40 mins for the 13.1, really pleased but on the downside have had to be very careful of late as my plantar faciitis (can't spell it) is making a reappearance after two an half years. I have orthotics but stupidly didn't wear them for running for first few months of training (am a PE teacher so they just stayed in my work shoes) fingers crossed it doesn't get too bad, it's pretty manageable at the mo.
Big, really hoe all goes well today and ur legs feel ok
Mark, very impressed by 20 on a treadmill, think I've gone as far as 15 before but even with a tv screen to watch top gear and sky sports I was bored out of my mind!
24/03/2013 at 14:44

Afternoon all,

We didn't get any significant snow, just a biting wind.  I did 12 miles earlier and didn't warm up at all.  I am now officially tapering for Brighton 

Who said treddy running is bad for the hips?  Not sure about that!  I seem to remember one of the elite ladies (can't remember who) did all her training on a treddy. The furthest I've done on one is 15 miles and it's boredom that gets you rather than injury 

Mark, well done for sticking with it.

Hope everyone has stayed safe in these poor weather conditions.

24/03/2013 at 16:01

Yes Well done Mark - You'll have had to have dug deep to carry on. 

THe wheels totally fell off on me today  I did an out and back along the canal and the conditions were rubbish - icy, slushy, muddy, wet, puddly and generally yuk. Anyway, I got to the turnaround point in just over and hour and a half and felt good, but I turned into a headwind, there'd been some thaw and the puddles were even bigger and I HATED it.  Got to about 15 and came back a long the road, still running into a headwind, but it wasnt pleasant.  

Finished in 3.12 which is 7 minutes faster than my last 20 but I was so sore when I finsihed,  Walking was difficult! Got home, sat in some cold water and feel a bit better now but boy that wasnt fun. 

Andrew your miles are brilliant - well done. I'll try get one more long one in next weekend and hope that the conditions make for a few more pleasant miles!

24/03/2013 at 16:45

10 today and I felt shyte. Enough to annoy good running buddies who ran and deserve all the credit! Also two dates with pub food which is gonna hurt!

I say PBs only count during registered proper races. I even got shouted at for counting a 30k PB as a mid-race split, despite a chip time, though I shouted louder as Paula's world record for 30k was a London split! now I'll even just count the race time, so tend to avoid races without chip timing, or will start my own watch at the gun rather than the start line!

24/03/2013 at 18:01
Congrats to everyone, loved reading everyones run logs...

Denise, missed your logs so great to see you online today... That 20 sounds epic welldone, 26 in London will be a breeze...

Mark did i read right 20 miles on a treadmill...wow..well done. Thats reassuring to hear from Red that pros train on treadmill.. My physio scarred me off them saying it makes your hips not rotate or something...details are vague.,.but to be honest I find it way easier to run midweek on a treadmil so may jump back on them.

Did another 18 today with a plan to do 20miles next week. (Last long run) I felt sooo good when i finished today, a different runner to last week. I have a sore knee which currently icing...but Im working with it. i think it was my new running gear that made me a betterrunner today.
24/03/2013 at 18:59
I'm buzzing today, I did 20.08 miles @ average 10.12 miles and ran all the way!! Ok it was a bit slower than my 10 min mile target but in that ice biting wind in my face and legs( shorts on) I think it was a great effort as it was so cold and tough.
Jelly baby every mile from 10 miles onwards with a gel at 15 miles and an isotonic drink on my belt to sip as and when needed and it worked well. Ice cold bath for 20 mins afterwards and been eating ever since but hey I've earned it.
New pain today in the inside of my right knee, no had that before so see how it feels tomorrow and see how the recovery is.

Anyway today has been a good day and I'm pleased.

Well done to all, great running this weekend, I think those final instruction magazines dropping through the door has given us all a big lift.
24/03/2013 at 20:28
Hello I'm new and doing my first marathon in Brighton this year! Did my first half marathon in Tunbridge wells last month in 2hr7mins and completed Hastings today in 2hr5minutes. Have been following a training plan but have suffered from a chest infection and injured knee(s!). Did 20miles last Monday which really boosted my confidence, I know the last 6 will be bad but at least I know I can get to 20!! Have no idea of what time to expect but in my longer runs I'm averaging 10 min miles but knows what could happen the last 6!!! Have raised ??1000 so far for my charities so as well as feeling fit and achey I feel I have already achieved a fantastic result.

Have loved reading all your stories xxx
24/03/2013 at 20:42

Well done on all the training guys, sounds like it's going well for everyone!

I opted against a long run today due to the icy pavements and just coming off the night shift. I went for a 12 mile hilly trail run instead, to be honest i found it harder than my 20 miler last week due to the ankle deep mud and snow, the ice and the steep hills! It was so cold that when I got home an inch ice pack had formed on the tongues of both my trails shoes, brrrrrr.

I feel like i should of gone for that long run now,  I have got next weekend still where i will do 21-22 miles, my last 3 long runs have been 20, 19 and 17 so hopefuly this will be enough! This bl00dy weather is doing my head in now, wish it would go away.

25/03/2013 at 09:17
Welcome dudey and well done on your 20 miler. Nice one on your charity fundraising, I've raised a similar amount for breast cancer care and it feels great. The fact so many people give so generously motivates you to get out and do these long runs.
Stick around and update us on how your getting on, nice people on here and I know you will be made to feel very welcome.

Well I feel great this morning, only pain is inside of my right knee which is an area I've never been bothered with before. Got it strapped up and hopefully couple days rest will help.
14,161 to 14,180 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.