sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,201 to 14,220 of 14,704 messages
26/03/2013 at 11:28

Oh no... well at least you have the long runs in. I will be much easier on self once I get this 20 miler in.

Last time I ran I remember I did no running after my 20miler and just rested with cross training and swimming as taper excercise felt great on the day!

Your week sounds lush! I am taking your advise and taking today off..just agreed to meet some friends for dinner so no gym tonight for me

26/03/2013 at 11:35
Quite right.... Enjoy dinner!!
Yes a week of sod all!! Think that's my problem, because of work and training I just don't get a chance to rest so this week is all about me!! ( just don't tell the wife)
26/03/2013 at 13:08

LOL at you 2!  Rest is definitely on the cards for both of you - enjoy 

Just done a pyramid session with the intervals at 8 min miling.  Never managed that before so feeling very pleased and hoping it isn't a case of pride coming before a fall!

26/03/2013 at 13:40

Rest is the only thing i seem to be really nailing in my training programme!

Well done, thats good work interval work..Im thinking of trying the Yasso x800 thingy for a bit of a change tomorrow... been just working out my pace as will try it on a treadmill!

26/03/2013 at 17:39

just done 10 x Yasso 800s. Flippin' 'ell! with a jog from home to our usual "speedwork" roads, the efforts and then running home it made 11.35 miles, averaging 9:09 pace! The slowest 800m was a "pedestrian" (!!!) 4:04, but the rest were all 7:30-7:35 pace, so theoretically predicting sub 3:50 for a marathon. Not likely!

26/03/2013 at 20:29
Well done red & jim, speedy gonzales's!!!
I've just come in from a steady and pleasant 6.5 miler, but.....I have BLISTERS
I knew that thy were developing on my long run on Sunday but forgot about them until I set off tonight. They're obviously not crippling but Boo to blisters.
Jim how did you overcome yours?
26/03/2013 at 20:38
Good work Jim...and denise...

I put vaseline on my feet and use double layered socks denise. If i feel like a blister is coming on I put tape around my feet where blister is.
26/03/2013 at 21:14
Wow well done red and jim, it must be a speedy week, I took yesterday off then ran a 10k tempo tonight at just under 7min miles! That's over 2 mins off of my PB had it been a race!

Denise, I'm with fenn, good fabric plasters on your toes and blisters you won't notice them!

Big, am keeping everything crossed for you that the rest does it's job. You will be fine I'm sure, I had a horrific preparation for my first marathon and made it around. Last 8 miles were really really tough but the crowd keep you going
26/03/2013 at 21:48

Hi all! Yesterday off and today ran 4 miles from work to meet my housemate for a spinning class. Was on a bike to the side not in instructor's line of vision so I did slack a bit! Not going to get another run in until Friday now, which I'll make a longer one. Fenn and Denise I'm fending off a blister that tried to appear after my 20 miler - end of toe - been using surgical spirit to dry it out. Nice work Jim and andrew!

26/03/2013 at 22:23

Andrew, if you're running 10k in under 7 minute miling, surely your marathon target should be more like 3:30?! great effort in any case!

Denise, I was advised by my local shop to tighten my trainers and use the end lace hole... that didn't work and just bruised the tendons along the front of my shins. They also said to wear dual layer socks (and rest, which I didn't do!) which did seem to help. Now I have a large patch of hardened skin which with normal socks and lose trainers again seems to not bother me now. Much of the problem was not resting long enough between blistering runs which prevented healing. Boo! Oh, and Compeeds just scrunched up mid run and made it worse ;-(

27/03/2013 at 10:31

Morning all, I did a very enjoyable 5 miles speed work today (on treadmill). I started to play around with these Yasso thingy,  800m in 4mins. I did this about 4 times and realised the key to this is doing them for a long amount of time sadly..So sady I didnt have the time and decided to abort and go back to my usual speed session format.

However  I think providing I have the time it would be a good interesting work out to do. But you need the time, which I hadnt figured on

5min warm up

40 mins 10 x 4mins 800m (speed) intermixed with 40mins 10 x 4 mins recovery jog

5min warm up

Thats an hour and a half session!

I think the recovery jog is quite a long amount of time... Iccle Jim and others that have done this session do you think it matters whether you jog or run between these recovery sections? and do you reduce the recovery run length?

I could do it on Friday with the few of doing my 20miler on Monday? Or is it too much and should wait to get the 20miler out of the way.

27/03/2013 at 11:05

Hi Fenn, I was doing 10 x Yasso's last night with the running club, we actually stop during recovery for the amount of time that the Yasso took (or there abouts).

Bad news is that I have woken up with a pain in my foot! Not sure if it is PF, it is in the arch of my foot rather than the heel. Anyway it is pretty painful and causing me to limp Have iced it this morning and am on Ibuprofen, anyone else got any other advice? Feeling pretty down to get injured at this stage after all the training and was supposed to be doing a 21-22 mile run this weekend, I won't feel very confident if I don't get this run in! HELP.

27/03/2013 at 11:23

Pepe... The only glimer of hope that I can pass on is that because you felt the pain the morning rather than during or directly after your run thats a good sign. Its likely to be a muscle pain that has relaxed while sleeping! Stay positive... and RICE ..If its still painfull to walk on in 2 days I think get an x-ray/ doctor

Whats your longest run to date? assuming you have done an 18miler in the last couple of weeks. You will have done more than enough to run... but I do understand 20miles for me is a mile stone I really want to hit, not physically but mentally.

27/03/2013 at 11:33

Thanks Fenn, I have booked a physio appointment for tomorrow at 2pm so we keep you updated. To be honest this pain has been niggling for sometime now, it only ever hurts after running though, not during and has never been as severe as it is today, it has always subsided within a day. It always seems to crop up after a speed session.

I did 20 miles on Sunday the 17th, 19 miles  the weekend before that and 17 miles the weekend before that. Wanted to try and get 21-22 in this weekend though.

27/03/2013 at 12:03

I have done 15, 10, 0(rest), 18, 18, and plan 20 this weekend!

I dont think you need to do more than 20. That was my longest last time I ran a marathon. I would play it by ear, and see what the physio says! stay positive and rest

27/03/2013 at 12:04
See when you guys say ' I've booked a physio appt' is this a paid for physio or an NHS one, if NHS you guys must have the best health service ever! Without being rude if paid physio can you give me some idea how much it costs?
27/03/2013 at 12:14

Bigeater, no chance of it being on the NHS that quick. I would probably be waiting for at least a month if i went via the NHS. I am paying for it and it is £30 for the initial assesment, not sure if this is discounted for me or not as the physio i am seeing runs at the same running club i go to,  it seems quite cheap for a 1 hour initial assesment.

27/03/2013 at 12:21

Yes, private, I am paying £40-50 a time. £40 for a sports massgae and £50 for physio... I am in London  

27/03/2013 at 12:44
Wow, I just couldn't afford to pay those rates, foam roller will have to do for me!!

When/how do you know if it's a physio you need or a sports massage? If it's pain a physio and niggles/tightness a massage?
27/03/2013 at 13:15
Yes I budgeted for 3 massages during my training, and have had four so far one massage planned for tomorrow night and then I might have one the week before marathon. So if do the maths its really expensive. But I balance in my mind that I have not been going out on a saturday night or gone away since January so must balance out somewhere.

Yes, I go for a physio if something is wrong and sports massage for general maintenance.
14,201 to 14,220 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.