sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,221 to 14,240 of 14,695 messages
28/03/2013 at 10:05

Wow they are great physio prices Iccle Jim! I dont suppose you are based in South West London?

Andrew, whats PL? googled and didnt come up with anything?

Nice 7miles for me in 1hr... so not super fast but Im pleased especially as I had more in the tank!

Shhh....I can see sun and I was too hot running today...a first this year I think!

28/03/2013 at 10:48
andrew heley wrote (see)
Hi pep, but this sounds very similar to what I have had recently, the bad news is I have had PL before and this feels like the very early stages of it coming back. The good news is that if like me the pain is in the arch not the heel then it is very early days and can be dealt with. Firstly, I know you said you are icing your foot, but when you do this use a bottle of frozen water (sprite/coke bottle is perfect) and wearing a sock, roll ur foot over this using the pressure to massage your foot. (This may well be sore to do)
Secondly, if you want to give it a more effective massage, you can use the knuckles of your thumb but better than this is rolling your foot over a golf ball.
The other thing you will need to do is lots of stretching, start with your calfs, a lot of PL is brought on by tight calfs and Achilles, you can stretch this too by dropping your knee when in a traditional calf stretch. When you wake up before you get out of bed and walk on it, put a towel around the ball/toes of the effected foot while keeping leg straight and pull to stretch the arch. Lastly you can stand on a step on one leg, with just the ball of your foot on the step and drop your heel down and hold for about thirty secs before lifting (don't lift to a calf raise or you undo the good you have just done)
Hope that all makes sense? And good luck with it.
Regarding massage guys if you can get a sports therapist to do it then it's much cheaper than a physio, tho obviously a physio is better if you have pains (ESP if you don't know why!!!)
Had a nice 8 miles tonight another tomorrow then the big 22 on sat

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all of this Andrew! Very useful, and I will try all of your tips out. The good news is after icing, lightly massaging, lightly stretching and using voltoral gel all day yesterday the pain has almost halved today! Amazing how the human body can heal so quickly, still going to go to the physio at 2pm to get it checked out.

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 10:49
28/03/2013 at 14:03
Fenn, was referring to plantar fasciitis
28/03/2013 at 16:17

Good new, it is just some inflamation in the tendon that runs along my foot. Should be ok to do a long run on Sunday No more speed work before London, which is no big loss as was only going to do one more session next tuesday. I have got some stretches to do and will continue with the icing. Thanks all.

28/03/2013 at 17:26
Great news pepe, just take it easy as nothing to be gained at this stage.

Fenn- thank you for transport suggestions, very helpful. Is the train from gatwick much slower than the gatwick express?

Denise- yes I know killearn, lovely area and I'm about 20 mins from there, I run along the old railway track to strathblane which is only 10 mins from killearn. I'm a bit more city side than killearn but on the edge of the countryside so I have some great places to run with the canal, railway tracks and the campsie hills close by.

Well the pain in knee has eased a bit, not 100% but a good improvement since Monday. I'm wanting to run, feel guilty I've not ran since Sunday bit it's still painful enough for me to know not to do it!
28/03/2013 at 17:49

Pepe that is great news.... this marathon business is more about mind games than running...must be nice to know its not serious.

Thanks Andrew good job you dont have Plantar Fasciitis, sounds nasty!

Bigeater, thats a good sign that things are improving..and that your listening to your body, you have plenty of runs in the bag, all you have done is taper a week early and thats no bad thing! The Gatwick Express goes to Victoria not London Bridge so wont save any time.....

Im increasingly getting a bit worried that Im the only one who hasnt done 20miler yet! feel like the class dunce. I know I am just being silly and I'm just following my programme, but in reflection I wish I had done it a couple of weeks ago to have it in the bag so to speak. As if it doesn't happen because of illness, I really don't have any more time. Will stop worrying and moaning now...ITS A LONG WEEKEND YAY!

30/03/2013 at 13:17
How's everyone getting on so far this weekend?
I managed to tape up the blisters and get out for a 15 miler but without breakfast.... I've been listening to a podcast that says in some circumstances the fuel you get from breakfast is too late to help you on race day, so I thought I'd give it a go and miles 1-14 were superb, but the last mile was uphill and difficult. Was it because I didn't have breakfast? Who knows. Certainly interesting.
Happy Easter!!
30/03/2013 at 15:03
Good work Denise...I don't think I would get to the start line if I didn't have breakfast, let alone run anywhere... what I have been doing is getting up eating weetabix and then jumping back to bed for another hour before getting up and going for my long run!

I joined the 20miler club today, 3hrs20mins. Felt good. Took 3high 5 gels, could of done with another one... was actually planning to run on Easter Monday, but was stressing so much about it decided to go out today!

Taper Taper Taper!
30/03/2013 at 15:07
Denise, I should of also said anything under 10miles I would just get up and run without breakfast. So all my morning mid week runs are breakfast less!
30/03/2013 at 15:57

Yay for joining the 20 mile club!! How did you feel when you'd finished? I pretty much felt crippled after mine! 

I think that messing with nutrition right now would be stoopid so I'll still eat a healthy breakfast on race day.

If all goes well I'll do a slow 10 tomorrow - feeling a bit of a sore throat atm - then it's pub o'clock!  

30/03/2013 at 17:06
Strange duplicate post.
Edited: 30/03/2013 at 17:07
30/03/2013 at 20:01

Denise, I cant remember are you running VLM? if so you will be up so much before the race begins that good breakfast is essential!  Porridge is great as its all slow release energy, then take a couple of bananas and some sweets to munch on over the few hours of getting there and waiting around or what ever suit you! If your getting out of bed and running then your info is correct, if your having an hour or two between getting out of bed and running then the food is vital.

Fenn, really pleased for you for getting a 20 mile run in.  Its by no means essential  to have done one but its a huge confidence boost on the race day to have reached within 10k of the finish before. (oh and ive re-read my old post and realised why it may have been confusing when I was talking about PL rather than PF!!... great spelling for a teacher!)

I had a great last really long run today.  Its made me sersiously re-think my race time goal, I completed 22.3 miles in 3hrs 18mins (8:55 average pace) planned to run a quicker pace as ive been toying with the idea of attempting 9:20 on race day (ive been starting my long runs so far at 10min miles and then speeding up as it goes on) so started today at about 9.30 per mile and about 7 miles in started to speed up.  felt good the whole way around, clearly tough towards the end but could have gone on (although better hydration and the atmosphere of race day would have helped) so now thinking about whether or not to attempt a sub 4 hour?

30/03/2013 at 21:01
Andrew, hello a lurker here but I post on Rachel's sub 4 hour thread, I would think it depends what your other runs are paced at during the week? But 22m at 8'55 is great going. My plan is for 3'45 ( I'd be really happy with 1 second under 4 hours!) and my 21m run about a month ago was at 9'20 pace. I did 20m last Sunday at 8'52 pace. So it looks very much like you should be targeting sub 4 hours. Think it would be useful to know your tempo run pace(s) and have you done a half recently?
30/03/2013 at 23:59
Hi Andrew, thanks for the advice - much appreciated, yes it's VLM.
Your 22miler sounds incredible and you've left yourself 40 mins for the last 4 miles for a sub 4. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely be going for it!
Question though, if you average 8.55 and start at 9.30, what pace are your quick miles?
31/03/2013 at 09:09
Hi Will, I did a training half last weekend (should have been a race but was cancelled due to the weather) I ran that in 1hr 39 mins which was really pushing myself but felt ok. I've also ran a midweek 10k recently where I smashed my PB running it in 7min mile splits, 42:42. Is your plan to run a consistent pace? I ask as I seem to find it working well if I start slow and speed u, gets the first quarter of the race done without really feeling it.
Denise, miles 8-21 were ran anywhere between 8:20 and 8:45 min mile pace averaged about 8:30. Last mile was slower again but was letting myself ease off a little by then
31/03/2013 at 09:30

Happy Easter everyone 

OMG, you've been busy on here with lots of good news and training stuff so I hope I've remembered it all!

Pepe, good news about your injury.

Fenn and Denise yay for your long runs.  A great confidence boost.

Andrew, I agree about your speed.  Your training half would suggest you would be comfortably around the 4 hour mark and your 22 miler was very impressive. Wow.  Go for it!!!!!

OK, my memory is playing tricks with me now so forgive me if I get a bit muddled   

The fuelling strategy is always contentious as we are all so very different.  I never eat before a training run, no matter how far and I only take on water in hotter weather and I don't use gels or sports drinks.  This suits me and it has taken me years of experimenting to get it right.  However, on marathon morning I always eat something (usually porridge and banana but on VLM day it's always a chocolate croissant) 'cos I always have to travel a long way and have to get there so early that I'd be starving at the start line otherwise.  I take on water during the marathon and the occasional sip of a sports drink or my own concoction (diluted fruit juice, pinch of salt and some honey).  On off-road marathons I will eat biccies, choccy, cake or anything they offer me at the feed stations 

With regard to sports massage and Physio, I use sm as a preventive measure and I rarely visit a Physio these days (touch wood!!!!).  It is not cheap though and so I try to time my visits so I get the most benefit from them - so I have one about 9-10 weeks into my marathon schedule and then the beginning of the week before a marathon.  If I get a chance to have a post race massage I will have one, unless the queues are too long, as that really helps speed up recovery.

Have a lovely day everyone.  I'm just back from my 9 miler.  Taper, taper, taper 

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 09:32
31/03/2013 at 09:55
Andrew, I think you should be aiming for sub 4 definitely based on that half time.

My plan is to start at around 9 min mile for first 2 miles, then 8'50 from miles 3-6. Then see how I feel but aim to let the pace drift down a little each mile from mile 7 onwards (but not so it feels laboured) until I hit 8'35 (target pace) and then hopefully stick with it as long as possible.

I too like to start slower..
31/03/2013 at 13:28

Just back from a cracking 10 miler avg 8.58 min/mile with a negative split, that's one of the best runs I've had all training! And it was without breakfast....!!

31/03/2013 at 14:16
Denise well done, great running and all the better you enjoyed it.

Well out today for the first time in a week and did 9 miles at 9 min average and the great news is my knee was superb, absolutely no pain and like Denise I enjoyed it. I was blowing away the cobwebs as last night was best man at a great wedding where plenty of alcohol was consumed so I think I did well running when feeling rough!!
31/03/2013 at 15:53

Well done BigE and Denise!

14,221 to 14,240 of 14,695 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.