sub or about 4h30 hopefully

14,261 to 14,280 of 14,704 messages
03/04/2013 at 09:50

Bigeater, I'm now semi-convinced that a high mileage, when controlled, is the key to strength and success. Running 4 or 5 or 6 days a week since January has just made me strong, so that I can run a minute a mile quicker than last year, and at the top end, can "sprint" at 6:30 to 7:30 pace for half a mile or a mile at a time, recover a minute then do it again! Also means running 10 milers, 13.1s or even 20 miles at paces I'd have not thought about 2 years ago! (e.g. 20 miles at 8:40 pace; 4 years ago, that was my 10k pace!)

I appreciate many people can't find or allocate time - I can, at the moment, and have no problem spending an hour a day running, so don't feel nagged at if I question lower mileages! Unless of course, you're "racing" a marathon, as in, chasing a PB, and then wondering why you don't improve with 20 miles a week!

03/04/2013 at 11:59

Morning all,

Bigeater well done on you 8 miles good effort, great for the confidence. and well Jim you are putting me to shame. Do you do any core strengthing work too?

Im feeling a bit rubbish today. I am really really tired, didn't get out of bed till 9am (i start work at 9am!) Do not have any excuse either, I have not done any exericse in 3 days!! Been laying off my foot which has been sore since my long run. However could of gone for a swim which I didn't do so very disapointed with self.

Foot is feeling much better today so will go to the gym tonight to have a feel on the treadmill.  

I really want to rest up my body so I am fresh and enjoy the big marathon day, but yet I am racked with guilt for not exercising. I am sooo tired. Moan over sorry!

03/04/2013 at 15:24

Fenn, I've not run since Sunday as I've been full of snot, bogies, sore throat and a cough - not nice.  

I'm still not 100% but I feel like trying to run this evening as NOT running is making me panic. 

When I feel like that Fenn, I have to bully myself into doing something - like you say, it doesnt have to be running and I always feel so much better for it afterwards. 

What an inspiring post Jim! There's a teeny part of me that thinks if I trained strategically and with more focus I might be able to do a 4 hr marathon - the improvements that you've seen are very encouraging...watch this space! 

03/04/2013 at 19:33

Fenn, I don't do much core work at all, just a pilates class once a week. My core strength is generally very weak!

Folks, watch out for that lethargy! it'll creep up on you and make you tired for nothing! keep the miles ticking by, this week do 2/3 your peak mileage, so you can comfortably stay at 20 miles + this week and next! in the week before the race, drop to 3 short, steady 4-5 mile runs. You can do some sprints on the Tuesday before the race, just to stretch your legs and keep supple. Stop completely now and you'll effectively seize up!

03/04/2013 at 20:17

So true Jim!  Most people do too much in their taper time but it's also not good to do nothing.  I always try maintain my 30 miles a week base but made up of shorter distances to keep my leggies ticking over.  We need t find you a wife now you've got your own place now don't we 

Fenn take care and don't push too hard if you're feeling grotty.

Denise, you are wise to just do something rather than nothing but please don't overdo it.

BigE, that was a useful 8 miler.

Take care all you marathoners and look after yourselves - eat good food, not junk and make sure you get lots of sleep.  Also, in case you've not done it already, deal with your toe nails!

03/04/2013 at 21:08
Weird Denise I missed your last post, its not coming up! Only know you posted because saw your name on the thread.

Thanks for your advise Iccle Jim and Redhead. So good to have your wisdom.

Although I am feeling even worse post gym. Stopped after 1k on treadmill because of this weird foot pain. Which started after my long run and was inside of foot on the arch. Felt nothing this morning and then went to gym and started to feel something on the arch/ball. Can pain move. ?...

Doing all the usual RICE have a sports massage tomorrow tomorrow so will seek advise then. Going to go swimming in the morning.....
04/04/2013 at 10:49
Fenn, see my earlier post on plantar fasciitis, it may well not be this in your case but the stuff I mention will only help any pain around the arch of your foot. Ensure your calfs are well stretched and your Achilles, this could well be causing the problem.
04/04/2013 at 10:50
Here you go Fenn...

Hi pep, but this sounds very similar to what I have had recently, the bad news is I have had PFbefore and this feels like the very early stages of it coming back. The good news is that if like me the pain is in the arch not the heel then it is very early days and can be dealt with. Firstly, I know you said you are icing your foot, but when you do this use a bottle of frozen water (sprite/coke bottle is perfect) and wearing a sock, roll ur foot over this using the pressure to massage your foot. (This may well be sore to do)
Secondly, if you want to give it a more effective massage, you can use the knuckles of your thumb but better than this is rolling your foot over a golf ball.
The other thing you will need to do is lots of stretching, start with your calfs, a lot of PF is brought on by tight calfs and Achilles, you can stretch this too by dropping your knee when in a traditional calf stretch. When you wake up before you get out of bed and walk on it, put a towel around the ball/toes of the effected foot while keeping leg straight and pull to stretch the arch. Lastly you can stand on a step on one leg, with just the ball of your foot on the step and drop your heel down and hold for about thirty secs before lifting (don't lift to a calf raise or you undo the good you have just done)
Hope that all makes sense? And good luck with it.
Regarding massage guys if you can get a sports therapist to do it then it's much cheaper than a physio, tho obviously a physio is better if you have pains (ESP if you don't know why!!!)
Had a nice 8 miles tonight another tomorrow then the big 22 on sat
04/04/2013 at 11:35

Thanks Andrew, I have re read your earlier post a few times. My calfs do feel tight and not any noticable pain when I walk, feel like I could run very easily, just could not ignore it last night (i tend to play things safe) so am  being optimistic and rest again till Sunday and see how it feels then.

Went for an enjoyable swim this morning instead.

Not sleeping well at the moment... and have started to look at 10 day weather forecasts. (too soon I know)  We are going into a warmer /rainy (12-15 degrees) patch of weather in london.

04/04/2013 at 12:24

Chin up Fenn and good luck with the sports massage today.  RICE is best at this stage in the game.

I'm a very happy girlie today as a major yarn supplier has agreed to supply my wool for VLM and to make a donation to my charity as well.  Hoorah! 

04/04/2013 at 13:56
Redhead wrote (see)

I'm a very happy girlie today as a major yarn supplier has agreed to supply my wool for VLM and to make a donation to my charity as well.  Hoorah! 

I've obviously missed a very crucial bit of information here..... 

04/04/2013 at 14:23
Speaking of charities, who is everyone running for? I got a ballot place this yr and chose to run for bliss as a couple of friends have had prem babies. Both my gorgeous boys were born on time but I've seen some of the work they do.
04/04/2013 at 14:24
Oh and that's fantastic news re the wool red. Shall we start placing scarf and hat orders now?
04/04/2013 at 14:43
andrew heley wrote (see)
Speaking of charities, who is everyone running for? I got a ballot place this yr and chose to run for bliss 

I too was lucky enough to get a ballott place and chose to run for Starlight.  They were my first choice charity in 2010 but they didnt have any places then.  

04/04/2013 at 15:16
Again lucky I got my own place and running for BREAST CANCER CARE. My sister is fighting this horrible disease and thankfully winning her fight and if she can win that battle I can easily run 26.2 miles as there's no comparison.

A nice 11 miles today and good company from my other sister who ran with me, she isn't training for anything and just keeps me company which I appreciate.

Fenn- your very sensible and doing the right thing. No point risking it and resting until Sunday makes sense.

Redhead- brilliant news with the yarn, well done. Surely there must be a guiness world record you could challenge with your marathon knitting?
04/04/2013 at 15:23

Denise, I'm going to try and beat my own Guinness World Record for the longest scarf knitted whilst running a marathon 

Andrew, when I'm doing it I start off counting how many of each different comment I get and the winner is always "mind you don't drop a stitch" with "knit me a scarf/hat while you're at it" a close second!!!

My chosen charity for my marathons is always Alzheimer's Research UK.  I've started to get all teary about it already as it's always a very emotional experience as I have to do loads of interviews and talk about mum's story.  It has to be done though.

So many wonderful charities, all well-deserving of support.  I met a lovely man who runs for Starlight dressed as a star a couple of years ago - it was a very heavy and ungainly costume but he ran really well in it.

(((Oooh, group hug time)))

04/04/2013 at 15:27

BigE, cross-post there.  Healing vibes to your sister (I had a major scare with it last year, OK now).  Yes indeed I can go for another GWR - I hold 2 already, one for knitting and one for crocheting 

04/04/2013 at 19:13
Denise, Have you blocked me? Can not read your posts?.?.. Very weird.

I got my place through the ballot! (rejected 5 years in a row) I am running for Gosh as i was a patient as a child (cleft lip, they did an amazing job can barely see the scar)

All worthy charities, hats off to you Red, have you been training, knitting whilst running? I will get my 'fans' (supporters) to look out for you and gove you a special cheer!

On a bummer of a note my physio got cancelled at the last minute because an oversight in the booking. Soo upset! next appointment I can get is saturday and its with someone else who doesnt know me....
04/04/2013 at 19:15
Denise no posts you have ever written are showing up! Can you read mine?

If someone could re-quote Denises posts for me from Today onwards would be appreciated,
04/04/2013 at 19:16
Ok sorted...I apparently had set on my settings to ignore your posts!
14,261 to 14,280 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.