sub or about 4h30 hopefully

141 to 160 of 14,704 messages
08/11/2004 at 08:47
Well done paul, much faster than me and at least you had something to look at rather than a treadmill and an empty gym!!! I'm doing my first race on Sunday, the Townmoor Memorial 10K in newcastle, I'll be happy to do it around 55minutes maybe a little slower!!
09/11/2004 at 17:17
Hi all

Just pondering whether to join you lot over here, or the crowd on the sub 5 hour thread….

I have been running for a mere 5 months, only done one race before (GSR, 1:38), currently doing around 15 miles a week, sometimes more. Other races booked so far are the Nike 10k this month, and the Bath Half Marathon in March. A couple of little 'uns being pondered.

I'm by no means quick (see GSR time!), and seem to have a comfortable jog pace of around 10.5 to 11 min miles. GSR time was all sub 10 minute miles and to this day I don't know how I managed that. Will be 31 in December (eek), and some may describe me as "stocky"… heh. By no means am I built to be a runner.

Anyway, am I in the right place, or should I move along quietly?
09/11/2004 at 17:36
Jon that was a great time for the GSR and if you can keep that up you're definitely in the right place. 31, you're still a young'n mate. Hope to talk some more with you later.
09/11/2004 at 18:01
Hi all, very excited tired girl here. Just ran 20mins on the treadmill with no ill effects at all, surely over the worst now. Hoping to get outside by next week, orthotics seem really comfortable but I guess the tester will be the longer runs.
PJ, not really speaking for everyone but most of us are on this thread because we're hopeful of sub 4:30, not confident!! Well done on the half Paul, hope you're recovering well.
10/11/2004 at 12:09
Hi excited girl, thats good news about the injury and the orthotics. Take it nice and easy and hopefully you're well on your way. I'm just getting used to my orthotics to.

RC How did you 10K go? I'm doing the Nike one at the end of the month.
10/11/2004 at 17:06
PJ, I'm a beginner too (started running over summer) and am hoping for a sub 4:30 time, although will be happy to just get round in one piece to be honest! My steady run pace is about the same as well. So I reckon you should stick with this thread.

What is GSR? At first I thought it was meant to be GNR but am confused now!
10/11/2004 at 17:41
Looks like I'm sticking here then!

Bananna - GSR is the Great South Run.

Will no doubt keep in touch with you all over the coming months...

12/11/2004 at 16:54
Hey peeps where art thou? How's it going?
12/11/2004 at 18:40
Too busy running to post;)
Not really, just building up slowly and so far knee is holding out.
I've got a 10k booked at the end of the month, does anyone have any advice as to whether I should do it or not, bearing in mind I'm only just back from a knee injury and I'm getting used to my orthotics.
I would like to but am bit scared of making things worse again!
All advice welcome!
13/11/2004 at 13:30
Done two half hours out on the Downs this morning, brrrrrrrr very cold but glorious sunshine. having ITB problems again though.
13/11/2004 at 16:54
Tiredgirl, I don't know much but I would say you should do the 10K if you want to, as long as you don't go full out and race it. If you use it as a training run then you'll probably be fine.
Dips, sorry to hear you have knee problems again. I have a feeling the same will happen to me as soon as I start training again-it's very frustrating!
13/11/2004 at 19:58
Hi Peeps good to hear from you guys.
Tiredgirl, the end of the month is not far away and as your coming back from injury plus getting used to the orthotics please be careful. Missing a 10K is not the end of the world, is it the Nike 10K?, as there are plenty more you can do. See how you go and if you feel you are able to then do it but as Bananna said don't go flat out. Alternatively you could run say half of it just to sample the atmosphere.

Dips,I have suffered and still do sometimes suffer from ITB, the only answer is continious stretching. The one that works for me is when I lie on my back, cross the R leg over on to the L knee and then sloooooowly pull my L knee towards my chest. It does hurt a bit but it gives the ITB a good stretch. Try it.

Today is very cold around Essex but at least Liverpool won,yessssssss.
16/11/2004 at 13:17
Thanks Stylish and Bananna for the advice.
The 10K is the Leeds Abbey Dash which I think has 'fun' runners in it as well, so I'm hoping to be able to take it a bit slower. Just back on the roads this week though (only about 3 mile at mo!) so will see how that goes and make a decision next week. Like you say, plenty more to go at if I don't manage this one.

Dips, hope your IT Band is feeling better. Like Stylish says, stretch, stretch, stretch. My 7 year old is so used to me doing the exercise that Stylish has mentioned that she now thinks it's a great game to lie on the floor and mimic me!! Just hoping really that it all pays off - only 5 months tomorrow!!
17/11/2004 at 14:33
That clock on the FLM website is merciless. Do they put the time to race-day in days, rather than months, on purpose?! So little time left, so many miles to get in!. As far as schedules go, are any of you going to follow the 'ultimate' sub 4.30 schedule from this web-site?
18/11/2004 at 07:32
Haven't even looked at it - might have a glance at it and see if it's realistic timewise. Gotta 10K in Heanor on Sunday. No rain please !
18/11/2004 at 18:08
Normski, I'm planning to follow that schedule, if I get a place and if my knees will let me! Looks pretty good to me.
19/11/2004 at 09:06
I've started it a bit early, so week 4 finishes with the Victory 5 in Portsmouth. Then repeat first month. That'll bring it in line with FLM timing. Hope you hear good news soon.
19/11/2004 at 10:51
Hi guys how is everyone? Yesterday the charity that I've got a bond place with sent me my application form and on it was my race number. It sent a litle tingle down my spine and brought home to me how quickly the time is flying by. I chickened out of my run last night because of the rain, turned out to be good decision as it was raining cats and dogs. Hopefully will get out tonight.

l8rs
20/11/2004 at 13:36
I finally have an assessment at the orthotics place on tues. Hopefully they'll sort me out so I can start running again, or at least tell me how to sort myself out!
22/11/2004 at 11:06
Hi guys, how are we all.

I'm really pee'd off - finally started running again after my achilles injury and chest infection and bam - other calf painful now. It's hurting like hell today.

Seems like i'm destined to injure every muscle in both legs before I can start training properly. May have to give up on FLM05 at this rate! Bah humbug.

That's it, moan over. Thanks for listening. Onwards and upwards eh? Happy runs all.
141 to 160 of 14,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.