Sub5 - Gareth Edmondson - Vote For Me - ASICS262

Sub5 - Gareth Edmondson - Vote For Me - ASICS262

1 to 20 of 71 messages
03/12/2013 at 19:47

Hello,

My name is Gareth Edmondson and I’ve been chosen as a Sub5 finalist for the ASICS 26.2 Runners World Paris Marathon Challenge. There are 4 of us in this category so I’d like to wish every one of us the very best of luck.

You can vote for me here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-500-finalists.aspx

My story is a simple one and maybe one that others can relate to. I started running in October 2011 after visiting Marks and Spencer for some work clothes. I was a 36” waist in jeans but needed 38” waist in smart trousers. Never having worried about my weight before I suddenly realised that with a 1 year old son I needed to be fitter and healthier if I was to run around after him. I walked out of Marks and Spencer and vowed to start running. That evening I went out and struggled to run half a mile. 

I’d read that people give up in the first two weeks and vowed never to do that. I haven’t and am proud of my achievements so far. I decided to log everything using an app on my phone and started blogging sporadically at http://www.indigo-cube.co.uk - I try and keep the blog updated.

I run for enjoyment. I strongly believe that every mile is a mile - be it super fast or super slow - it’s a mile. It’s fitness.

Since starting running I’ve lost two stone in weight and am currently 13stone 2. All down to the running and a better diet.

During the day I am a teacher. In fact I head of an ICT/Computer Science department at a comprehensive school in Swansea. I have told the pupils about this competition and I hope that some see this as an inspiration and take up running. I run during my lunch times and can usually fit in a 5/6k with time for a shower.

I’d love to go further in this competition. If you guys vote for me then it would be appreciated. I know there are others who will be competing for your votes so I’m sure you will all make the right decision.

I can be reached on Twitter: @welshgje or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gareth.edmondson.73

Thank you. Any questions - please do ask away.

Gareth

Edited: 03/12/2013 at 19:53
seren nos    pirate
03/12/2013 at 20:28

too much info in one post...we  are lazy and will just not bother reading if its too difficult.....keep it simple.........

what kind of poster will you be and what  would you bring personally if you had your own thread

03/12/2013 at 20:30

I’m sure you will all make the right decision.

Already made mine.

03/12/2013 at 20:31

Shwmae Seren,

Ahhh I can cut it down if you think I should. DOn't be lazy - it's a good story and not too difficult.

Poster - dedicated. Once I get my mind one something I follow it through. I use several forums and live on my computer (due to my job) - so always have it open. You won't have to wait long for a reply.

Personally - Again, dedication.

Thanks for the pointers.

seren nos    pirate
03/12/2013 at 20:32

just experience.....if its more than a couple of paragraphs people just scroll down.......on this kind of medium people do not like reading essays.

one plus point is that you have responded quickly 

03/12/2013 at 20:35

Hiya Seren Nos - Now with that name, I'm interested in where you are based.

Gareth

seren nos    pirate
03/12/2013 at 20:41

south wales valleys 

03/12/2013 at 20:49

Ahh that doesn't give much away. I could say that as well. I'm in Brynaman. Lovely area. Welsh speaker?

03/12/2013 at 21:51

doesnt it mean night star, or something?

03/12/2013 at 22:00
Pfft.
03/12/2013 at 22:06

@MaxsMum - Yes Seren = Star / Nos = Night.

@Flob - Okay. Thanks for that. Wow - what did I say? 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pfft

04/12/2013 at 10:38

Morning all,

Feeling great today - still cannot believe I am a Finalist for the Sub 5 group. It's such a weird feeling. I mean - a local marathon would be cool but to get the chance of running the my first marathon in Paris is just amazing.

Thank you to anyone on here that has voted for me. I promise that if you get through you will be rewarded with a good run.

Gareth

04/12/2013 at 12:07

Since I started running I've always used Runkeeper to track where I've been and what I've done - along with the blog it has kept a useful diary for when I feel down or have lost my mojo.

Anyway I thought I'd fire up the ASICS App today and create a plan. Based on my times so far this is what it came up with: 

"Our prediction is based on your profile as a 38 year old male who can run a Half Marathon in 21:14:42." - the App has me at 4:45:59 - 4 runs a week at an Average pace

I'd take that for now.

Gareth 

04/12/2013 at 12:23

Well done Gareth, you're winning so far Damn You!

04/12/2013 at 12:26

Just voted for you when I started my app said about the same time but now it is saying 3.33.43, just go with it if your a little faster so be it,

All the best

Craig

04/12/2013 at 12:40

Yay!! Go Gareth!! I am routing for you buddy xx

04/12/2013 at 12:44

@MaxsMum - We are all winners for getting to bootcamp. Maybe us Sub5 people should meet up anyway in the future and run.

@CraigJenkins - Cheers Craig. Really appreciated. My Half Marathon target was 2:30 so 16 mins off that was a bonus. Hopefully the full will be faster as well.

@CharlieZBrown - Thanks Charlie. Exciting times. Good luck to you as well.

04/12/2013 at 13:35
welshgje wrote (see)

Since I started running I've always used Runkeeper to track where I've been and what I've done - along with the blog it has kept a useful diary for when I feel down or have lost my mojo.

Anyway I thought I'd fire up the ASICS App today and create a plan. Based on my times so far this is what it came up with: 

"Our prediction is based on your profile as a 38 year old male who can run a Half Marathon in 21:14:42." - the App has me at 4:45:59 - 4 runs a week at an Average pace

I'd take that for now.

Gareth 

I've started using the Asics App too Gareth - but only for the Bath Half at the moment. I'm considering entering Manchester Marathon and following the training plan for the "sub 5 athlete."

Anyway good luck with the voting and I'm sure you can get well under 5 hours

04/12/2013 at 14:39

@jonMarshall4 - Thanks Jon for the post and encouragement. I'm sure with the proper training and leadership I will indeed get well under 5 hours.

Best wishes and good luck to you in your races.

Gareth

04/12/2013 at 14:44

You got my vote Gareth - good luck!

1 to 20 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.