Support Group 3

Mudchute Live 22/04/2012

201 to 220 of 398 messages
10/04/2012 at 14:44
Maddy. wrote (see)

Bugger only 2 weeks

This taper madness is hitting me already, and I've only dropped about 20 miles out of the week equivalent so far!

Spectators' question.  Is it better to stay in one place, such as just North of Mudchute where the runners go by two or three times, or attempt to travel from place to place stopping at three or four points?  How is the travel on the day?  (Not looking for a specific route here - I'm looking to earn that GFA! )  Also, how early should you get to the busier points to be certain of a good view, or is it possible to get in anywhere (between 1 and 25 miles) at any time?

10/04/2012 at 15:01

Get there early if you want a spot anywhere along the second half of the route. In the past I have seen my runner to the start then walked across to somewhere along the stretch south of the river, but avoiding the bit where the Cutty Sark is as that is always packed.

Once most of the runners have gone past they reopen the foot bridge so you can walk across to the Isle of Dogs and see them again around the Mudchute area.  After that is is pot luck.  The tube stations are often closed so it is worth knowing where the stations are that are not on the circle/district line and using them instead (for example, Charing Cross, Green Park etc).  The Embankment is several people deep, however if your runner is slow (finish time of about 5 hours or more) then the crowds will start to clear and you can get a good spot around mile 24-25.  Its not far from there to meet them at the finish.

If your runner is fast then I suggest getting a spot early on and staying there.  I've known people to take an hour longer to get from start to finish on public transport then it has taken their runner to complete the race.

Iron Pugsley    pirate
10/04/2012 at 19:49
Supercaz - As requested

Dougie
Race no 10535
Wearing blue make a wish t-shirt with Dougie on chest
Time will be really unpredictable due to frail body but m17 somewhere between 3hr and 3h15
I will bring some powerbar gels, cash and jelly babies to excel on fri.

looking forward and thanking you all very much for the support.
Edited: 10/04/2012 at 19:50
10/04/2012 at 22:05
Thanks IP!
10/04/2012 at 23:51

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/372544/Gallery/ScreenShot060.jpg

Dodgy photo of me in my Havens Hospice Vest to give you an  idea of who to look out for

My special needs may now be half a banana and a slice of orange, as I think a bottle of Lucozade Sport may be a bit too much liquid, as I may leave a bottle with another supporter at 14 & 21 miles

11/04/2012 at 07:46
Nice to have something that isn't sweet too Jordie.  When I opened the goodie bag after FLM in 2009 I couldn't face the chocoalte and cereal bars but the apple was the best apple that I had ever tasted.
11/04/2012 at 08:17

Morning

Race number 18584

Will take cash to expo for supporters to buy general supplies as I imagine the weight of a few hundred packs of jelly babies may be rather prohibitive.

May also leave a gel for mile 17 - which I will label up 

Thank you, thank you, thank you  - may not be coherent enough to say this on the day!

11/04/2012 at 09:33
Morning all Not long now, I hope the tapir madness is not too bad
11/04/2012 at 10:43
B wrote (see)
Morning all Not long now, I hope the tapir madness is not too bad

Yes, it's that bad.  I do occasionally think I'm a pig-like animal, but that might be down to the amount of food I'm trying to stop myself from eating!  Isn't it awful that you can't just keep guzzling all that food that sustained you through high mileage weeks!

Cheers, Caz.  The runner is me, so faster than the average pack runner, but I have my own thoughts on whether that's actually fast or not.  I might advise start then over to Isle of Dogs.

11/04/2012 at 19:40

I'm lovin the taper , fed up of all those long miles .just bring it on now!

11/04/2012 at 20:06

enjoy the taper

its there for a reason - it is vital, especially for the novice or in expereinced

it'll leave you fresh and strong for the big day

it dont mean do nothing - just less , nice easy shorter stuff , whilst you carbo load up and fuell up,

eat, drink and sleep well - so if next Thursday, Friday or Saturday the nevers and excitemnet lose you sleep, you'll have already prepared

enjoy and good luck all

12/04/2012 at 07:21
Hi SuperCaz, B and Maddy,
Have been sent over by Sister Bad Habit as a late joiner to your support group. Firstly thanks so much for your support. This is my first marathon and I don't have family coming to support along the route, so I will be very pleased to see you at mile 17!
Race number is 38391, name Lorna, I will be wearing the CLIC Sargent bright pink vest with my name on front, black leggings. Hoping for 10 min miles, so should be with you around 2.50 after start, possibly around 1pm? Am starting in red zone and have been told it can take 30 minutes to get across the start line, so my timings may well be out!
I may drop a bag off at the Expo but can't think of anything special needed, maybe a banana and some jelly babies.
Thanks again Guys, sounds like you do a fabulous job.
12/04/2012 at 10:05

Welcome Felixa!  You are added to the magical spreadsheet

Ratzer, you might not think you are fast, but you are the fastest person on my spreadsheet.  That makes you speedy fast in my books!

12/04/2012 at 19:36
Hi SuperCaz, B and Maddy!
I too am a latecomer to this group, and I feel very welcome already having read some of the comments. This is my first marathon so it will be great to have support at mile 17!
My race number is 47039, name Kate, I'll be wearing the Sense orange and blue vest with my name on the front, and black and purple shorts. I'm aiming to finish in 4 hours so I should reach mile 17 at about 12:30pm (ish..?!)
I may drop off some gels at the expo, other than that it would be brilliant just to say hi.
Thanks in advance for your support, looking forward to seeing you!
13/04/2012 at 08:59
SuperCaz wrote (see)

Welcome Felixa!  You are added to the magical spreadsheet

Ratzer, you might not think you are fast, but you are the fastest person on my spreadsheet.  That makes you speedy fast in my books!

I note themp is looking at a 3:05, so I'll be hoping to be right on his heels (I've decided not to risk pushing for anything faster on my 2nd mara).  But in real terms CC2 is far faster!

Lovely set of 400s last night to blow the jitters out of the legs.  I can't wait to get into short, fast summer training!

13/04/2012 at 10:29
Welcome Kate and Felixa
Morning all
13/04/2012 at 10:46

Hello newcomers

ermm 16 sleeps to go

13/04/2012 at 10:46
Or maybe not its next weekend isn't it so 9 sleeps to go
13/04/2012 at 10:47

Added to the list Kate.

I'm getting really excited as I have so much on next week, finishing with the VLM.  I'm in my element when I am busy and organising stuff.

13/04/2012 at 10:49
Hello threezies, just popped in from twozies to say hello...might see caz and maddy at mudchute next to tickled.........could be a wagon train!!!!
201 to 220 of 398 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.