Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Introducing the second member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Colin (aka knight rider) PB Hunter Colin will be mentored by Steve Smythe on t...

201 to 220 of 1,944 messages
28/12/2011 at 12:13
I try to do a Body Pump class at the gym once a week, plus some core stuff and the rehab exercises I was given for my ITBS make a regular appearance (now pre-hab rather than re-hab, prevention is better than cure!). I'm also quite a fan of kettlebells and have some dvd workouts that I can do at home or in the gym if I can find enough space inbetween all the meathead showoffs.

I don't do weights in the few days before a target race though.

Planning a trip to the gym this afternoon myself. I've finished the antibiotics now but it's blowing a howling gale outside, so I think I'll have a plod on the treadmill (must work out the paces as I'm not used to kph) and do some weights and core.
28/12/2011 at 12:59
peter thompson 14 wrote (see)

Sounds like some good running there PMJ especially the cabbage patch 10k like KR says. Thats a good mix of targets for london to and will you be doing anything different training wise in the build up as opposed to last year? Im sure from this and choisty threads there be lots of hints through steves and everyone advice etc and my plan this year will be similar to choistys just maybe watering down the millage a little bit initially. I take it you started with a GFA place last year? was there much congestion at the start or did you get away trouble free?

Last year was a bit odd, decided to do a marathon over Christmas so started from cold on Jan 17th on a 16 week plan for May 8th race. My first 20 was 5th March (9 weeks before marathon) and I did 2x19, 3x20 and 1x21. This year I have done a 20 last week in base building and will do 5x21 plus others as long runs and will do everything a bit faster: i started out with a 3:15 plan, so 7:27 pace, then changed to a 3:00 after a 1:22 half, so 6:52 pace. This year hoping for 2:50 so 6:29 pace, a full minute a mile faster.

I didn't race London, got my GFA at Shakespeare, others can comment on the starting pens. At Stratford there was no issue with start as it was open at the front, I was 21st and chip and gun time were identical.

28/12/2011 at 13:37

well done kight rider. at last you are in!

good luck with your target! 

jane  

28/12/2011 at 13:53

Thanks for the mental picture Fraser of you arsing about on a medicine ball in front of the TV!
In the last few weeks in December I have been averaging 35 miles a week with a 10 mile midweek run and a 12/13 mile LSR on Sundays. Not doing any speedwork as such in that time, but instead doing the odd mile/s within those runs at a bit of pace (6.20 - sub 7.00 pace).

It looks like some kind of resistence work is in order, I didn't realise so many of you did that!

Thanks for the good luck Jane, how are things for you? Didn't you run the Paris marathon anyway last year. What have you got lined this spring?

Edited: 28/12/2011 at 13:54
28/12/2011 at 17:10

KR - As MM said, keep a log of all runs, your pace, HR and how you feel.  Also information about hills, wind, etc, helps as HR is the effort you are putting in to a run.  If you are running into the wind you are putting more effort in to keep the same pace (sorry if that is stating the obvious).  On windier days, or days when you are not on top form, your HR can be higher than normal, so making notes helps you remember the sessions.   For instance, today my HR is actually lower than the last few times I have done the same run as the wind was against me running downhill and at my back coming back uphill.  Made pace look quicker and HR lower

Like Pete, I rarely do actual sit-ups.  I find doing simple weights while balancing on Bosu or stability balls help to strengthen the whole body more than isolating each area.

Edited: 28/12/2011 at 17:13
28/12/2011 at 18:24
A good run yesterday KR - the average HR info in itself probably isn't too crucial but worth keeping a tab on each run but  - probably more important to see in a run like that whether it upped in the last few miles or stayed fairly constant and keep a clsoer tab when you do speedwork or marathon pace
28/12/2011 at 20:36

Mrs KR had been bargin hunting most of the day so I had to wait for her to come back before I could get out for a run. So 10k in the twilight zone with a run down a few country lanes chasing the fading light. Luckily I had my fluo gear on as the light faded - amazing how quick it changes this time of year.

6.1 miles in 50.07, average pace 8.12 with an average heart rate of 150 bpm.
8.15 - 138bpm
8.06 - 151 bpm
8.11 - 149 bpm
8.03 - 153 bpm
8.28 - 152 bpm
8.16 - 155 bpm

A bit quicker than predicted but the 2 faster miles were going down hill and I find it hard to hold back even more going downhill, instead I just go with the flow. Finished the run this evening feeling fresh and not like I had just run 6 miles. Looking forward to doing the MP style run tomorrow and will be interested to see how the HR differs on the faster miles.

Fair point Martin about the conditions and the terrain having a factor on the HR - hadn'tt hought about it like that. When we were at Bootcamp, Sarah the physio lady, said that sit ups weren't that relevant for a runner. Apart from giving you a nice six pack, they didn't really impact on the muscles needed to run.

28/12/2011 at 21:44
Another good even-paced run. HR looks steady. Yes obviously goes much higher uphill or in warmer conditions.
28/12/2011 at 21:49
Good running KR. Recovery running is when it feels easy and you feel better when you get back than you did when you start. Was the 138bpm mile mainly downhill as very different from the consistent others?

I do a lot of twisting and twisting lunges etc with a medicine ball to replicate you body movements when running. A lot of exercises online that i am sure will help.
28/12/2011 at 22:51
Martin, you twist when you run????
29/12/2011 at 09:03
And carry a medicine ball, too?!!
Good steady pace KR. I've never had a HRM so the HR stats are a bit lost on me, but sounds good! Did you get your resting and max HRs at the training day?
29/12/2011 at 09:33
No Speedy/Gul, I do twisting lunges in the gym with a medicine ball. Loads of those type of exercises on you tube.
29/12/2011 at 13:35
I'm feeling inspired - think I shall wear my HR monitor at track tonight! Hope it doesn't record a MI!
29/12/2011 at 20:11
But why Martin? Twisting in no way replicates your movements while running, which is what you said you were doing it for. Surely you'd be better off practicing *not* twisting
29/12/2011 at 22:33
Is this what you do martin? (It's not you in the video is it?)
He makes it look so easy! Is it for stability, as I can see the benefits of that.
29/12/2011 at 22:44

A relaxing day today taking my boys to the cinema to see the Tin Tin movie - amazing animation, nearly looks real and a great story!

10k tonight in 45.36, average pace 7.28 and average heart rate of 157 bpm
7.57 @ 125 bpm
7.18 @ 157 bpm
7.16 @ 167 bpm
7.23 @ 163 bpm
7.14 @ 172 bpm
7.39 @ 160bpm

Idea being that the first mile would be steady, the next 4 @ MP and the last mile steady. Having done easy miles for the last week or so it was the first time i have put my foot down a bit and it looks like I overcooked it on the MP section. Although it was only for 4 miles, the pace shows I have a bit of discipline to learn when it comes to MP!

29/12/2011 at 23:16
A bit too quick but not ridiculously so - maybe you will average 7:20 at Paris but of course you can only realistically go for that pace if the shoter race peed suggests it is realistic. At this stage of the training I would think it is better to be slightly slow and feel there is more there than go too quickly but presume you felt fine ?
29/12/2011 at 23:59
Hi Steve - When calculating a target MP do you allow anything for fade? Or is the target of your training to run the whole distance at the same speed? (7.27mins/mile?)   When I did my first marathon a couple of months ago my target was to beat 3.15 and so I set my strategy as 7.20 miles with 3 mins allowance for fade.  One of my concerns going into the race was how I would perform in the last 6 miles, when my training had stopped at 20, and I thought it was important physically and psychologically to have a bit left in reserve.   As it happens I ran most of the race nearer 7 mins miles but faded by around 5 or 6 minutes over the last quarter of the race and finished at 3.09.  How I'd have fared running at 7.20, or 7.27 pace, I'll never know!  Would be very interested in your thoughts.
30/12/2011 at 08:16
Yes KR, that sort of exercise amongst others. It all helps to stabilise your body Speedy during the points in races where your form starts to go a bit. It stops your body rolling.

Nice session there. I can remember from my training aimibg to run MP sections at 6.45 pace so that i had a bit in the bag for the latter stages of the race and that 6.52s would feel easy.
Edited: 30/12/2011 at 08:17
30/12/2011 at 08:44

That's pretty good for a first MP run KR; after a few more, you'll get the feel for that pace and do it on auto-pilot!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.