Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

201 to 220 of 1,420 messages
13/01/2012 at 09:59
Tenjiso: that did make me smile

Normally spend a lot of time running trying to visualise Paris... Or the finish line...
mcs
13/01/2012 at 10:58

Do you run with a radio or music Craig?

I like to run in the morning with the radio on but most other times I dont bother prefer to concentrate on pace and form, though on long runs I do resort to the radio or music due to boredom as the times get longer. Five miler for me this morning in 41 mins a lovely morning here in Derbyshire, chilly but clear as crystal at 7.40 when I left for work...............ooops time to do some more work. Have a good weekend sounds like you are doing well keep it up.

13/01/2012 at 12:19

Hi Craig!  I read your forum last night after receiving the RW Promotions email talking about the team selected and have to say I got quite carried away reading all the conversations on here...so much so I left work late.  Anyway, I'll be doing the VLM in April which will be my first marathon and finding your story extremely interesting.  Good luck with training and I'll be following your journey on here!

13/01/2012 at 13:14

Hey Craig, sounds like you've had a tough old week. Perfect pacing on today's 5 miles 'slow'! Enjoy the rest day tomorrow - but more importantly, the race on Sunday!

I'm going to post next week's schedule below - but we may adjust paces after Sunday, as discussed.

Changes from the RW Ultimate 4.30 Schedule: Hardly any.  I've given Craig longer rests in the 800m intervals, (3 mins instead of 2) but have also upped the pace. Craig is doing his 5mile/10km race in week 3, so week 4 becomes a long run. I've made it 11 miles.

Craig, if you're a bit tired from the race on Sunday, you could swap Tuesday and Thursday around.

Week Four w/c 16/1/12 (26M)
Mon Rest
Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 4 x 800m fast (7.30-8 min miling) or just run 4 x 4 mins at 7.30-8min mile pace if easier, with 200m (3 min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
Wed Rest
Thu 1M jog, then 2M (18 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
Fri 6M slow + 4 x acceleration strides
Sat Rest
Sun 11M easy (110 mins) off-road if poss, at least in part.
13/01/2012 at 13:15
mcs: I didn't either to be honest, but I've never found a set if headphone that haven't caused me some degree of pain. Could be my 'wingnut' ears though... Good pace mate, been cold here too and couldn't feel my thumbs when I got in...

Hi Louisa: I'm really pleased you've been enjoying reading, makes this replacement to FB obsession worth it! How cool is it thinking that we will never be in this position again and after mid April no longer first time marathoners in training? Best enjoy and remember it then...

I was thinking that the emotions involved are the same as the first flush of love in a new relationship. Hope, expectation, wonder and all the rest just involving running instead...
mcs
13/01/2012 at 14:21

Getting very emotional there Craig,,,,,,steady now its only running!!! That should set somebody off.........its defo addictive thats for sure............

Welcome to Louisa.......my first marathon was 2010 and I have learnt so much on here have a scoot round and ask questions it prompts conversation rather than just running stats and numbers, not that there is anything wrong with that though. How many miles you up to? Are you following a schedule?

13/01/2012 at 14:37

Craig: I know what you mean about the emotions...one day I get butterflies, next day I'm nervous, next day I can't wait for next run...does feel like a new relationship .

mcs: I'm following the RW sub 5:00 training plan, just getting towards end of week 2 and enjoying it.  I did 6 miles easy Sunday, 4 miles steady on Tues and yesterday did a 6 mile session with a few different paces in it (not sure what type of run they call that one...fartlek, tempo? still getting to grips with the different types).  Last race was a hlaf marathon Sept that was far slower than the one the previous year which I did in 2h 22 mins...so I think a 5:00 marathon is doable...I'm not exactly fast.

I do have one question...my training is going well and kept to schedule so far, I'll soon be heading off on a ski holiday for a week...any tips on how to keep on top of marathon trg while there (France)?

mcs
13/01/2012 at 15:28

if you ski all day that will keep you fit enough and dont eat and drink too much in the apres ski!!!  There maybe a gym if you are masochistic but just dont break any limbs, thats the main priority!!

Fartlek is speed play where you vary your pace during a run perhaps sprinting to the next bridge or lamppost then jogging then sprinting harder again and just varying your pace. Tempo runs are harder and something you want to do to help you learn to run tired, which happens later in the marathon!!!  Running at a pace just below flat out but hard.   All the best with training. There are tons of books out there you can order from the library or buy on Amazon if you are life long runner to be. A certain Sam Murphy has a good one particularly for the ladies......my wife has run a couple of half maras using it.  Enjoy the running above all else. Nearly time for me to run home...............in sunshine and light, amazing.

13/01/2012 at 20:07
Sam: thanks for the update.. Hope I'm not messing you about or anything. Im so glad this week is over! Picked up my club top this afternoon, really looking forward to Sunday. Going to try and watch my pacing really carefully and attempt to stay as even as possible. Also going to have a look about for how to get on the local track occasionally.

mcs: hopefully it will mate and you enjoyed your run home.

Louisa: yes, exactly!!! As mcs said, there is LOADS of stuff on here about different types of runs, training and people will be willing to help I lurked for months before posting stuff... Tempo: quick, sustained effort (it's about improving anabolic threshold point). Intervals are all about leg efficacy and speed (but also improves fitness), long runs build endurence, fitness and everything else. Sure no one will mind, but I got Sam's Marathon: From Start to Finish. Explained everything really well had plans that are realistic according to lifestyle and commitments.

General question about psychology again: what's the motivation? Fellow first timers: why are you putting yourself throught the training and potential pain of 26.2 miles? Not first timers, why again?

I'll post food tomorrow, Rachel has gone out to the pub with her mate so time for some PS3 action!!!
13/01/2012 at 20:35
Ha! Enjoy the weekend everyone. I'm off to Scotland to see my in-laws. Might go and spy on Rosie to check she's not sneaking in too many extra runs! Unfortunately we arrive a little too late to do the Edinburgh parkrun - my husband's mum and dad often do it - superfit family!
13/01/2012 at 21:01
BoDuke wrote (see)

General question about psychology again: what's the motivation? Fellow first timers: why are you putting yourself throught the training and potential pain of 26.2 miles? Not first timers, why again?

Hi BoD  - why again?  I'm not a first timer but very briefly, did 4hrs 10 min in my 3rd marathon and just knew I could have done a lot better time - that spurred me on to try and beat 4 hrs and with time this becomes a lifetime target until achieved - thing is that the marathon is not like any of the shorter distances so if you have done the right training, for example for a half, you're pretty sure you will achieve your target but with the marathon so many other factors come into play so the outcome is never assured - but the target remains like an everest and until you've stood at the top you keep going - i've tried another 5 times and not made the 4hrs yet but i still know i can do it with SMART training.

Why?  cos i want to be able to say to myself that i did the best i could do and until i can do that then i won't stop - after that then i'll do them for other reasons like enoying the experince of a trail marathon in the lakes, challenges of hills etc etc.

Oh, and I just love all the planning, debating all aspects of the plan, doing all the training and dreaming of the race itself - there is nothing in any other amateur sport that can touch it !!!  Grrrrrr...!!

13/01/2012 at 21:04
All - we've talked a bit about gels - Sweatshop are doing an offer on SIS Go gels at their stores for half price (62pence) for one week 23 Jan to 29th Jan.
13/01/2012 at 21:52
Cheers oscarr
14/01/2012 at 12:02

Morning all

Craig - motivation for me is really just to keep going! I have a condition called Lupus and didn't think I would be able to continue running for as long as I have. I'm sure the exercise helps. Running also gives me some precious time to myself in a very busy life with chidlren and work to fit in!

I managed 12.5 miles this morning, was a cold start but a lovely morning when the sun came up! 

14/01/2012 at 15:03
I switched back to Lucozade gel for my 12 mile run today. My reasons are that it's easier to carry the smaller packs, they don't make such a sticky mess when you open them, and there are plenty of water stations in the MK marathon to ensure that the gel is washed down. I'm also testing out lucozade sport, because this is also supplied around the course.

I'm considering using a SIS gel during the Watford half-marathon because there are not too many water stations, and it will be easier to take than the lucozade gel. I've used the SIS gels a few times now, and haven't had a repeat of the tummy pain that I experienced the first time, so I think that was just an unfortunate coincidence.
14/01/2012 at 18:21

Ruth McKean - Hi Ruth, a query re gels in races please - if you planned to take 6 gels during a 4 hour marathon when in the race would you take each one?  I ask this cos i've seen different advice on this with some saying take more at the end and some saying take them early (all by mile 15 lets say). 

Hope you don't mind me asking the question.  

14/01/2012 at 19:27
Sam: Enjoy Scotland!

Oscarr: I like to motivation and the reasoning. Thanks for the SIS note too.

mww: Is there any better motivation than an unknown deadline? Sorry to hear about the condition and hope it doesn't progress (did have to look it up) It's a bit chilly over here too the past few days. First time i've run in sub-zero...

On the gel topic, not had any in a while, when get up into the double figures Ive got a whole load of samples to get through.

Right, racing tomorrow. Only the second ever and not a mass participation event, so bit worried I've going to get shown up... Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
14/01/2012 at 19:47
Hey Bo - the best advice anyone can give you for your second race is to go at your own pace throughout and enjoy it - you will not be last and don't worry where you finish anyway cos it's all about getting race experience and testing your pacing.  Good luck!
14/01/2012 at 22:33
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

About pace and weight: losing weight will have an effect on your pace provided your fitness remains the same, or improves. If losing weight involves cutting silly amounts of calories from your diet, leaving you tired and vulnerable to illness/injury then it's not exactly going to help! There's a fine balance with weight loss and training and Craig has set a great example by losing weight slowly and steadily.

I would totally agree with Sam here and also add that if training hard and need to lose a decent amount of weight do not plan to lose any more than half a kilo a week and even 1/4 a kilo a week is okay depends how much you have to lose but echo no more than half per week when training as you need the energy to train and alos open risk of immunity being weaken and injury.  
BoDuke wrote (see)
Sat at desk at work, looking at total chaos and thinking: need coffee and one of these Starbucks all day breakfast pots... Lush and really filling, no real time to grab lunch today so should hit the spot.

Very quickly: LSR at weekend totalled nine miles in 1:33:11. Think I got quicker at the end though, was getting hungry and having lunch cooked for me. Also that route is getting a bit boring and need to find a new one. Overall, felt really good, physically no issue with aches, pains or anything. Drank plenty. Nice to Be upping the distances again, but deffo need a few new routes.

Going to stop procrastinating and do some work, get home, reply properly and kip.
It may be worth thinking through your nutritional needs the day before so you are organised and even plan your food (roughy) for the week so you are not caught up with having to eat what you can find as not always will this be best for fueling for training nor recovery from runs, It is amazing how a weekly food plan can save you money and make you eat better!
oscarr wrote (see)

Ruth McKean - Hi Ruth, a query re gels in races please - if you planned to take 6 gels during a 4 hour marathon when in the race would you take each one?  I ask this cos i've seen different advice on this with some saying take more at the end and some saying take them early (all by mile 15 lets say). 

Hope you don't mind me asking the question.  

Of course I don't mind!

your six gels work out at about 36g carbs per hour (if say 24g per gel) which sounds about right as a guide for how much you may need (plus water as and when you feel you need) however the timing of the gels will depend on your own body! Often elite runners don't take any gels (if they use them) in the first 10-15 miles and then will take some late on but often not many. I do think as a 4 hour marathon runner it may be best to take first one within 45 minutes but toward the last 2  hours you may find it better to take one every half hour but what works for you will not work for someone else!

14/01/2012 at 23:39
Ruth - many thanks indeed - looks like for a 4 hr race take one at 45min/90min/2hr/2.5/3.0/3.5 (6 in total) - sounds like a good plan to experiment with in training (on shorter runs of course !!).  Thanks again.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.