Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

21 to 40 of 1,420 messages
19/12/2011 at 10:15

I'm going to be using the RW Ultimate Marathon Schedule for Sub 4.30 as the basis for Craig's training plan. Although his half marathon time suggests he could run faster than this, I want to be a little cautious due to his limited experience of running (will still be under a year, even come marathon day...)

I will 'upgrade' the paces for the faster stuff, to ensure he's still getting a challenge, but volume wise it will be pretty much the same.  That'll enable all you other sub 4.30ers to see what Craig's doing and decide whether you, too, want to tweak the paces a little (up or down, depending on your previous race outcomes).

Right. Better get on with planning his programme. (No go yesterday I'm afraid Craig... had a housewarming party! )

19/12/2011 at 10:28
Hi seren,

Thanks

Sorry about the link, needs pasting into URL bar... Trying to get pics direct, but running Safari on Mac. Got to ask the techies how that's done.

I picked evolution 6. Seem really good at the mo. going to try them on a club run tonight and see how we go. Always nervous about shoe changes.

Was using Brookes adrenaline 11. Like them v much and not had any injuries or niggles. Seem to be better than than the Mizuno wave 10s I had before, which also gave out after 300 miles... But was couple or three stone heavier at the time.
seren nos    pirate
19/12/2011 at 10:31
evolution 6.not heard of those off to read
19/12/2011 at 16:27
Seren: the reviews seem quite good to be honest, so I'm really hopeful.

Hi Sam, really good to meet you on Saturday. Think I got a bit shy, which really isn't like me normally. Was still trying to process whats been going on.

Really looking forward to seeing the plan. Be good to have some proper focus for my training. Been a bit aimless for a couple of months and feeling my way through. Totally makes sense to me to be cautious, don't know how my body will react to the training load. Hope to print myself a copy and have it by the back door again so I know what I'm doing.

Hope you enjoyed the party, I had to go Christmas shopping with the family... Going to write off my Sunday afternoons for the foreseeable future. Roll on Boxing Day!
mcs
19/12/2011 at 16:32
Looking forward to seeing the schedule I am going to jump on here for a while and see how things work out. Caution is a good word though not one I use much but going to be sensible this year......hopefully. I am using a Hal Higdon one at the moment along with having read your mentors book so know the stuff just need to make it happen without getting injured. Seriously want 4.15 in 2012 and running Edinburgh..........
mcs
19/12/2011 at 16:36
I printed the 4.00 RW schedule out and feel I may push with that one as I have been doing over 30 miles for the last three months.  What kit did you get Craig? only one pair of trainers. They should be worn out by April..............hopefully you got more than one pair...............
19/12/2011 at 16:37
Craig, after talking on Saturday the plan sounds spot on, you can go quicker, but getting to the end is a true challenge first time, it's even more impressive if you manage it in one piece!  Can't wait for the training plans, still would anyone notice us slipping out for a crafty 20 miler this sunday?
19/12/2011 at 18:25
mcs wrote (see)
Looking forward to seeing the schedule I am going to jump on here for a while and see how things work out. Caution is a good word though not one I use much but going to be sensible this year......hopefully. I am using a Hal Higdon one at the moment along with having read your mentors book so know the stuff just need to make it happen without getting injured. Seriously want 4.15 in 2012 and running Edinburgh..........

MCS My best advice on exercising caution in terms of following the right plan is to err on the side of caution in terms of overall volume, but to adjust the 'quality training' paces to fit in with your own performances. For example, if 'brisk' on the schedule means 9 min per mile, but you've done a half marathon at 8.45, then go for that pace for those efforts.

It's too much volume that is often the killer in marathon training - but you can still include enough quality stuff to up your pace without overdoing it. Hope that makes sense!

19/12/2011 at 21:15
mcs: it's good to have you on here, be good for me to have someone clearly following g the same plan and feeding back. Going for the quality makes sense to me. Sam's book got me through my first half and really helped.

Only got one pair of shoes thus far. We're getting another kit drop at some point and the one pair was recommended. That drop should include race kit and summer gear. From Asics I picked up a couple of pairs of winter tights and moisture management tops. Been for my first run in them tonight and really, really good. Got a wind stopper jacket as well (bought one before bootcamp the same) again v good. Socks and a couple of tee shirts too. Recovery socks, gloves, hat and a decent bag too.

The cherry on top has been the Garmin 610. Been wearing it as a watch it's that discrete. Tried it on the run and seems v good. Going to look at the data in a bit on my Mac... No more wrapping my phone up in cling film and praying the rain won't get through...

Lee: got my figures crossed for you fella... I so agree. Going to go for the distance. Can then concentrate on speed over the summer. Already got a place on this years half that I did in October and want to be seriously quicker than last year, been trying to ignore that 2.5 minutes, but it is bugging me... Just a bit...
19/12/2011 at 21:30
Got to get used to posting with my phone.. Stop resubmitting the same form Craig.
Edited: 19/12/2011 at 21:33
20/12/2011 at 00:11
BoDuke wrote (see)
Got to get used to posting with my phone.. Stop resubmitting the same form Craig.

Have you still got clingfilm on it?

mcs
20/12/2011 at 15:48

Thanks Sam got the message loud and clear. Just done a running streak over the last 10 days but heading for a rest day or two now.  I have run a 1.49 half marathon on a flat course and did 1.50 at the Great North this year. I have done several halves in training around 1.53 so okay with that distance, feel confident about that..........its the second half of the marathon I am not so confident about. Look forward to seeing what your schedule consists of and would like a copy if thats possible or allowed.

Sounds like you are well equipped now, I have the old 205 garmin not discrete but it works once it gets started.  Might buy some Kayano's after Xmas if the ccard can stand it..............need some new trainers to see in the new program. All the best for the training..........I am looking forward to joining you on the journey, though mine will be about six weeks behind you..........you will have rocked a sub 4.30 by the time I head up to Scotland!!!

20/12/2011 at 19:58

Hey Craig, just wanted to wish you good luck in your quest (you're sorta like me three years ago), and share my top tip regarding schedules. Have your significant other get a sheet of gold stars and commission her to stick one on each completed run.

Undeniably silly, but might be worth a try.

Edited: 20/12/2011 at 19:58
20/12/2011 at 20:25
Hi Rennur, really appreciate the best wishes and all tips/suggestions etc are welcome. I like the idea of gold stars for completed runs... we are thinking about that very soon for my 17 month old... She doesn't share my running thing so hoping that the x-mas gift makes up for it...

How have you progressed over the last three years? Long term motivation is always helpful too. Not sure how I'm going to feel after this, could stick to shorter distances and improve speed, keep main goal at marathon or maybe consider going further... Wondering what other, more experienced people have found.

Colin: No more cling film for me. Or hoping that the insurance company would payout if it got damaged

mcs: The good thing about the phone was the maps were there to use right away. 1st time I've used a Garmin and looked at the data last night and sooooo good. Sure that I'll get information overload at some point, but so lucky and thankful to have it. Christmas has come early in the Douglas household this year. Tried the Kayanos on too in the store, felt REALLY good, but still not supportive enough for me. Am I right that you tried them at bootcamp? You looked very happy with one pair if I remember correctly... I can't wait to start proper training now, think Sam is tweaking the schedule at the moment so we'll 100% know what to expect soon.
mcs
21/12/2011 at 07:29
The Kayanos were the trainers I tried on I thought they were the top supportive ones for over pronators? I nearly kept them on but I don't think I would have got away with it. Which shoes did you get? Evolution did you say...off to google then plod to work with some fartlek stuff.
Last day for me!!
21/12/2011 at 08:20

yeyyy Craig!  Have just read somewhere that you're hoping to do Fleet!  We've just entered too so we'll be there to cheer you on!

Off home now for Christmas so won't get much computer time so have a good time, will look forward to catching up with how everything's going when I get back (hopefully with my new trainers too - was feeling a bit left out but then discovered the voucher Asics kindly gave us at BC).

21/12/2011 at 09:33

Craig, I might be a cautionary tale about getting hooked.

I started marathon training on a 3 run per week schedule (~25mpw), and have gradually marched (trudged?) up to my current 5 per (~40mpw). After 5 maras, I've come down to 3:15, and am hoping for 3:10 next.

My biggest challenge is avoiding overuse injury. I've half learned to back off on (or even miss) a scheduled run if I'm not feeling 100%.

Shorter distances are perfectly good goals. I've leaned toward marathons as I'm dreaming of ultras in the future.

21/12/2011 at 16:58
Hi Craig, I've only just found out that you got through. I'm really pleased that our boot camp group have got a representative after all. Good luck with the training - can't wait to get all the details.
21/12/2011 at 21:13
Sorry guys, just got back from work, thanks for your post!!! Wendsday are my late night and never get time to start posting. Got myself a running diary today, computerised records are all well and good, but I want to remember this. Sad sack that I am, keeping everything related to the project in the trainer box I got at the weekend. Yes: daddy did run marathons... Can't wait for plan or the report from BUPA... Also appears that I can use the forum fully cos I'm a mac user. RW are due to get to me after Christmas about this. Can post photos and proper links then...

mcs: I remember the smile you had. I thought they were too, but looks like these are now. Only been out for one run so far with them. Gonna keep the miles down to start with and rotate with my current adrenalines. I'm jealous of you lost day, in till Friday and off till 06/01. But my son has an operation on the third... Not really off...can't wait for the full schedule to come out and start training.

Sleepy: yea!!! I had to cancel Reading cos of the timing for Paris... But they have accepted that. Good not to waste a space. Have you done Fleet before? Not going to race it, but practice pace and fueling. Should have another one on 04/03 tempted with Birkensted or a the Lincolnshire poacher trail (but trail might be wrong)... Hope to see you there. Have a good Christmas mate.

Rennur: nice progression. I'm worried about potential injury (clearly as there is the pressure of this project) but hoping that Sam's mentorship will get me through the increase and teach me how to manage it. I have to admit to having A sub 4:00 at the back of my mind... Keep telling myself to see how I do with this and then consider my next step... First one will be to recover (without medical attention being needed ) Do want to try and crack a 1:45 at half in October. Maybe that will be goer???

Time: yea! One of group three made it. I really enjoyed the day. We had a really nice bunch. I'm over you lapping me now. Have to admit that stung a bit... I was really happy with my time though: 24:41... Don't think that's too shabby given how long I've been running. What half are you doing??(
22/12/2011 at 15:13

Hi Craig. Sorry about that lapping . It was your bright red top. I couldn't help myself.

Without the pressure of being in the forum five, I've decided to do my own thing in 2012: a couple of halves in Spring and the GNR and maybe a full marathon in the autumn. However, if you fancy doing the Newton's Fraction HM in Grantham on 11th March or the Leicester 10k on 1st April, it would be good to meet up and swap stories.

21 to 40 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.