Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

381 to 400 of 1,420 messages
29/01/2012 at 21:33
Bo - enjoy the 10 weeks (each day of it) cos it will fly by - remember to enjoy the journey as well as the destination - feeling philosophical at the moment (must be the red wine !!)
29/01/2012 at 21:42

Yep - Sam - I'd be more than happy with that time too - only ever run one 10 miler - they never seem to pop up when you need one! It's a really nice distance I think, wish there were more of them. But then I'm always wishing someone would sit down and even out the races on offer across the year - mostly just seem to be a paint gun spatter of distances on offer.

Craig - glad you enjoyed your wee jaunt. What happened at the track to cause the little outburst above?  Did they make you run lots of laps? I think the 5k we did at BC was just about bearable but I wouldn't have wanted to do much further...

My 9.5 miler turned into a 10.8 today with a very sneaky long and twisty hill (lots of wishful 'it must flatten out round this bend' type statements made).   Very much at chatty pace (except on above mentioned hill).  Gonna do it again next week and see if we can find the road we should have taken to make it 9.5 as planned LOL

Oh and what happened to Rosie - how long was she 'lost'  for?  Don't worry about her being cold - bet she's got a 'chick' incubator at work that she could hop in to warm up

Happy cycling tomorrow - be safe - be seen! 

29/01/2012 at 22:07
Oscarr: I'm totally loving it!! Hummmm red wine, being good and only had a glass of white with chicken.

SB: it was a period of running at MP round the track. Think might have sounded like an outburst 'cos I've found something about running that I don't like and that's as enjoyable as everything else (sounds wrong I know) but I'm very much in the honeymoon period, so lapping up self-knowledge. Didn't lose Rosie, but we went off at different paces and there was a confusing bit. Planning was bang on, we all got back to the meet point at the right time. Quality. Might have been quite 'parky' out... I was so damn cold
30/01/2012 at 10:22
Craig, the thing I like about tracks is they are very social places and you can see how other people are running and you were running really well, it will be interesting to see how you continue to progress as you look so much stronger in a few short weeks.  It was sooo cold
30/01/2012 at 11:21

Sam and all her chicks - sounds like a great day on Saturday so well done and seems all 5 are either on or ahead of where they should be at this stage which is great news.  A little surprised by comments that there was not more time for Sam to chat with each one which must have been an important part of the day - feedback, areas to work on, mods to future schedules etc. 

Did the physio add any other stretches or exercises to the routines?  Did Ruth add any more nutrition nuggets?

30/01/2012 at 13:18

Great to see you Saturday. You were looking really relaxed on the track those last 20mins. Was amazed when you told me you hadn't run that far very often before. Really looking forward to seeing how things go for you in Paris as your prep looks to be going really well.

SB - me, lost? That doesn't count as lost.  There were concerns even before we started that I'd end up in Manchester and I was given various helpful tips, but I think I managed to stay in the greater Birmingham area. Sortof. All good anyway. Sam was carrying sports drinks in her rucksac so I think my sports drinks homing instinct must have set in and kept me (vaguely) on course!

30/01/2012 at 18:12
When is a half marathon pace not a half marathon pace?

While on my training run today this question occurred to me, and I'm hoping Sam or someone can provide an answer.

In the Garmin training schedules, the threshold pace for a 4:30 marathon (according to the pace calculator) is given as 9:54, and it states this is around the Half-Marathon pace. This adds up to a half marathon time of 2:09:41. However, the schedule also says "you should eventually be capable of a sub-2:00 half-marathon (9:00 per mile)".

So, shouldn't I be training threshold at 9:00 pace, rather than 9:54? After all, it's near a minute different.

I'm a bit confused, although admittedly I'm easily confused.

30/01/2012 at 18:24
Lee: I hadn't thought of that with tracks to be honest. Might have been one of those Pavlovian reactions... Half expecting my PE teacher to start shouting at me for wearing combat boots, cutoff shorts and band t-shirts.... Was good for me to see you guys running too to get an idea of efficant form and all that. Thanks for the comment about strength by the way, really appriciate it!

oscarr: was a bit pushed timewise, went really quickly again like Bootcamp. However, did pick up a new stretch for my lower back and glutes. The other one wasn't hitting the right places, lower leg and not back. Sam was able to offer pointers on form, I drop my head and look at the ground, so encouraging me to keep head up and look further forward. Also swinging from elbows and loosening my shoulders up rather than being tense.... Ruth was also encouraging me to eat a proper breakfast and eat snacks through the day, inc cutting down salt and pork related products.

Rosie: thank you! Think we are all doing well for Paris.... What a journey this is!
mcs
30/01/2012 at 18:28
I'll let Sam answer that one my tea is nearly ready, chicken curry yum always starving on Monday's after longer runs Sunday and busy Monday! Ran back from work at my half marathon pace of 8.09....8.25......8.30.........well my half mara pace is around 8 to 8.30. As my pb is 1.49. So I guess if i ran a lot quicker or slower that wouldn't be half mara pace. Sorry got sucked in there......time to eat.
Nice running Craig sounds like you had fun and Asics are working you hard with videos and pics etc......keep going.
31/01/2012 at 10:58

Sounds like a great day last Saturday BoDuke. I was ill at the start of last week but back on track now. Dod a 10km race at the weekend. Chernobyl 10km and got a PB of 46.45 so very happy. Treated myself to a sports massage on Monday.

Ouch.

Apparently it helps though!

Good luck with training everyone.

Now I really must book the London hotel!

31/01/2012 at 18:28
Tenjiso wrote (see)
When is a half marathon pace not a half marathon pace? While on my training run today this question occurred to me, and I'm hoping Sam or someone can provide an answer. In the Garmin training schedules, the threshold pace for a 4:30 marathon (according to the pace calculator) is given as 9:54, and it states this is around the Half-Marathon pace. This adds up to a half marathon time of 2:09:41. However, the schedule also says "you should eventually be capable of a sub-2:00 half-marathon (9:00 per mile)". So, shouldn't I be training threshold at 9:00 pace, rather than 9:54? After all, it's near a minute different. I'm a bit confused, although admittedly I'm easily confused.

Hi Tenjiso

The pace guidelines are always going to be a bit arbitary. To get a more accurate idea of your own threshold pace, I recommend working out your current best 10k pace per mile and then adding between 5-15 seconds per mile on to that. (The closer your 10k is to an hour, the less you should add on. The faster you are, the more you add on).  For most non-elite runners, half marathon pace will not be as quick as threshold pace. Does that help? I know you are easily confused...

Kevster - great PB - well done on that!

Craig - glad the honeymoon phase continues! Hope you enjoy/enjoyed the fartlek today. It sounds as if the ground will be quite solid (ie. frozen!) on the weekend, so at least you won't be slipping around in road shoes. But might be worth trying some trail shoes if you're going to be doing enough off-road running to justify it. I often wear trail shoes on mixed runs - they can handle a reasonable amount of road and like the feel of them when I'm on grass/gravel/mud etc.
Very excited to have got the Garmin 610 on Saturday! It's very smart, huh? My old 405 had seen better days. I'm gradually figuring out the touchscreen now

31/01/2012 at 19:56
Sam - that's brilliant thanks. I can just about cope with that

How on earth did you know that I'm non-elite?
31/01/2012 at 20:06
Hi guys.

Hows everyone doing?

Good running mcs. How up enjoyed your curry. It's Tuesday. So homemade chicken kebab with potato wedges and mushrooms for me. I'm starving too after today's run. Know it's not the same as running but now biking to the train station and back only two miles each way, but gets the heart rate up. Had my HRM on yesterday and maxed out at 159 bpm...

Kevster: good pb! Yep, ouch! Still a bit tender where got a beating, but no issues with the tendon and been stretching my lower back and glutes.... Open plan office does get you questionable looks though...

Sam: thanks for answering Ten's question. Sparked the question for me too, but with HR and the BUPA thing I had an idea based on HR... Should try it with pace... I sense an experinment coming on (post marathon though ) Liking the fartleck session, very different to structured intervals... Did a load of run like hell between dog poo bins, trees and big puddles then bit of a jog...

1 11:29.7 1.00 11:30
2 7:51.7 1.00 7:52
3 8:36.2 1.00 8:36
4 7:54.4 1.00 7:54
5 11:11.7 1.00 11:12
6 :02.7 0.00 10:20

Might have been a bit pacey but the graph is very up and down....

Think I'll have a look at trail shoes tomorrow, but might wear my casual (non Asics brand trail shoes...) I'm loving my 610. Easy and natural to use, have to admit to using it as a watch too, better looking than my Timex.
31/01/2012 at 20:07
Tenjico: lol!

;-)
mcs
31/01/2012 at 21:38
I need a 610 my old 205 takes ages to catch a satellite!! Envy envy. Omelette with mushrooms and spuds with peas,lentils,beans and red onion mixed in. Fruit cake for afters...........glad I run.
Just read your article Sam, very good.......I write a diary everyday which includes running along with other work n family stuff must be a story in there somewhere! Must be hard work coming up with a new story every month.
01/02/2012 at 06:15

BoD - sounds like trianing is going well!

I am finding training and motivation difficult at the moment but haven't given up...yet!

01/02/2012 at 10:17
Bo the fartlek thing is harder than it sounds isn't it?
I did a fartlek session yesterday but it is hard to know how hard to push yourself and for how long.
I guess the solution is not worry too much and keep varying the pace
01/02/2012 at 10:43

Hi Kevster, if you scroll back through this thread, you'll find my advice on how to do fartlek if you're new to it - gave a couple of suggested sessions - you might find it helpful.

Craig - sounds like you had fun with your debut fartlek!
I'll sort out what's happening at the next training day and can then see what to do about that half marathon in week 10. Can you remind if you have another half booked in (is it week13?) How juggle-able are things for you over that period?

01/02/2012 at 11:05
Hi Sam,

I've got a place in Fleet on 26/03/12, which is week 13.

Really enjoyed the session! Very playful and would be even better with someone else to do it with! Maybe I can find someone to do them with and do an evening run, can't see many takers for 5am....

Thanks for having a look, appriciate it.
01/02/2012 at 16:54

I'm happy with Fleet's timing - 3 weeks out. Your last very long long run will be 4 weeks out, so 3 weeks out gives a chance to practise mara pace in race conditions (though not necessarily all the way.)

The other one - week 10 would have been OK if it weren't for training day. A bit dubious about us putting you through your paces on the Sat and then you racing on Sunday - bit too much overload!
Is there any chance of finding something in week 9 - there's Roding Valley in Essex, or you could do Tunbridge Wells with Emma (though appreciate it's a bit of a trek!) If not, don't fret... just let me know. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.