Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

61 to 80 of 1,420 messages
27/12/2011 at 20:28
Congratulations on making into the team Craig. I'll be following your thread, along with Emma, since you are both targeting times around my goal [4:20 - 4:30].

Have you been given any nutrition guidelines yet, or does that get covered nearer to the marathon?
27/12/2011 at 21:53
Hi Kevin, all the folks on this programme are doing Paris in 15/04/12, so think that's the week before London. Was 16 weeks to go last Sunday. Good to have you on board, means you get the feedback and stuff a week before, which could help your planning. If you've got any questions on anything, just ask and I'm sure someone will chip in.

Tenjiso: thanks very much. Really grateful to have been voted for and picked. What a way to go for a first marathon. Good to have you with us (sure Emma will echo that). Did I read somewhere you are running Paris too? Or am I getting scatty again? We've not had any direct advice as yet, but thinking some should come at the session we have on 28/01 in Birmingham. Sam knows I use gels on my long runs because I can't stomach full sugar sports drinks, make me feel dodgy, where gels are in quick and washed down with water. Will update once we've had full advice.
27/12/2011 at 22:15
Oh, training today went well. Stuck to the pace guidelines and was out in the proper countyside (spent to day with my mother and sister in law). Steady hill climb on the way out and easy down hill on way back. I say hill, slight incline might be a better description...

Acceliration strides were brilliant! Loving the pace, effort and self-control required to do them. Great to have the feeling of my legs properly kicking back and pushing me along in short controlled bursts. Did start to feel like my legs were circling under me.

Has anyone else done them yet???

Thanks for that Sam!
28/12/2011 at 09:53
I'm running the Milton Keynes marathon, which is two weeks after Paris.

Which Gels do you use? I've used the Lucozade ones, but have gone right off them even though I can stomach them. I want to try something different during my training, but have no idea which to go for.

28/12/2011 at 16:02

Hi

Just had a read of this and finding it really interesting. I am doing Sussex on 1st April - will be my first ever marathon. Target - to get round, will probably be about 6 hours.

Have made a mental note to try acceleration strides!

29/12/2011 at 00:26
Tenjico: remembered that now. Entered that before I tried to get on this thing and the tee-shirt arrived the Monday after I was accepted... Think MK is going to be a great day, seems to be loads of support for it from the community for it. I've been quite lucky in my local triathlon store has been great with offering samples. Bought a box of 20 high 5 gels with caffeine, which are great (if not a bit jittery). Currently trying accel gel 4:1 (carb to protien) with and without caffeine, have to say that I prefer them overall and trying to establish flavour and then stick... Got samples of gu roctane to try. Will let you know how they work. (You might need to remind me once the planned runs get past 10+ though, was being honest when I said I was scatty)...

Hi mathschick, how are you? Thanks for the smoking support! Good to have you with us and hope it gets more interesting as we progress. Think there is something about the word 'marathon' that make all of us who haven't run one think: how and (more honestly why???. Personally, I've been worried about the distance and time and my legs falling off and all the rest of it, but we can and will with motivation and support. Now itching to beat it...

Let us me know how you get on with the strides!
29/12/2011 at 11:31
Let me know if you find a gel that can be swallowed without needing water. I think I read that some SIS gels were like that, but now I can't find where I read it.

I'm hoping to be able to run the marathon carrying only gels.

I like using Nuun tablets, but it seems that loads of races are using cups instead of bottles, so it's not practical to mix a drink in a cup on the run.

O.T. - Have you read Allen Carr's "easyway to stop smoking" book? I've never smoked, but I read his book about quitting drinking and stopped drinking alcohol five years ago, so I am a fan of his technique.
Edited: 29/12/2011 at 11:33
29/12/2011 at 13:46
Hello Craig - Iam loking forward to following your progress on this thread. I am following Emma too! My aim for VLM 2012 is sub 5, but I am trying a mixture of schedules at about 4.30-4.40. Good luck!
29/12/2011 at 13:47
Meant to say,Ii use SIS Go gels, you don't need water to take them.
29/12/2011 at 14:00
Thanks MWW - I'll try to get some soon.
29/12/2011 at 14:15
Thanks MWW. Emma is a really good egg. Makes sense to mix and match to what suits you best. Good luck to you too! Hope you enjoy the build up.

Ive tired the SIS gels too. Think I picked a load up from Tesco... Also Waitrose do them too on a 3 for 2 offer.

Just had a massive lunch with the family. Going to kip and then go for my run this evening for once.
30/12/2011 at 11:03

Hey Craig, good to read your progress so far. 'Fraid I got the dreaded tummy bug going round (Emma's had it too, poor thing) and have been lying in bed even more than I usually do over Christmas

Really glad you like the acceleration strides. They are a great way of 'waking up' your legs at the end of an easy run - stop you getting into that plodding mentality. They are also a good thing to do at the end of a jog warm-up before a race.

Gel-wise, agree it's good to have the option to take without water, but bear in mind you will be needing to take water on board regularly throughout the race. No need to carry water in the race itself, I'd say - there are enough water stops to just carry gels.

So, here's the next week's training schedule:

Week Two w/c 2/1/12 (22M)
Mon Rest
Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or approx 13 mins) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recovery, then 1M jog
Wed Rest
Thu 1M jog, then 2M (or approx 18 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
Fri 4M slow plus 4 x acceleration strides
Sat
Sun 9M (100 mins) easy (ideally on road)

Let me know if any questions/comments - and how you get on!

30/12/2011 at 13:15
Thanks again Sam. That settles it for me - I'm going to order some SIS Go Gels to try out in training.
mcs
30/12/2011 at 15:23
Eight miles in sixty nine mins in lashing rain and felt too good. Don't you love a run when it goes well!
30/12/2011 at 15:45

mcs - there is something wonderful about running in horrible weather that makes you feel so good!! I think the fact that non-runners are so horrified that I would choose to go out in such weather makes it even more special!

mcs
30/12/2011 at 16:04
Agreed love rain to run in, bit worried come may there might be hot sunshine as my marathon is Edinburgh may 27th but it is Scotland so should be okay!
30/12/2011 at 16:28
MCS - I can't remember which Edingburgh marathon it was (2010 I think, but may have been this year), but it was baking hot and people were collapsing with heat stroke. Don't automatically assume it will be cool weather in Scotland

By the way - sorry you didn't get an Asics team place. I was going to be following your progress because you are similar age to me.
30/12/2011 at 18:58

I like the Gu gels (not by the pudding company) - I've tended to get them on line. I like the coffee and chocolate flavours. I don't tent to use gels in training until I know I'm going to be out for over two hours.

That said - it is a really good idea to practice to see what suits you so you don't end up all sickly on the day.

I thought it was gels giving me an upset tummy but now think it is just the friction in my gut - charming! So plan not to have wheat or fruit in days before a long run or a race and I should get shares in immodium!

Tummy still sore and I keep wanting to drop off. Going to drop hubby at the pub, lock the boys in their room, do a smidge of ironing and try to get to bed really early - hopefully then I shall feel better tomorrow!

Keep up the good work Craig! I've got my first long run tomorrow - luckily it needs to only be a slow run. Tempo will have to pick up a little next week though!

Let me know how you get on with your 9 miler. I recommend a drink of milk when you finish as I can't stand the recovery drinks. Are you doing Watford?

30/12/2011 at 18:58
Just caught 'Spider man' throwing bread rolls at his brother - marvellous!
30/12/2011 at 19:37

Hey Craig, sounds like a great start to your schedule, keep it going. 

Re Gels - I started with the Lucozade orange ones but found I got sickness feeling after 2 of them - switched to the SIS GO ones mentioned by others and have found them great; I decanted 3 into a small hand bottle (25cl) and carried that on the run since they are fluid enough to flow and not need water.  You must try things out in training and fix on a system and product that suits you personally - don't try anything new on race day !

61 to 80 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.