Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

81 to 100 of 1,420 messages
mcs
30/12/2011 at 20:12
Sis for me suit me the best too, try them....
30/12/2011 at 22:09
I've ordered some SIS Go Gels - blackcurrent flavour. Only half-a-dozen to start with. I'll order more (and probably one of the SIS gel belts too) if I get on well with the sample.

How many of these gels do you guys use in a marathon? The blurb on the SIS site says one gel every 20-30 minutes, but that sounds a bit excessive. I took one lucozade gel per hour (approx 6 miles) in my previous marathon. Are SIS gels weaker?
31/12/2011 at 08:02
SIS are a little bit bigger but have a similar carbohydrate content which is the thing to look for.  I use 3 gels and about 15 jelly babies on a marathon but i see lots of folk taking a lot more gels.  I would take more but don't want to risk getting sick.  Each individual needs to find out what is comfortable by trying things in training.  The orange ones taste OK.
31/12/2011 at 08:43
Sorry about the time to reply folks, my Internet wasn't working and for the first time ever I've used my data allowance.... OH works in IT: turn it off and on again (I kid you not...)

Sam: thanks for week two. Did the strides again yesterday and have to agree, great way to wake up the legs. Looking forward to some fast repeats, let's see if I've set the Garmin up right to do that. They bossy things...

Sorry to hear about the tummy bug guys. Had one a few weeks ago, so clearly remember how much it sucks.... Got a place in the Birkhamsted half in early March, got a couple of club league races before that. Should be about 5 miles or so. These are going to be my first.

Tenjino: funny you should get the black current, I've got a sample ready to go tomorrow. The packages are quite big, but can get 2/3 in the back pocket of my leg wear. I've found that on LSR one every 4/5 mile works for me (but that's largely determined by where the bins are). Very sticky theses things. I'm admitting something a bit strange here: I don't mind being sweaty, dirty, out of breath, in pain, tired or a bit lonely... But sticky??? I just and to go home and wash.. How odd is that??? Seriously, it's so bad I have to have a full on face and hand wash after eating ribs.

Oscarr: thanks mate. Looking forward to next week, going to be good. First LSR of the programme tomorrow. Nice easy 8.

Happy New Year guys. To quote someone else: 'May these be the worst of times'. Quite like that.
31/12/2011 at 10:50

I didn't realise you were one of the Asics 6 now I understand what you ment about a public arena

Doh!

Twinkle

31/12/2011 at 11:29
Thanks to a seriously fast ebayer, I ordered six SIS gels yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning. I will try one out during my run later today. I don't really need one as it's only eight miles, but I'll take one at about 5 miles for practice.

The gels are quite a bit bigger than the lucozade ones, probably due to the extra water content. Comparing the carb content:

Lucozade - 45g pack has 30g
SIS Go - 60ml pack has 22g

Unscientifically, it looks to me like I might need one or two more SIS gels during the course of a marathon than lucozade (based on 4x30g=120g and 5 x 22g = 110g). I'm an expert at pseudo-science

Oscarr - I like jelly babies, but can't imagine eating fifteen on the run. For some reason I find them a real chore to eat while running, but no problem while slouching in front of the TV.
31/12/2011 at 12:19

Hello all

BoD-well done on the strides..never sure how to do them myself!

Tenjiso - I take one SIS gel after an hour and then one every 40-45 mins ish. I was tkaing them every 30 as recommended but found this too much!

Well, managed 10 miles this morning, felt more like 20 and walked a bit during the last three miles. Can't believe I have evey run 26.2!

Hope you all have a good NYE

31/12/2011 at 14:37
Tenjico: you've got to let me know who that seller was. That's an amazing lead time. I generally take one before going out and then stagger through my run.

Oscarr: I done like Jelly Baby's, but gummy bears on the other hand..... totally agree about them being dry individual. I struggle to eat after runs, so recovery shakes are a god send to me, but I understand some people can abide them. Think iit also has something to do with me having used whey protien in the past to bulk up... Horses for courses and all that.

Hi Twinkle! How are you??? Thanks for coming over. Yea, they picked me, no pressure then...

MWW: bet it goes better next time! The hard bit in them is keeping up with the counting (IMHO). Have to remember to change pace at eight and not eighty...
31/12/2011 at 17:15
Craig, I tried to PM you but couldn't. I'm not sure if forum rules allow posting ebay details, so if the following is a breach someone can let me know and I'll edit it back out. Anyway, the item number was 330536919618, so if you search on ebay for that you should find the seller. It was £6 for 6 gels including delivery, which I thought was reasonable. The fast delivery was a bonus.

As for the gel itself....

I took one today at five miles into an eight mile easy run. It was easy to swallow and the taste was not overpowering. The packet didn't open cleanly on the run, which resulted in the packet getting a small coating of contents and getting sticky. I agree with Craig that sticky hands are not very pleasant. Maybe I just need more practice, though.

More importantly, about half a mile after taking the gel I noticed a small but sharp pain in the pit of my stomach. Nothing dramatic, on a scale of ten this was about a three. This lasted for around 1.5 miles. Possibly complete coincidence, but something I'll be wary of next time I try them.

31/12/2011 at 17:51
Thanks Tenjiso, not sure what the rules are. I should look them up really (considering I'm doing this). Thanks for having a go though, looks like a good price with delivery. PM thing might be a bit temperamental with me...

I'm going to try one tomorrow on my LSR and see how I go. The pain thing is a concern might only be a three, but still. All about trying things out.

Right, put the small person to bed in a bit and spend the evening indulging in some fizzy wine. Have a good evening and 2012 folks.
01/01/2012 at 07:53

Happy new year everyone

01/01/2012 at 11:54

I used to use the SiS gels and carried them in an armband but after an incident at Paris last year when the strap came undone when I was jostled in a crowd I went over to a small bum bag instead.

I've almost stopped using the gels now and gone over to Shotbloks which contain some electrolytes as well as carbs.  Not too hard to chew on and I only use 2 packs plus a caffeine gel for a marathon rather than carrying 5 gels.

As I know what my stomach is happy with I don't actually use gels/Bloks on training runs due to the cost implications.  I use jelly babies instead although I have some dates here that will need to be used up too!

01/01/2012 at 12:23
Thanks USB, I've never heard of Shotbloks. A bit of research to do there.

Happy New Year everybody!
01/01/2012 at 12:36
Happy new year everyone
01/01/2012 at 15:29
Hi Guys.

Well first (mostly off road) LSR of the programme done. 8 miles at a pace I could do all day. Ignored the Garmin and went on PE and heart rate averaged at around 130bpm. After a quick drink felt like I could have done it again.

I might try them too Bridget, thanks for the tip. And on the bumbag too, got one at bootcamp, which is handy...
DT2
01/01/2012 at 16:11

Happy new years people, 2012....its the big one!

had a couple of runs around Pboro over Christmas mate, half expected to bump into you pounding the pavements!

Gels:ive tried loads of different mixes/types over the years, SIS are by far my favourite. I usually take 1 for every 30mins or so of racing, 4 plus plain water gets me through a marathon just about right. you can also buy the SIS gel belts to carry them around so the gels sit within easy reach on either side of your hips, a little trick ive learned is to carry the last 2 one in each hand to help keep your hands/arms nice and loose in the later stages when youve got the likelyhood of tensing up/loosing form. Oh, and waitrose currently have them at about £1.50 each buy 2 get 1 free, bargain!

ill be following your progress with interest mate!

01/01/2012 at 16:40

Bo - I have a little Asics belt with a small pocket I use for short runs to hold front door key, tissues and iPod.  For longer runs when I want to carry sweeties and maybe my phone I use the bum bag and carry a donut bottle.  Once I need more water than that or in the summer months I use my Camelbak as options to refill a water bottle are few and far between.

01/01/2012 at 16:53

Will be interesting to see how you get on with the gels - I gave up on them due to the messy/sticky factor and just carry a jelly baby for every mile now - I'm sad enough to get a kick out of rewarding myself for every mile!  I gave one away last year in a hilly half I ran - to a guy who looked like he was having a rough patch and I didn't really struggle without it. Plus his appreciative smile made it worth it!

Remind me - how many calories are in a gel? If you're taking one every half hour that's 3-4 jelly babies in my world  at roughly 60 - 80 calories (20 each)  + sports drink.  Hmmm maybe I should have 2 per mile - now there's a thought. Suppose that's when gels start to take up less space to carry! Still - they disappear the further you go.

Any nutrition advice -  how many calories should you ideally be replacing (over and above using your body's reserves) as you go along?

Intrigue Intrigue......

Happy New Year to you and yours too

mcs
01/01/2012 at 19:32
Gels every five or six miles in a race for me but don't use them in training till up to 12 miles or more as expensive.......jelly babies I had a few on the Great North this year for the last four miles like sleepy bear as a reward at the mile markers.....9, 10, 11 etc....
I hate being sticky and find the sis gels can go every where, sprayed my face with one in training once trying to keep running! All the best for training Craig....
01/01/2012 at 19:52
Sleepy Bear - I have 5 jelly babies at 5 miles on a long run and then 5 every 4 miles thereafter so essentially 1 a mile
81 to 100 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.