Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

101 to 120 of 1,420 messages
02/01/2012 at 13:13

USB - interesting approach! I have no will power for sweeties so not sure I'd be able to wait that long! 

mcs - I know what you mean - maybe I'll start taking out a mixture - a gel for emergencies and JBs as standard!

Just remembered snack size mars bars - had one at mile 20 and it was a nice change! Jelly babies always taste so much better when you need them most don't you think? (Even the red ones which I don't really like ordinarily!)

How are your legs today BoD - still feeling invincible? x

02/01/2012 at 14:24
Hi Guys.

DT2: I was out round the borough mate, just South of the river... Where cabs won't go... Have a good time? Thanks for the advice on the gels. Saw the SIS in waitrose too, also got three tubs of recovery shake for £16!!! Love them, yummy. Remind me to take some leave from work over the Olympics... 2012 gonna be quality...

mcs: thanks for the support too fella. I've had that happen to me too and really put me off till I could wash it off. Just be easier to be able to take sports drinks... Typical...

Sleepy: the legs feel great. Now sure how they will be tomorrow with 1.5 mile fast repeats though... Gonna regret that statement in the afternoon when I can hardly stay awake... how are you doing?? Mars bars, interesting... Got a box of Lindor for christmas, how about them for mile treats??? Could I justify that???

Just to let you guys know that I'm gonna be off the forums for a couple of days. My nipper is in hospital tomorrow... Gonna be a bit stressed and attention elsewhere. Still running though. Talk to you all in a bit. Really enjoying this BTW, ta all.
mcs
02/01/2012 at 15:44
All the best craig.......
02/01/2012 at 17:24

Hope all goes well with the little 'un.  Fingers and toes crossed!

We'll be here when you get back...

02/01/2012 at 17:26

p.s - I'm doing good thanks - have 2 cross countries in 6 days so taking it easy in between.

02/01/2012 at 17:51
Hope all goes well for the tot. Best wishes.
02/01/2012 at 18:29

Hi Craig - Hope it all goes smoothly with your littlun.

Everyone - some thoughts on gels/carbs on the run!

Here's the science bit - you need between 30-60g of carbohydrate per hour during long runs/races. What does that equal in terms of sports drinks/gels?
To work it out, you need to know the carb content of your chosen source - they vary quite widely. But in general, it's the equivalent of one to two 500ml bottles of Gatorade/Lucozade or 1.5 to 3 gels per hour or, for the JB fans, 6-12 jelly babies per hour! I recommend starting at the LOWER end of this range to avoid gastro distress, whether it's drinks or gels or food.

Calorie-wise, 30-60g of carbs is equal to 120-240 calories per hour - that's why it's easier to stick to things that don't contain other nutrients like chocolate (!) that give you calories without carbs. Electrolytes don't contain any calories (or negligible amounts, anyway)

Personally, I stick to sports drinks as they provide me with fluid, carbs and electrolytes in one hit and it also means I don't have to carry gels.  That said, I am quite partial to the odd jelly baby

02/01/2012 at 18:37
Hope it goes well for your little one, take care.
02/01/2012 at 18:47
That's good information Sam, thanks. You lost me a bit with your last statement, though. You say you prefer sports drinks to gels so that you don't have to carry gels, but how do you carry the drink? In a 4.5 hour marathon, I would have to carry up to 4.5 litres of sports drink? I think I must be misunderstanding something.
02/01/2012 at 20:07
Tenjiso wrote (see)
That's good information Sam, thanks. You lost me a bit with your last statement, though. You say you prefer sports drinks to gels so that you don't have to carry gels, but how do you carry the drink? In a 4.5 hour marathon, I would have to carry up to 4.5 litres of sports drink? I think I must be misunderstanding something.

Yes, a misunderstanding! Just that in majority of marathons, sports drinks are available at the drinks stations en route so no need to carry them. But it's a good idea to find out what drink they will have, so you can try it out first and check it sits OK with you.
02/01/2012 at 20:55

Hi Craig, hiope it goes well in hospital for your kid, fingers crossed for you all.

Hi Sam, hope you had a good Xmas break. Do you know what sports drink they hand out in Paris - and do they also hand out gels?

02/01/2012 at 21:10

Hi Colin, yes thanks - now I'm over the dreaded bug! Hope you did too.

I believe Powerade is a sponsor so suspect the sports drink on offer will be that. And not sure about gels. Have tweeted this so will see what replies come back. Hope training has started off well.

02/01/2012 at 21:42
Hi Sam - thanks for the clarification!
02/01/2012 at 23:08

Definitely Powerade in previous years.  Also water and pieces of fruit which can make the surface dodgy round the feed stations.

There is also a patch towards the end where other French marathons promote themselves with items such as cider and wine

02/01/2012 at 23:10
I appreciate the feedback Sam. I've just checked my marathon (Milton Keynes) and they have three Lucozade Sport stations en-route in addition to the water stations. I'm also glad to see they are handing out bottles of drinks rather than cups. So it seems I won't have to carry around 4.5 litres of sports drink
03/01/2012 at 10:52
Tenjiso: You could still carry it in training though... it'll be like resistance training and think how light and free you'll feel come race day!
03/01/2012 at 11:49
Hi guys,

Waiting to go to te hospital at the moment... Stress... Got a call saying they didn't know if they had a bed, but they have...

Did however do the repeats this morning. Ended up doing 5.5 in total and not 5 because I set my Garmin up wrong by not noting the recovery bits in Training Centre... Doh... Maintained 8:20 the first 1.5 and then 8:10 on the second. I've not run in full on in the face, eye watering, painful and scary wind before. Found my gait changed completely, toes down and pushing into it. Gonna feel that in my legs later... Reminded me of doing heavy weighted squats on my toes: lush!

Just finished Born to Run. How good is that book??? Makes me want to find a bit old hill to run up. Suppose that hump back bridge is gonna have to do then.

Colin: thanks mate! Stressing now...

Sam: glad to hear your better. Bugs over Christmas period, nightmare.

Bridget: would that be the Medoc marathon??? Could be tempted with that one... Wouldn't expect to finish it though...

Tenjiso: I remember as a kid there was a fella around where I lived who used to run around carrying bumbells in each hand. He was massive and damn scary... But always said hello, which was nice.
03/01/2012 at 13:37
craig - hope your kid is ok and the say isn't too stressful
mcs
03/01/2012 at 15:09

Hi Craig, hope you are doing okay despite wind, rain and hospitals? Where is your schedule is it on here anywhere? Sorry if I have missed it...........is it the RW 4.30 with adjustments? Just printed some off from this site and wanted to compare ready for when we start seriously at the end of January. At the moment on a Hal Higdon one but not much detail on that. My son in law wants one for the fridge!! My wife and daughters want one for their half marathon and guess who sorts it all, I need to get myself a training fee invoiced.

mcs
03/01/2012 at 15:14
Forget that last mail Craig found it two pages back sorry going blind!!!
101 to 120 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.