Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

1,321 to 1,340 of 1,420 messages
21/04/2012 at 18:38
Wondering if Olbas would revive me sufficiently!
21/04/2012 at 20:04
Easy people, enjoy the moment. Before you know it this is goog to be over... Can't wait till tomorrow and seeing all that work coming into effect!
21/04/2012 at 20:08
Fantastic blog Craig and cheers for everyone who's posted. I got an email from Runners World this afternoon, followed the link to the video, and then was caught by Craig's blog.
I've spent the past 4.5 hours reading 1321 posts
My situation - similar to Craig's initial starting point, been doing running for a few months, still carrying about 10kg too much weight. Have posted a 5k time of 25mins at a Reading parkrun, ran in the Reading Half marathon (2hrs 7m - 1st half in about 58mins, 2nd half - was walking towards the end).
I'm very determined to do better, to get fitter, to pace my runs better and to train smarter. This blog has been a great read to show how it should be done - by experts and experienced runners.
I have to try to avoid trying to run flat out in every run I do and to let injuries recover.
I'm hoping for a 4hr 1st marathon attempt in October at Chester, and have entered a half marathon in July (Windsor) and thanks to this blog I have a much clearer idea of the road ahead.
May I ask - is this going to continue to show Craig's journey - I would love to know more. And finally - big congratulations to Craig
21/04/2012 at 20:12
EmmaC wrote (see)
I can't see the other buds on the website - did anyone spelled them? Is it possible?

I don't think I wrote that - not sure I understand it either - very odd?!

mcs
21/04/2012 at 21:07
Are you drinking Emma? You are a teacher aren't you!
Can't move legs seized up even after cold shower treatement and a huge paella made by great no2 daughter. Huge hills this afternoon and 18 miles up and down off road on the Edges of Derbyshire above Chatsworth, time for bed! Least Can watch the marathon in the morning.
21/04/2012 at 21:15

Emma LOL

McBonkers - hahahahahah - brilliant - perfect name for our Rosiekins!

Bo - question about clubs - why would it be wrong?  Makes sense to us - no point belonging to a club if you never get to see your club mates but saying that there are plenty of people out there who don't go to training but that you bump into at races.  I can understand that you'd enjoy the social side of it all though - not sure why I get that impression...   I'm sure they'd understand!

*waves to Anthony* - that's the million dollar question at the moment - seems we're all agreed on keeping a thread going but can't seem to decide on its renaming - we'll get there!  Sounds like you're progressing brilliantly - welcome on board the everyone-can-still-learn-something train!

21/04/2012 at 23:18

mcs - I did have a glass of wine but didn't enjoy it - a sad teetotaler it looks like now - apart from champagne at the end of races!

Genuinely don't understand my alleged earlier post! Yeas mcs I am a teacher for my sins - work is mad at the moment. Roll on all coursework being signed off!

Name ... mmmm... ' the road from Paris', Aurevoir Paris - what happemed next' mmmm brain dead now!

22/04/2012 at 16:39
Congratulations to the VLM first timers!!! So proud of you all!!! Thank you for letting me and others share your journeys...

Anthony: thanks for the comments and catching up. Congratulations on your progress, isn't it amazing how good it can make you feel? We are going to start another thread at some point becuase there are a number of conversations going on. Well done and what did you think of the video??? My advice is follow a plan, ask on here for help if you need it and continue to enjoy running. It's why we do it.

Might go for 6 slow tomorrow and start building my mileage back up... Feeling lazy now and the weight is going back on.
22/04/2012 at 16:51
Don't rush to up the mileage Craig, and don't start speedwork too soon. There's no big hurry - almost a year to Brighton

One day's recovery for each mile of a race = 26 days recovery. The body needs time to repair. Well, at least mine certainly does
22/04/2012 at 17:06

I'm with Tenjiso - didn't Sam say no more than 40 minutes for recovery?

I just had a Rosie moment - my planned 14 mile route turned out to be 16¼ miles - cruised round powered by a caffeine zipvit that I decided to road test - for the record - the cherry cola flavour is gopping compared to the blackcurrant! (Gopping = not good!)  It worked a treat though - will be using them from now on!

How cool was the coverage this morning - well done everyone - kept welling up watching it - very proud to be British and totally inspired! 

Have you made it off the sofa at all today Craig?

22/04/2012 at 17:17
SB - I'm taking zipvit blackcurrent with me for my marathon. They have the highest carb content and I preferred them to other gels I tried.

I was getting butterflies in the stomach watching the mass start today. I watched the VLM finish line cameras for an hour after normal coverage, until I had to go out I hope the weather is as good next week - but it's looking grim at the moment Still, they forecast it wrong for London, so there's hope.
22/04/2012 at 17:30
Good point guys. Gonna take it easy for a while. I used the blackcurrant ones at Paris, great things... Ten: helps if you leave off the coffee/coke for a few days too!
22/04/2012 at 17:37
I've got the non-caffeine gels. With the amount of tea/coffee I consume, I would have to lay-off for months to make a difference

22/04/2012 at 18:56
Ah, coffee - right, kettle on - slip a sugar in as part of recovery drink after my 13 miler just done (managed to avoid the downpours)
23/04/2012 at 06:33

Hello all

Thank you for all your support, VLM did go as planned, it was very hot, felt rough from mile 8 but picked up a bit from mile 17. Finished in 5.31.36, no where near the sub 5 I wanted..but pleased to have got round! Iwll catch up later...of to work now

23/04/2012 at 06:47
MWW: I'm off to work too booooo and well done!
23/04/2012 at 10:31
Congratulations MWW - you did it!

It takes some guts to push on when things aren't going to plan, so don't beat yourself up about the target. Have a well deserved rest now and put your medal in a prominent place.
23/04/2012 at 11:00

Hello all.

VLM done and a Sub 4!! (3:59:24). Completely steady splits but hard work the whole way. Stiff++ today

Thanks esp to Ruth and Sam for advice and to all of the rest of you for support

23/04/2012 at 11:03
Well done kevster!
23/04/2012 at 11:14
Well done Kevster! That's great work - steady splits and a sub 4 time on your first marathon. Enjoy the recovery now. And don't be surprised if you feel a little flat for a couple of days - it's very normal. I guess it's just where you need to rebuilt your mental energy that's been expended on reaching a target...

So glad the weather stayed good - look at it today!
1,321 to 1,340 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.