Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

1,341 to 1,360 of 1,420 messages
23/04/2012 at 11:40
Well done Kevster! Bet you are over the moon!

BTW, shown my work colleges the video and they are very impressed with the work you've done on me Sam.... Thank you, again.
23/04/2012 at 12:26
Kevster - great run!

I went for the give it away and ave it in the last 10K option and it fell apart on the Isle of Dogs where I didn't have the energy to fight my way through the throng, hung in at the equally slower peace, and convinced myself I would go for it from 20, but was almost 5 mins down on 3 hours by then, mile 24-5 was incredibly long, kept it steady rather than giving up as I have done before [my only sub 4 came when I did dodge and weave round IofD]...came in at 4:06:53, was not happy with that initially, but REALLY enjoyed the first 14 miles until Narrow St pretty much.

And then I realised it could maybe have been 10 mins worse had I done my usual!

I'm thinking that my First schedule [3 quality sessions/week] has been useful in that I have run in training at much faster paces than I would normally, and that this translated into a fast half along the way, but two thoughts - normally / before I would do a lot more cross training, up to 3 Aqua Jogs of say 1,2,3 hours in the week, and so maybe my base fitness was lacking. With First you do 2 or 3 short intense XT sessions .

I also did loads of Pilates for the first time this year though; and was out for 10 days with my foot.

Obviously my other thought is that maybe I did too much!

A HUGE issue for me is the nausea afterwards - I was OK by 10pm, but from 2-10 was so dodgy, waves of not knowing if I was going to pass out or throw up or what. I am sugar sensitive so I always have an immediate substantial shake when I finish [pack it frozen], constant grazing on pistachios etc too.

The good news is that legs are fine today, a slight twinge behind right knee and in right hip, but stairs no problem, didn't need to roll out of bed onto a pile of towels like after my first!

Craig if you're reading I still did think of you and AVE it on the Mall!!

23/04/2012 at 13:06

Kevster- MWW-Reiki

Well done to all 3 of you and all in different ways and with different race challenges.  Enjoy your recoveries and hold the good memories.

23/04/2012 at 13:39
Today I did 1m jog; 8 x 200m fast / 200m recovery; 1m jog (4 miles in total). It felt very easy. It is the first time I've ever seen my average heart rate higher in the recovery intervals than in the sprints themselves! Bit of lag there, I guess. My heart rate was consistent, though, throughout the intervals.

Six more training miles left before the big one

My car started playing up last night. The windscreen wipers, interior lights and internal alarm were intermittently starting on their own while the ignition was off!?? It's not a good sign when the mechanic looks more puzzled than me! Must be sorted out before the weekend!!!!
Edited: 23/04/2012 at 13:40
23/04/2012 at 13:48
Well done Reiki! Rather than let it all go pear-shaped, it looks like you held it together well over the last 10k. Good going!
23/04/2012 at 14:31
Thanks again all. I was about 100 yards behind the runners world 9 min mile pacer. Tried to catch them but truly impossible to get to through the crowds with dodging etc Thanks for the marker though runners world
23/04/2012 at 14:33
Hey there. I'm alive and happy . Managed to get rounding 5:21 and pretty pleased with that. Did quite steady pace up to mile 20 and them it really got hard with quite a lot of walk gaps between jogging to get through the last 6...but then the last stretch after turning onto the mall to the finish must have been the fastest but...absolutely amazing atmosphere and seemed to drag out a massive burst of adrenaline from somewhere. And didn't realise how emotional it would be...crying as I crossed the line with just pure elation. Amazing amazing day. Now very sore and worst luck had to travel to a sales pitch this morning! Well done all!
23/04/2012 at 14:55
Well done Louisa. I bet you didn't get through your sales pitch without mentioning the marathon
23/04/2012 at 15:06
Whoop whoops all round!  You're all stars! You'd get a whoop from me just for surviving the toilet queues - I would just be a nervous wreck faced with those crowds!
mcs
23/04/2012 at 15:07

Well done to all you VLM finishers a real achievement.

ENJOYED the videos of Paris very professional and no tears!!! SHame........all very cool............well done!!

23/04/2012 at 16:04
I've just had the quote to fix my car.... £750 !!!! Not impressed.

I just hope it is fixed before the weekend!!!!!
23/04/2012 at 16:47

Ten - you could run there instead ???

Louisa - great result, well done, enjoy your recovery

23/04/2012 at 16:54

reikrabbit - know what you mean about the crowds in the last half of the race...I'd managed to rein my pace in during the first half of the race rather than go off too fast like I've been known to so as not to burst towards the end and so by half way I still felt pretty good and was keeping up with my target pace, and then that's where other runners were starting to walk...I totally ran into the back of one person when he just stopped suddenly right in front of me - quite comical now I look back .  Then spent the next 5 miles dodging people as they slowed to walk suddenly.  Kept me alert for sure.  The hours flew by though enjoying the atmosphere - flew by much faster than they did in training!

Ten - ha ha actually the marathon didn't come up in conversation at all during the pitch, but lots of chat with my colleagues about it on the train to the meeting once they saw me hobbling through Paddington at 8 this morning .  And oh no about your car!!! typical!

SB: the loo queues were impressive, but more impressive was how quickly people were in and out of them once the guy on the tanoy announced it was just 10 minutes til the start of the race .  What was worse were the crowds at the meet and greet - I heard one runner get quite livid when a spectator walked over his feet!  It was madness, but then I guess to be expected with an event that size.  Great day though..still smiling.

23/04/2012 at 18:34
Hi Louisa,
Well done, how you feeling?
Our times are pretty similar - I got 5 hours 19mins.
Lots went wrong, if you look at my splits is rather like an example of how not to do it.
Started with 11 min mile pacer, I thought I'd manage ok with this, my half in feb I got 2 hrs 9 and all my long runs have averaged this pace but think the heat got to me (I am quite sun burnt!)
Stopped for loo (7 min wait) at mile 10 and by mile 14 I was struggling. My foot and my knee started to really hurt by mile 16 and I was beginning to lose it mentally, began to doubt I could finish, adopted a run walk strategy to get me to the end - crowds were amazing.
I felt very emotional when I finished and the guy who gave me my medal also gave me a huge hug, despite me being a sweaty mess with dried salt all over my face and neck.....bless him!!
Really hoped for under 4.45 but guess maybe not realistic, pretty happy now just to have finished.
Very very sad to hear the news of that poor lady who collapsed and died at about mile 25, only 30, absolutely tragic and puts my aches and pains in perspective.
Often lurked on here, Boduke, enjoyed your journey, and your achIevement appears even more awesome now having experienced the marathon!
23/04/2012 at 18:43

I agree with you Susiebuzz...Craig is a Superstar!!!

Oh, and yes I have a little sun burn round my neck...forgot my cap would only protect my head and face .

I onl just heard about that lady...shocking

mcs
24/04/2012 at 06:38
Well done ladies a great achievement.........time for me to get up and get ready to run few more weeks of heavy miles to do. Have you run this week Craig?
24/04/2012 at 09:25

Hi folks,

Had some issues in finding the time to reply... First day back at work. But well done all!!! Have been milking the video for all it's worth though

RR: Not rolling out of bed, a better time than it might have been and you could deal with stairs!!! Nice.  Thanks for the not about the Mall.   from me for that.

Louisa: How emotional and brilliant.  You are a marathon runner!!! Well done! I found people randomly stopping to be an issue after the third one, started to pay attention then in an attempt not to be anti-social.  Very professional in the pitch, I would have been: 'look, I ran a bloody marathon yesterday, just buy it, please, I need to go sit down somewhere and eat stupid amounts of food'.

Susie: Good work on hanging in there and getting over the line! You deserved that hug, bet he was nearly as emotional as you.

Ten: bummer on the car mate. I know that pain...

mcs: Got out for 4 miles v easy this morning and had 3 vvvvv slowly last Friday.  Will slowly build up the miles and back into the game.  Bring on the summer!!!

You folks are amazing and total heros!!!!!!! Well done.

24/04/2012 at 10:48
Oscarr - if I ran there and back, that would be a marathon. Maybe one day I'll be fit enough to do that on top of the marathon itself How cool would that be?

In the meantime regarding the car, I've moved past denial, anger and depression. If I can't bargain the cost down, which is unlikely, then I'll just have to accept the situation, and rob a bank or something :/
Edited: 24/04/2012 at 10:49
24/04/2012 at 11:06
Oscarr - you asked how soon it was likely that Brighton would sell out - I just copied this from the Brighton thread:

"Entries for next April's race are going very fast; the 2000 discounted early bird entries sold within one hour on launch day (Tuesday 17th April) and since then almost half of the additional public places available have been sold.
If you have not entered already there are still several thousand public entries available priced at £55 (£53 for club runners) but the price will increase to £65 (£63 for club runners) once they are filled, or at 5pm on Friday 18th May, whichever comes sooner. However at the rate they are going we expect to fill long before the 18th of May.
A final 2,000 public entries will be available at the higher price until all are sold. However all entries, including deferrals from 2012 to 2013 will close at 5pm on Friday 15th June even if we have not hit our target of 13,000 public places."

I didn't realise that I must have booked within an hour of entries opening! I don't hold out very well against temptation

24/04/2012 at 12:36

Ten - thanks, i better start thinking seriously about next years plans - hard to do at moment cos i'm so focussed on getting ready for a week on Sunday

You must be getting excited as this is your week !!!  can't wait for next week to arrive now.

1,341 to 1,360 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.