Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

1,361 to 1,380 of 1,420 messages
mcs
25/04/2012 at 15:42

32 days for me yet Oscarr.......all the best to you and Ten for the impending events.

Chucking down here and got to do seven tonight on the way home in the rain, hope it eases abit!!!

25/04/2012 at 18:01
Thanks mcs.

You're not wrong Oscarr! I can't concentrate on anything at the moment and hope I can catch up on work quickly after the marathon!!

It's a bit late in the day, but I tried wearing an ultra-light running jacket today. They are still predicting rain and wind for Sunday, so I need a contingency plan! I hope I don't have to wear it, because it does raise the temperature and make me sweat more. Ideally, I'd like to have to wear no more than a base layer and short-sleeved running shirt. I'm dreading the weather being anything like today

Yet.... I'm still looking forward to it!! I must be nuts.

After getting drenched today, I've got my car back - repaired. I was happy losing weight for the marathon, but I'm not so chuffed at being over seven hundred pounds lighter in a single day!

Anyhoo - just one quick two-miler between me and the marathon

My target time remains 4:20:00 - 4:29:59, though I'm becoming increasingly nervous about it. I'm most worried about water ingress into my garmin scuppering my pacing. And hypothermia. And forgetting to attach the timing chip. And chafing. And hydration. And... you get the picture.
25/04/2012 at 18:19

Ten - as a suggestion for you re your pacing during the run - 10 minute miling gives you 4:22 finish so as your target is 4:20 to 4:29 that fits - there will be mile markers so you can easily work out how you are doing at each mile marker just knowing the time - it also takes care of the fact that garmins under measure and you will find that at the end it reads well over 26.2 run (some folk report by as much as up to 26.7) which means you need to run a little quicker pace than garmin says to keep on target so you do need to check at key intervals anyway like 10 and 20 mile and halfway.

Hope this makes sense.

Managing to keep the nervous excitement in check but only just !!!!

25/04/2012 at 18:21
Yep you got it.
25/04/2012 at 18:46
Makes good sense Oscarr. I'm aiming to start at 10:15 pace, which is still pretty easy to calculate (until oxygen deficit turns my brain to mush). In fact, it might not be a bad idea to set out following the 4:30 pacer - if I can find him/her. That would keep me on par for progressive pacing.

I'm a bit intrigued by the MK marathon notes saying that mile markers will be on the "nearest lampost" to the actual mile mark. I don't know how far apart the lamp posts are, but that doesn't sound like it will help pacing!
25/04/2012 at 19:00
Lampost errors will only apply in the early miles as any difference will be minor overall after a few miles, unless MK has a wierd lighting system ???????????????
25/04/2012 at 19:05
They should have the markers on concrete cows...
25/04/2012 at 21:03

Craig> Thanks for responding to my message. I really liked the video - that what drew me to your blog. You seem like a really genuine guy, and show that with some determination and a will to run a marathon anyone can do it.  That's my plan too!

To everyone else who has run a marathon - congratulations. Non-marathon runners look up to you.

I'm looking forward to the blog continuing.
FYI - I've just started my Asics running plan - to run a 4hr 1st marathon, I'll try to follow that as best I can and keep my fingers crossed. I'm in the jogging phase - before it gets tough

25/04/2012 at 21:39
Thanks Anthony!

I'm reading a book about the London Marahon at the moment and Chris Brasher described the event (and big ones like it) as the Suburban Everest. Really like that description. Takes an event that is (at any speed) hard, requires effort and determination and makes it accessible to all... Brilliant.

When is your first again? Good luck, I'm still amazed that I did it. Only been for a couple of runs since finishing and getting itchy feet. Gonna do 4 or so tomorrow and then onto a 10k plan for the summer, 1/2s for September and then onto Brighton!!

Can't wait to see MK at the weekend, with some IKEA action...
25/04/2012 at 22:34
Is there an Ikea in MK?
25/04/2012 at 23:48
Good point Oscarr. I suppose this happens more often than I've realised, so it's probably no big deal.

Time to go and dream about coping with atrocious weather
26/04/2012 at 06:20
KR: looks like it. But never a good day in my book. Oh well, could be worse...
26/04/2012 at 08:05

My 1st Marathon - in October - doing Chester - near my parents, and a flatish mostly country course with an entry of 5000 runners.
Have entered 1 half marathon (Windsor) as a test of my progress - end of July. 

I like the urban everest anology! Easier to get to than an Everest or Mt Kilimanjaro - but probably a similar amount of effort/planning and training for a 1st timer.
I've just subscribed to runners world too - will keep myself tuned in to running all summer long and hopefully achieve my goals

26/04/2012 at 11:59

Ten - just received the final email from MK race director (entered this then decided to do Mar of North instead) so its time for me to wish you all the very best for Sunday - you've done the hard work so just get the pacing and fuelling right and you'll storm it !!!!!  Whatever happens and whatever the weather remember that you've already done the hard bit of 16 weeks training - good luck Ten and i can't wait for the race report.

26/04/2012 at 12:00
AC8 - welcome to Craig's thread - as its your first one, take inspiration from Craig who did great - good luck with it all, you'll have a great journey
26/04/2012 at 12:42
Thanks Oscarr - though I'd prefer you chose a different phrase to "storm" it

I've actually managed to do some work today

26/04/2012 at 12:58
Your puns are rubbing off on me ..!!!
26/04/2012 at 13:18
Ten - GOOD LUCK for MK! It is difficult to focus on anything else pre-marathon! Have fun and enjoy the day
mcs
26/04/2012 at 13:50

I want to move abroad sick of this rain!!!!

All the best to MKers on Sunday.......enjoy if thats the right word, you've done the training, go for it!!!

27/04/2012 at 07:54

Ten  - as you start to go through (for the hundreth time) your mental checklist of things to get ready for sunday i thought i would share with you a bit of seventies radio humour;

"Met a man yesterday who had a library in the bottom of his trousers - that's a turn up for the books !!!!"

Relax and enjoy (the run that is)

1,361 to 1,380 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.