Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Introducing First Timer Craig (aka BoDuke)

141 to 160 of 1,420 messages
05/01/2012 at 21:47

Glad to hear the training's going well. How are you finding the Garmin 610?

Just got back from a run and now I'm hungry for a bacon butty ... why do you suggest such things?

06/01/2012 at 12:23

Hi Craig
Was today the first pre-work run? Hope it went OK

Seems like training has gone like clockwork so far... looking ahead to next week:

Week Three w/c 9/1/12 (21M)
Mon Rest
Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M fast (8.30 miling), with 400m (2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
Wed Rest
Thu 3M steady plus 4 x acceleration strides
Fri 5M slow
Sat Rest
Sun 1M jog plus 4 x acceleration strides, then 5M race, 1 M jog. Aim for sub-55:00 (assuming it's flat and on road - otherwise, make allowances)

For those of you following the sub 4.30 programme, the tweaks I've made for Craig are the pace of the miles on Tuesday and the length of the recoveries. And instead of an 8 mile long run, Craig is doing a 5-mile club race - but he'll be doing a 10 next weekend. His long runs are slightly longer than those in the sub 4.30 schedule as he was already doing 10 milers prior to starting.

06/01/2012 at 16:29
RunnyRunRun: I really like the 610. Can wear it as a watch and it also buzzes at me when I'm too fast/slow... Re: bacon baps, yummy. Got sausage and mash tonight, not quite the same as though. Maybe Sunday after LSR...

Sam: thanks; was going like clockwork till I attempted to get out of bed at 5:00 after two weeks of no earliies. Going to have to get today's run in tonight and attempt to get up early on Sunday to get back into the swing of work and training.
mcs
06/01/2012 at 18:46
Good to see you going well. Did a five mile this am and then a four tonight back home, nice to run in the light and better weather. Food time lovely Chatsworth beef in a casserole thanks to my great boss at Xmas who bought me a large box of beef from the shop on Chatsworth Farm. Have a good weekend of resting and running.
06/01/2012 at 21:29
Been for four miler, eaten dinner and still hungry. Not sure about pace, tried to keep it nice and slow. mcs, I'd love to run home but 21 miles might be stretching it... I'm also very jealous of your stew... Got to stop eyeing up the last of the Christmas chocolates...
06/01/2012 at 21:34
You can post them to me if you like....
06/01/2012 at 22:32

hey

just realised I'm following the sam schedule but for Brighton not Paris so thought I'd pop in and say hello and join the thread!!

06/01/2012 at 22:54
BoDuke - you're lucky to have any Xmas chocolates left - ours went a long time ago! Just got one mince pie left, i thin kit is still in date - just.
07/01/2012 at 08:29

Hi  Craig, really glad it's been ok with this hospital so far. Will keep fingers crossed for the next few visits too.

07/01/2012 at 08:38
Re: Chocolates, not got a sweet tooth, but I do have to hide them from Rachel... Crisps and saturated fats tends to be by little weakness. Could eat your last mince pie for you Colin, I'll check it's still OK and let you know.

Hi VikW: How you going with it and thanks.

Thanks Rosie, good to see your better.
07/01/2012 at 08:40
There are loads of choccies left at ours if anyone fancies some, also Christmas cake mince pies crisps. I'm eating as much as I can but hardly making a dent in it.
07/01/2012 at 12:41

We still have quite a bit of sweet food left here too.  That might explain why I still weigh the same as before Christmas *looks around for a smug smiley* 

Reading back about the psychology I am another pace counter but do it at some point in most of my runs without really meaning too.  I just seem to start it for no real reason, stop counting if I start thinking about something but then pick up the numbers again when the train of thought stops.  Weird!

07/01/2012 at 15:29
Recorded Chariots of Fire the other day and about to watch for the first time ever!!! I know, but haven't seen the wizard of oz, sound of music or great escape all the way through either...

Lee: How much you burning with your training? Got to be still amounts of calories.

Bridget: envious of not post Christmas bulge... Heard about the counting thing, but I keep forgetting where I was. Heard it works for loads of others..
07/01/2012 at 20:14

Hi Craig

I do think you have to be careful with recovery drinks including milkshakes for calories especially  if you do put on weight easy or you are trying to lose weight, you can quickly drink a lot of calories generally compared to eating food BUT having said that after long runs or very hard prolonged sessions they do get the carbs, protein and some fluid back into you quick. If you had a recovery drink after every run it may not be needed and be expensive! Although those training twice a day etc may  find them very useful.

See you at the end of the month but will be back on your thread soon to see how you are doing.

mcs
07/01/2012 at 21:10
Don't use sports drinks etc till I get over twelve or more miles and rather carry a gel or two. They are expensive and heavy to carry too. Off to spend my Asics 26.2 voucher tomorrow to buy several pairs of trainers, the only problem with so many of us running in this house!! Happy long runs all......
07/01/2012 at 21:28

Good luck with that mcs - I tried to use mine but all Asics shoes were on sale in the sweatshop I went to so I couldn't use it!  Was told the sale was on until the end of the month which is when the voucher runs out.  Having said that - I got my shoes cheaper in the sale than they would have been if I'd used the voucher anyway!

08/01/2012 at 08:48
SB - i had same experience with Sweatshop and the voucher for shoes.  Also a bit annoying that my local store (Reading) does not stock any Asics clothing or accessories so couldn't use the voucher at all.  Never mind.
08/01/2012 at 09:13
Thanks for the advice Ruth, appriciate you saving me some cash and more importantly, some calories for real food!

Tried a porridge idea from the RW nutrition book this morning in prep for 10 miler today. Very nice, honeyed banana. Yummy. Only 260 kcals and set me up, OH and small person also enjoyed!!! Mushroom and bacon omelette when I get back and then gonna bake bread.

Regarding cross training. I don't have a bike (unless work arrange a discount thing) and not in a gym. Been doing some weights, low resistance with lots of reps and pull up/ press up/ bridges and all that. Was thinking about doing some climbing once a week would this support or hinder running I wonder??? Did it in late teens and early Uni days but broke a toe and didn't return after injury...

Sleepy, oscarr and mcs: bummer guys. Got a flyer in this months RW with a massive sale in Sweatshop.

Right, to the supermarket in my running gear and then out for run when shopping packed away. Have good day all.
08/01/2012 at 10:17
I've still not got my copy of RW!
08/01/2012 at 12:49

Boduke- climbing is great fun, and I used to do indoor climbing every week, until recently- dunno if it is good crosstraining- might be, and I'm sure the flexibility is helpful. I've never dared climb in the week before a race, for fear of scraping an ankle, or bashing a toe.

Just back from first run in 4 days ( had the lurgy) so behind with my trainig already- still, I've never heard of nyone trainig for a marathon, and not having some break in training due to colds or injuries, so that's the one for this campaign over and done with.

141 to 160 of 1,420 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.