Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Introducing the fifth and final member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Emma (aka EmmaC) Emma will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread ...

181 to 200 of 1,458 messages
06/01/2012 at 06:51
SOLB wrote (see)
Haven't you vaulted the fence yet USB? Breaking in could be part of your warm up

No fence USB but a 3 mile warm up away! Although you can park up there at the moment as the grounds are National Trust the little man on the gatehouse might wonder why I'm coming up for a walk in the dark!  No floodlights either

Emma - Hope they keep the track.  They added some astroturf 5 a side pitches at our sports centre less than a mile away but didn't put a track in

06/01/2012 at 07:31
I an totally at a loss as to reasons to get rid of track... It needs some repair at a not inconsiderable cost. However cost of treating obesity would be much greater!

Sam doesn't do her speed work on a track but I like it for shorter reps. Plus we use the tunnel for stretching after in the warm and dry.I can't get to track for my 5 x 1000m as I have parents evening... Either going to do this on the road or on a tready.

Prob not going to gym this morning as I have a sore throat this morning. Think a rest ... Well washing, ironing, writing reports and marking a level mocks will be more benefit! Mmmm
06/01/2012 at 08:03

Emma - so pleased you are having a better end to your running week - that's week 2 nearly done so 1/8th the way through !!

06/01/2012 at 11:34

Hi Emma

Great track session. To be more precise about your paces, since you found yourself going quicker - the guideline says 1m/5km pace so your range would actually be 7.40-8 mins per mile. So for these much shorter reps, you can happily go for the quicker end of the spectrum if it feels good to do so.

Good luck with the long run... don't stress out about hitting 10s on the nose 10-10.15, 10.20 will be a good job!

06/01/2012 at 12:05

Well done on adding the stretches. It's great to use the gym just to do a stretch and core session once a week. Thi scan be on an easy/ rest day from running.

Yes I def agree fab tights but I still get that muffin top!!

Sarah

06/01/2012 at 12:34

I know this week's not over yet, but here's what Week 3 is looking like for Emma:

Week Three w/c 9/1/12 approx 29MMon Rest + strength trainingTue 1M jog, 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10K pace (or 8:20) with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 4M at Half-Marathon pace (37 mins) then 1M jogFri 5M easy + strength trainingSat 12M slow (approx 2 hrs 10) (off-road would be good)Sun Rest

Tweaks from the main sub 4.15 programme are a longer but slower long run (12 slow instead of 10 steady) and a slightly faster-pace for the 10km-paced miles, based on Emma's abiility (8.20 per mile instead of 8.30.) But 3 miles at 10k pace is quite tough so I've upped the recoveries to 3 minutes from 2, so she doesn't hate me!

06/01/2012 at 12:56
06/01/2012 at 13:03

Hi Emma, well done on your selection and good luck with your marathon training.

*waves to mcs and USB*

Big thank you to Sam - I followed one of your marathon schedules last year and finished London in 4:18.  A whole 21 minutes quicker than the year before.

I'm not doing a spring marathon, thinking about doing Abbingdon and really hitting it hard for a Sub 4hr later in the year. but I am looking forward to reading about everyones training.

06/01/2012 at 13:05
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Emma

Great track session. To be more precise about your paces, since you found yourself going quicker - the guideline says 1m/5km pace so your range would actually be 7.40-8 mins per mile. So for these much shorter reps, you can happily go for the quicker end of the spectrum if it feels good to do so.

Good luck with the long run... don't stress out about hitting 10s on the nose 10-10.15, 10.20 will be a good job!

We will aim for 10's which gives us some scope for slowing down for cattle, dogs, horses etc. We kept running past a guy with a pony and trap on one route! Will try not to get too anxious - the long runs at a pace are what I am most worried about.

My pace was sub 7s for the 200 m but then v v slow for the 1 min recovery. I loved the session though and felt as if I had worked but not exhausted! Think the 3 x 1 miles will be tougher next week! Will probably swap Tues and Thursday around as the 3 x 1600m more suited to track.

The week after that I should be doing 5 x 1000m on Thurday eve (as I have swapped my Tues and Mon sessions over) - however I will have to do them on Friday morning (Parents evening at school so not back till 10). Hope that is ok. Will be doing 10k fast run on the Saturday because there are absolutely no races on that weekend - how odd! Then a 3 mile recovery run on the sunday afternoon after hubby's football match!

The other option is that I could do a 14m training run on the sunday with my running club (if parents will baby sit) as I can't find a race. Would that be as good?

Did do the gym this am - 1/2 hour gently in fatburning zone on cross trainer, plus my strength work, stretches followed by a hot shower and a coffee. I even got my chums doing the strenth work - they didn't like it much!

06/01/2012 at 13:07
Suze78 wrote (see)

Hi Emma, well done on your selection and good luck with your marathon training.

*waves to mcs and USB*

Big thank you to Sam - I followed one of your marathon schedules last year and finished London in 4:18.  A whole 21 minutes quicker than the year before.

I'm not doing a spring marathon, thinking about doing Abbingdon and really hitting it hard for a Sub 4hr later in the year. but I am looking forward to reading about everyones training.

Thanks Suze - great to know that sticking to the schedule works! I would go bananas if I managed 4:18 - well done you fabulous time! WIll keep plugging away!
06/01/2012 at 13:12

I know this week's not over yet, but here's what Week 3 is looking like for Emma:

Week Three w/c 9/1/12 approx 29MMon Rest + strength trainingTue 1M jog, 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10K pace (or 8:20) with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 4M at Half-Marathon pace (37 mins) then 1M jogFri 5M easy + strength trainingSat 12M slow (approx 2 hrs 10) (off-road would be good)Sun Rest

Tweaks from the main sub 4.15 programme are a longer but slower long run (12 slow instead of 10 steady) and a slightly faster-pace for the 10km-paced miles, based on Emma's abiility (8.20 per mile instead of 8.30.) But 3 miles at 10k pace is quite tough so I've upped the recoveries to 3 minutes from 2, so she doesn't hate me!

Looks great - I'll swap Tues and Thurs around (as track availiable on Thurs only).

I see the Tues 'sandwich' session has now got 4 rather than 3 at 1/2 pace - therefore I am going to stick to 1/2 pace this time rather than running off like a loon. WIll also try and use more 'percieved exersion' rather than garmin watching. Should feel comfortably challenging I believe.

I wouldn't hate you but my friends might get sick of me saying 'Sam says.. and Sam says ....' - ha ha - really put them through their paces with the strength work!

06/01/2012 at 13:14
Sarah - I did go to the gym in the end and did gentle 30 mins on cross trainer, followed by all the strength work and then some stretching! I still have quite tight calves - think this could be because I'm running slightly faster than I used to?
06/01/2012 at 18:43

Emma - I know what you mean about a track being nice for shorter reps (thankfully I have an almost flat 200m stretch of underused pavement nearby) but I do have to say that I enjoy the challenge of longer reps more.

Sarah - Muffin top? You? !!

06/01/2012 at 18:49
EmmaC wrote (see)

Hi Emma

We will aim for 10's which gives us some scope for slowing down for cattle, dogs, horses etc. We kept running past a guy with a pony and trap on one route! Will try not to get too anxious - the long runs at a pace are what I am most worried about.

My pace was sub 7s for the 200 m but then v v slow for the 1 min recovery. I loved the session though and felt as if I had worked but not exhausted! Think the 3 x 1 miles will be tougher next week! Will probably swap Tues and Thursday around as the 3 x 1600m more suited to track.

The week after that I should be doing 5 x 1000m on Thurday eve (as I have swapped my Tues and Mon sessions over) - however I will have to do them on Friday morning (Parents evening at school so not back till 10). Hope that is ok. Will be doing 10k fast run on the Saturday because there are absolutely no races on that weekend - how odd! Then a 3 mile recovery run on the sunday afternoon after hubby's football match!

The other option is that I could do a 14m training run on the sunday with my running club (if parents will baby sit) as I can't find a race. Would that be as good?

Did do the gym this am - 1/2 hour gently in fatburning zone on cross trainer, plus my strength work, stretches followed by a hot shower and a coffee. I even got my chums doing the strenth work - they didn't like it much!

Hi Emma

A couple of options to consider regarding week 4. I don't recommend doing the 5 x 1000 on the Friday and then a fast 10km run on Saturday. Try to follow a 'hard-easy' pattern with training rather than doing two hard sessions in a row - to get the most out of them and allow enough recovery.

So could do the 5 x 1000m on Friday, rest Saturday and 14 miles easy with club on Sunday.

Or could do the 5 x 1000m on Friday, rest Saturday and do the Les Witton Dartford 10 on the Sunday (it's 10 MILES I should add, not 10k!) Bit of a trek though, maybe?

Or could do them on Tuesday not on the track (go on time, rather than distance) and then you get Friday to rest and can do the fast 10km on Saturday.

Gosh, it must be like juggling whilst on a treadmill with an iron in your hand, being you!!

06/01/2012 at 19:15

It is a bit like juggling - feel like I'm constantly on a treadmill to be honest. I would happily do them on Tuesday not on Track but would have Tuesdays session to fit in (a sandwich session as I call them). I'm not able to train Thurday evening as I have 6th Form Parents evening!

How about ... Speed session on Monday, Sandwich session on Tuesday, Steady 6 on Thursday and 12 -14 easy on Saturday, followed by 3 recovery on Sunday? That way I wouldn't need to involve baby sitters!

It means that I don't have a 10k race - how crucial is it? I am doing more speed/tempo work than I have done previously and will have the Watfor 1/2 only 2 weeks later.

I could also shorten the sandwich or steady run if you felt it was too much distance. Would give me a total of about 33 - 35 miles which isn't too much over planned distance.

06/01/2012 at 19:18
Or I could do Monday and Tuesday as per schedule (Mon - 6 steady, 7 miles steady and marathon pace). Then do the 1000m repeats on Friday monrning and a easy long run on Saturday?
06/01/2012 at 19:19
Mum and Dad are baby sitting on the following Sunday so would rather not ask them to do this weekend as well!
07/01/2012 at 18:50

Hi Emma

Let's skip the 10km race - as you say, have Watford soon after, and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. I think the best option is to do

Monday speed 5 x 1k (5.5)

Tuesday steady REDUCE TO 4

Wed Rest

Thursday sandwich 7

Friday Rest

Sat Long 12-14

Sun Easy 3

Does that work? I'd rather you didn't do speed and sandwich on consecutive days!

07/01/2012 at 20:56

Hi Ruth - I'm struggling after christmas with my food to be honest! Too many biscuits still around and I seem to have developed a slight addiciton to mince pies. The asics tights are lovely and tight over my tummy but there is far too much escaping over the top! I think I need to cut wheat out of my diet and try to have a low GI diet so that my energy levels stay more level. This requires me to be a bit more organised with my meal planning. Must stop pincing what my boys leave on their plates!

Evening Emma

Do you have any symptoms  when you eat wheat?

I have just suggested to Rosie that she keeps a food diary for the next few days alongside the time she eats these foods/fluids and when you trained. This would at least give me a starting point to work from? Do you have time to do this?  

07/01/2012 at 21:01
MadWelshWoman (http://www.justgiving.com/JaynieRanceyou still struggle you should cut out all the foods you know are bad and this includes high calorie drinks. You also need to consider your portion sizes and eat regularly . If you are struggling to lose weight and there is no medical reason (most often not) then you are consuming too many calories!
181 to 200 of 1,458 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.