Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Introducing the fifth and final member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Emma (aka EmmaC) Emma will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread ...

261 to 280 of 1,458 messages
12/01/2012 at 13:56

Thanks for that Sam.

Emma I agree. It is the really long runs which will be hard to plan around. Not just time on feet out running but also eating beforehand and eating/recovering afterwards. That is why I am doing my best to limit family disruption now.

12/01/2012 at 16:40

Its tricky isn't it Kevster?I find myself clock watching on the last few miles of a run knowing that I need to be back to organise dinner, washing, reading to the boys etc. Hopefully in a few years they can come with me!

I also get anxious that i won't be able to do the distance or that I won't enjoy it - I know there are always going to be runs/sections of runs that aren't fun but I don't ever want to put myself off running.

Sounds a bit mental but running has changed my life over the last 2 1/2 years and I want to do everything I can to keep running for as long as I am able! So dread thought that I'll not enjoy something and be put off! Each year I get a little more confident that I'll complete the distance but they remain tough.

12/01/2012 at 17:43

Once you've done Paris - maybe you can go out occasionally without a watch and just enjoy it?

What is it about the runs that you don't enjoy? Is it when they get too quick to be comfortable?  You are allowed to slow down... I agree that enjoyment is the most important part - I might not be the best that I can be right now but I can say hand on heart that I always enjoy my runs even the hard ones but then I guess it's easy to say when there's no pressure on me!

I hate to think of you not enjoying any part of this process. Try to remember that fitness is like a plant - it's inherent pattern is to grow.  The tricky part is allowing it to do so at the rate that's right for you as an individual!  When you start to worry just remind yourself that the more you enjoy it the more you'll want to do it and thereby the better you'll get!  Don't harder runs get more comfortable as you get fitter anyway?  You're going to be fine and do fantastically - repeat after me....

12/01/2012 at 18:07

Sleepy Bear - You have really made me smile! Thank you - loving the idea of my fitness being like a plant ... it needs right fuel and rest as well to thrive (eating has been better today!) and plan to get an early night!

I think you are right - I am not very good at pushing myself out of my comfort zone (ie running in discomfort). Starting track traing has been a revalation - pushing till I'm pretty darned uncomfortable and then recovering. Making it manageable. You are right - as I get fitter (I think I might be a bit fitter already) I can push myself harder. When I'm out doing a run, I think I get frustrated that I can't manage the pace that I hope to be able to do in the future (or think I should be able to do now).

When I am worried that I might not be back on time, for hubby going out to football etc. or later than we had planned so that I miss family time I don't enjoy the run. When I feel freer, know boys are having fun it is easier. When ever I finish a run I feel great - only about two exceptions to this over the last 2 1/2 years. The harder the run, the more elated I feel that I achieved it!

I said in my application that one of my strenghts was being a perfectionist and that one of my weaknesses is also being a perfectionist - I put lots of pressure on myself. Before the Barns Green 1/2 in October I didn't sleep all night I wqs so worried about it!

12/01/2012 at 18:53

Hello all

Emma - I can empathise, I feel exactly the same on LSR days. I usually head out early Sat or Sun morning, but always have to be back fo some activity or other!

Sleepy Bear - love the plant analogy!

I did 5 this morning before work, a bit tired this evening, but two of my chidlren are not well at the moment so a bit of extra stress!

12/01/2012 at 19:00
"You can't fire a canon from a canoe" - build your base then fire up the pace stuff
12/01/2012 at 19:20
Hi Emma good luck in Paris!! I like you did London marathon in 2010 and did it in 5.01, so we must have been close to each other, like you i got ballot place in 2011, but unfortunately was injured. I didn't run for 7 months and its taken me 6 months to get my fitness back and I am doing London again in April as I was able to carry my place over to 2012. Like you i would love to get a 4.30 marathon time, during my training for 2010 I was aiming and target for this, but found it difficult to obtain partially perhaps I didn't push myself due to the fear of hitting the wall, I hope you succeed and will be following your progress and taking on any advice that you may pass on!! One thing I have learn over the years of running is to just enjoy the run, the freedom it gives you and how lucky we are to have the gift of running. So just enjoy, and I am sure that with hard work and determination we will both get there, I will definitely think of you when I cross the line at 4.30. Lets hope i keep this confidence on race day LM, lol
12/01/2012 at 21:27
Just found out, Emma. Fantastic!!!! I know you will give it your all.
Will pop back to see how you are doing. Xxxx
13/01/2012 at 04:12
good luck to you
13/01/2012 at 07:14

Hey Enmma,  good luck with th training.  I like you also turn 40 this year and I'm also training to be under 4:20.

This is only my 2nd full marathon with my first time being 4:41.  With the support of everyone it's all achievable.   Think about the feeling at the end for a runner of of only 4 years there was nothing like it. ????

Donna xx  

13/01/2012 at 09:24
Sam - I've seen you mention that you are not using the 4:30 or 4:00 schedules, but the 4:15 one instead. I've looked, but haven't been able to find that schedule (not helped by the lousy RW search function).

Please could you post a link to the full schedule as I'm interested in seeing what the differences are?
Edited: 13/01/2012 at 09:24
13/01/2012 at 09:32

Hi Tenjiso

I will have to find out from RW HQ if the schedule is online - I suspect it was one from the magazine that SteveMarathonCoach wrote and I've fiddled with. I will also find out if I can post a link to it. I'm not very technical I'm afraid

Just off to do some barefoot coaching now...

13/01/2012 at 09:58
Thanks Sam.
mcs
13/01/2012 at 10:01

Interesting reading Emma, I think I have always run my long runs due to feeling abit guilty being out on a Sunday when I should be spending time with my family who are very important to me. 26th wedding anniversary this week, we are all off out for a meal tonight. I find it best to get up at stupid oclock on a Sunday or Saturday if there is something going on with the family so I get it done before breakfast almost. It means you are tired at the end of the day but I do get abit grumpy so have to balance it with getting enough sleep................you will be fine but dont expect you will be perfect none of us are!!

life would be dull without human errror........

Happy Friday......

13/01/2012 at 12:55

MWW -  I do feel guilty a lot of the time when I'm out running and when we have to get childcare I feel like a bad Mum! Hoever, the more I run, the fitter I get and I am more positive with the boys. In the summer when my hubby doesn't play footie on a Sunday he brings them to watch races and they really enjoy themselves. Sometimes they even make banners ... so sweet! I also think that modeling a healthy lifestyle is good for them as they will grow up thinking exercise is normal and hopefully be more healthy!

Jenny and Donna -  We all sound like we have had similar experiences in the VLM! I found the second time I ran it much harder in a way than the forst time - I think I had expected myself to do so much better. My training, thanks to Sam, is very different this time. I like the structure and so far have found the shorter runs that have pace challenging but really enjoyable - I feel that every session is really worthwhile rather than the 'junk' miles that I used to throw in last year. Are you juggling family and work commitments too? I will have been running 3 years nearly when I get to Paris so am quite chuffed that will be comleting my third marathon! 40 is the new 30 isn't it?

Thanks Toby!

Fran -  Thank you lovely! I wrote about you in my application! How I had met up with you at VLM last year and how you were lovely trying to keep me calm! Hope you and your family are well. How are the little ones? Reuben was Joseph in the nativity this year - so sweet!

mcs - Have a great meal tonight!

13/01/2012 at 12:58

MCS, Emma - yes it's interesting, this 'pace guilt' thing. Back in the day (!) before Garmins etc, we didn't know if we were 'on pace' or not. We did long runs, tempo runs etc all on feel. Perhaps applying the science yields better results but try not to become a slave to the pace. And remember, the pace guidelines are for flat, even runs on a nice solid terrain so you have to account for hills, obstacles and softer surfaces. Don't try to maintain the pace on these by working harder. Most of my long run miles yesterday were at about 8.40-9.10 but there was a 10.40 in there when I had to go up a big, grassy hill

13/01/2012 at 13:07

Sam -  Really enjoyed session last night (especially as the marathoners from my club were doing 5m @ 10k pace - yukkaroo!). I did 8:16, 8:00, 8:10 for my 3 x 1m and really steady 1m warm up and 1 m cool down. Went to gym this morning and did 30 mins on the cross trainer and strength and stretches. I did the 5m easy run on Monday instead of this morning. So far milage is 17 with a 12 slow tomorrow! Really looking forward to is especially as I'm getting my hair done in the afternoon - I can actually read a magazine in peace!

13/01/2012 at 13:27
Kevster - how and when do you get your LSR done? I can't do Sundays as hubby plays footie!
13/01/2012 at 13:32

Hi Emma

are you doing these mile reps on the track? If so, I recommend looking at your 400m splits on the way round, so you can adjust pace as necessary. The middle one is rather quick! Looking for consistency. Each 400m lap should be around 2 mins 5 seconds.

Was about to post next week's schedule but after all the week 4 juggling I've lost track of where we are so need to go back through posts to remind myself  Back soon. Oooh, actually it's lunch time isn't it. Anyone else like to time their lunch to listen to The Archers? Oh. Just me, then

13/01/2012 at 13:38

Serious matters - My food diary for Thursday!

Breakfast -  grapes, apple, low fat strawberry yog and nut and fruit sprinkles

Lunch -  2 x rye bread toasted with thin peanut butter, two slices of malt loaf

Snack - banana and 1 slice of malt loaf

Track session

Dinner - Large Jacket potato (bit of butter I'm afraid), tuna, grated cheese on potato and a jumbo salad.

Snack -  10 crisps - ooops!

Several cups of tea but no sugar!!!!!

FRIDAY

Breakfast -  grapes, apple, low fat yog and nut and fruit sprinkles

Lunch -  Chicken and veg soup (unfortunately from a tin as I didn't have time/will to make it), 2 x rye bread toasted (thin clover), 2 x malt loaf.

I also had a coffee - with no sugar!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.