Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Introducing the fifth and final member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Emma (aka EmmaC) Emma will be mentored by Sam Murphy on this thread ...

81 to 100 of 1,458 messages
27/12/2011 at 13:21
Hope the illness didn't spoil Xmas day too much for you Emma. My youngest lad likes sitting on my back when I do the plank. I don't usually last too long with him on there! Is there a Club that you can join in with to do the speed sessions?
27/12/2011 at 15:27
Congratulations on getting picked Emma.

My marathon is a couple of weeks after yours, but I'll be following your thread closely. I'm currently targeting 4:20 - 4:30, so your schedule should be pretty close to my own requirements. I'm considering entering the Watford Half too.

Thanks for posting your schedule information, and thanks to Sam for the additional info. Very useful!

Could you also post a bit about the exercises you have been given? I know you are doing "the plank", but would be grateful if you could add some extra info.

Good luck with the training.

27/12/2011 at 16:30

Apologies for the typos everyone - still feeling a bit ropey!

Tenjiso - I hope Sam's program will provide you with all you need to achieve your target!

There are so many excercises that Sam could suggest - but given the time I have availiable she has chopped it down to four exercises that can be adapted to make them more challenging.

1. PLANK - front for 15 secs the to the side and back again. The target for me at the moment is to get to 6 rounds of this!
  2. BRIDGE - lying you your back and then raising your hips so that there is a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. To try and make it a bit trickier Sam has suggested walking my legs out and back a few inches. Eventually I should be able to extend one leg at a time - not happening at the moment.
  3. SQUATS - these are different from squats I have been used to doing as I need to squat right down to the ground. My heels have to come off the floor for this - but it is important to keep your body weight central and your chest up. I do ten of these.
  4. SINGLE LEG 'SIT BACKS' (this is my own made up name) - this involves standing on one leg with your arms out in front (for balance) and then mimicing sitting down on a chair - I can get that far back and I am very wobbly so trying to do fove on each leg for a hold of 10-15 seconds. This is the one I find the toughest.

Hope that helps!

I'm still feeling queesy and very sorry for myself!

27/12/2011 at 19:37
Thanks for that Emma. Hope you get over your illness without too much impact on your running.
mcs
28/12/2011 at 14:55
Think you need to offload some stuff on mr C for the next four months Emma!! All the best for a fit winter.......I have been doing some core work since Birmingham seems to be helping. Just out for a gentle recovery run before inlays for big eating session!
mcs
28/12/2011 at 14:55
Inlaws! Just trying to match Emma!
28/12/2011 at 15:37
Emma, those core exercises sound good. We did that Bridge one at the Bootcamp and it was a lot more tricky than it looked! I think that it is a good one to master. Did Sam suggest doing a session of those 4 exercises altogether?
28/12/2011 at 16:33

Hope you are feeling better Emma. I am also a teacher with 2 boys (aged 11 and 7) so will be following this thread to see how you get on!

I have signed up for my first ever marathon on 1st April, excited and also a bit daunted!

28/12/2011 at 17:39

Good luck mathschick! Great name! The rest of my family are maths teachers - I'm the odd one out being a chemist!

Still feeling ropey - I am hoping that I will feel better tomorrow - I have a track session in the evening. Only 4 miles but they need to be good miles!

28/12/2011 at 17:41

Hi KN - Sam did suggest doing them together - If i get good at them then perhaps will split them up as wil be doing them for longer. I think she would like me to try and do them three times a week. Once I feel a bit brighter I shall try them again!

mcs - hubby has been great last couple of days when I have felt poorly! But he's getting fed up with our bickering boys!

28/12/2011 at 18:50

the bickering boys don't get any better as they get older - mine can be a nightmare!

oh, and I put on 4 stone with each child. I did lose it inbetween, but still haven't got back down to pre-baby weight.

28/12/2011 at 19:42
I put on several stone with the birth of my first child. I've no idea how much the wife put on.
28/12/2011 at 20:15

I didn't put on any weight, but have gained alot of grey hairs with my 2 boys. I think all boys bicker mathschick, mine are like tooth & nail most of the time. It's when they are quiet that's the worst - what are they up to?

Tried a few of those side planks tonight Emma - not an easy one, but hopefully they'll get easier!

mcs
29/12/2011 at 10:56
4.3 fell route uphill for the first mile and a quarter in headwind driving rain and lots of mud.....ouch.......shower time, have a good day.
29/12/2011 at 11:32

Hello Emma

Congratulations! I hope you are feeling better.

I have a similarly hectic lifestyle, 3 very busy children (although older than yours) and work as a University Lecturer. I run early mornings as I provide a taxi service for the children in the evenings! I have done 3 marathons (London each time). I look forward to following your trainign as I get into my schedule for VLM!

Good luck

29/12/2011 at 13:30

Still feeling sickly but not as nauseous as yesterday!

Looking farward to track tonight - I've been running much less over the last week or so and think I need to blow away the cobwebs.

I didn't manage to loose the weight inbetween each pregnancy - but also think getting older makes it more difficult. At the fitness assessment they told me I was a shocking % fat - above normal! ARGHHHHH! Bit depressing but apparently because I have it all around my bum it is ok! Very cheeky tenjiso!

Such a good idea running in the morning - what time do you go out? I get up at 5:50 as it is to get to work on time - think getting up earlier might push me over the edge! Perhaps when it starts to get lighter I might be able to manage it?

I hope I don't disappoint everyone and stick to the schedule as well as you! In my rather OCD way of doing things I have interpreted Sams schedule in to a spreadsheet. It's not all fancified with colour and funtions written in but I can post it if it would be useful to folks as a tick list. It also contains details of races that I am entering - hopefully see some folks there? Just let me know if you would like the spreadsheet posted.

Sort of in the words of my alter ego Brucie 'Keeeeep Running!'

29/12/2011 at 13:42
Emma - I get up at around 5.45 and run before work, I couldn't get up any earlier either! It would be useful to see the spreadsheet you have prepared. I'm sure you will give it your best shot, looking forward to keeping up with your progress.
29/12/2011 at 14:18
29/12/2011 at 14:59

HI Emma

Yes, the spreadsheet works and thanks for posting it! Although you are more advanced than I am it is useful to see what you are doing.

I also have to get up at 6 on a normal day to get ready for work, so on the days that I run I get up about 4:30. Actually not too bad when you get used to it, even in the dark! I put all my gear in the bathroom so I can get up without disturbing OH, so I just roll out of bed, have a bit of water, get stuff on and go. I take some water with me too, but don't eat or anything before heading out. It is honestly the only way I can fit the runs in to the busy day - even if I leave school early as soon as I get home it is cooking/ferrying kids about etc and no time to myself.

Not sure what time I will have to head out when I have to up the midweek mileage though! I am dead slow so would have to leave really early to fit 10 miles in, so not sure how I am going to do that!

29/12/2011 at 15:04
The link works Emma.

I keep my stats in spreadsheets too. I keep information about mile split times and heart rate (among other stuff), so that I can directly compare runs and see what improvements have been made. Treadmills are great for keeping benchmark runs because the conditions can be easily replicated, but a regular outdoor route also does the job.

I know, I'm anal and a geek
81 to 100 of 1,458 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.