Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Introducing the fourth member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Lee (aka Choisty) With Virgin London Marathon Championship qualification as hi...

21 to 40 of 703 messages
15/12/2011 at 16:25
And the marathons in training you allude to, what are they about?
Sorry for all the questions!
15/12/2011 at 16:33

Well for those hoping to see him in London on Saturday; I woudn't wait, he'll probably end up in South Wales.

His sense of direction is atrocious; he was once running along the North Devon coast and he somehow managed to run the wrong direction!

Piers

15/12/2011 at 16:56

Piers, if you mention the test way there will be no beer tonight!

Matchstick Man wrote (see)
Choisty, what sort of mileage do you do a week currently,ie do you keep a diary? Also how do you structure your year, your training and your racing? Your 2-01 for 20 looks promising for your targets next spring so did you train specifically for it or was it something you just went and did? I take it you self coach and am trying to get a feel for how you train - is it structured or as you feel or somewhere in the middle? As someone who aspires to your short distance times I'm simply interested as to how you've got them: by accident or design?

No worries about the questions. 

• I normally run 40-50mpw but at the moment I'm trying to get a base for the marathon (I was planning on success) so am running about 70mpw.
  • I structure my week normally as Mon - tempo run; Tue - Reps; Wed - Longer run; Thu - Club reps; Fri - Run for fun; Sat - Long Run; Sun - Rest.  I have doubled up on Mon and Thu recently
  • My 2:01 for 20miles should of been 1:58, I really didn't take it seriously I did it to complete all 12 Hampshire road race league event and win a prize.  I went through 10 in 58:30 and was on the same pace through 16, however I then ran out of energy, I hadn't tapered or taken gels, I just drank water on the day!
  • My years is pretty much the same throughout, although in the summer I do run on the track so train shorter (ish), but I don't race in June.
  • I used to have a training plan, but now I just short of play it by ear...I can't wait to have a plan and a fully though out goal again that is very exciting for me.  My last one was sub 1hr for 10.
  • So I have got here mainly by design but more recently by simply running
  • I ran two full marathons in training as my long runs, this helped loads (I ran one in 3:05) as I new I was in shape to break 3hrs so on the start line it wasn't a hope but a belief.

The thing I think helps most with training, racing and running is to smile and enjoy it

15/12/2011 at 17:54
  • Don't worry Norfolk Reps tonight and I'm your coach of choice this evening as Franny's away.

Won't hurt you too much

Piers

15/12/2011 at 19:17
Congratulations, Lee! I voted for you so I am glad you are one of the lucky winners! Keep on smiling
15/12/2011 at 20:02
I voted for you to and glad to see you got through as feel this thread is going to make very interesting reading.
15/12/2011 at 20:48
Congratulations Lee! I always enjoy reading the training of the speedier runners. Your usual mileage is relatively low, so assuming you don't break down with the bigger miles I can see plenty of room for improvement. I expect to see you on the Champs start at VLM 2013.
15/12/2011 at 21:43

I had a feeling when I met you first thing at Bootcamp that you'd make a great member of the final 5. A great goal to aim for! Well done Lee on making the team and all the very best for Paris. I'll be following the forums and tracking your progress. 

Congratulations and don't forget to take enough change for the car park!

Abi 

16/12/2011 at 00:07
Well done mate, well deserved.
16/12/2011 at 08:50

Thank you all for your votes and congratulations, I hope to make this interesting reading, one thing is for sure I am likely to go off on a tangent from tiem to time. 

CC2 I have worked up to 90+mpw when marathon training before without injury problems so am hopeful I can again.

Abi, I've decieded to take the train at the weekend so I don't have to faff about in central london in the car

16/12/2011 at 09:08

As piers said we did "Norfolk" reps at the club last night, now this session stems from our training week last year when we joined a session of North Norfolk Beach Runners and in true runners style each rep turned into a wee bit of a race.  However the session was a complete mix of differing length and pace of rep and you never new what was coming next, so often it was flat out only to find the rep suddenly extended by 200m.

Last nights session was a series 4 x 2min 30s on a hill, then on to a new area for 3 x 1.2km cruise reps, then 5 x 100m hill sprints with the last being a race between the two groups with the slower paced group having a head start, which they used exceptionally well to win by a street.

16/12/2011 at 16:42
Well a beautiful lunchtime run today, 10miles at easy pace watching & hearing the Jays in the trees over head
16/12/2011 at 16:44
Followed by mince pies, Hestons once with the pine scented sugar, this was not so good
16/12/2011 at 18:53

Another Clubmate of Choisty's....................

Piers is 100% right about Lee's sense of direction and the "Test Way" episode is the classic of his navigational blunders.

All the best with your training Lee, I will have to look at new ways to make you suffer on Thursday nights.

17/12/2011 at 00:15
Congratulations Choisty. Good luck for the weeks ahead
17/12/2011 at 10:11
Well done Choisty. Really pleased to see a really fast runner in the SSX this year. I'll be peaking through the curtains, following you as a dirty lurker!

Best of luck
Edited: 17/12/2011 at 10:13
18/12/2011 at 23:14
Lee, it was a pleasure to met you yesterday . Well done and think we are both going to enjoy the next few months.
18/12/2011 at 23:16
Thank you guys what a weekend, so much has happened but overall I am still almost speechless. Saturday started with an early start an on an Icey train journey up I managed to write my Christmas cards. On arrival I met Emma and Alice and had a most welcome coffee before we got into the serious business of hunting trainers. After a 3D footscan and gait analysis and loads of chat I chose the fabulous exel33 they are so smooth and fast I am going to enjoy those! We the got to choose kit and I was like a kit I a sweet shop. All kitted out we then had loads of piccies taken including in the middle of regent street!

To top things off we were given the fantastic garmin 610 which I hope to play with soon. Then it was off to BUPA very hungry.

We were tested for body fat mine is slightly less the usual, muscle slightly more the usual, core strength about average, flexibility way above average. Unfortunately I couldn't complete the tests as my heart had an irregularity which could be a blockage or a sign of increased athletic performance, I will find out next week! I was advised to take it easy until then.

So I decided to race this morning, which was wonderful through the frost, and even better I won individually and we won as a team! Then home quick shower and I got to watch my kids in their gymnastics Christmas show, they were fantastic.

Then home, the ironing and tidying up ready for a visit from relatives, now it is time for a rest!
19/12/2011 at 08:00
Choisty wrote (see)
Unfortunately I couldn't complete the tests as my heart had an irregularity which could be a blockage or a sign of increased athletic performance, I will find out next week! I was advised to take it easy until then. So I decided to race this morning, which was wonderful through the frost, and even better I won individually and we won as a team!

Typical runner, told he may have a heart condition (and we all know it is the docs being ultra-cautious) and to take it easy so he races

We need more details than that, what race, what distance, what performance?

19/12/2011 at 08:20
I was more worried about the Ironing. Can be a stressful and tiring business, that.

Nice win BTW
21 to 40 of 703 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.