Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Introducing the fourth member of our ASICS Target 26.2 team - Lee (aka Choisty) With Virgin London Marathon Championship qualification as hi...

401 to 420 of 703 messages
16/02/2012 at 19:38
Back from the physio, with good news and bad, the diagnosis is a strained soleus muscle, probably due to the cold weather on Saturday during the long run (-7).

First the bad, no Wokingham this weekend as it would be too soon with the possibility of tearing the muscle

Now the good, it is only a strain so I can still run so long as I am not pushing, so I will learn running easy. Also so long as I follow the advice, which I will, I should be back up to full speed in 10 days.

A progression 6 tomorrow to find the easy pace
16/02/2012 at 20:36
Sorry the birthday wasn't as great as could be but at least the physio gave news that while not ideal could have been worse and at least you can run steadily over the next week and long term it may actually work for you and give the whole body a slight rest before the really hard work in March.
16/02/2012 at 21:56
I thought the soleus muscle was the one in the lower calf? How is that causing you pain in your hip? I know they're all connected eventually, but I am somewhat confused!

How is your wife? And your son's bed? Did you at least get any running gear as a birthday present?
16/02/2012 at 21:59

Mini-Hurray (I think!)

Now don't make me get my waggy finger back out

16/02/2012 at 22:48
That's good news from the physio Lee - sometimes these forced periods of rest can be a blessing in the long run (no pun intended)
16/02/2012 at 23:51
Good news Lee but I have to echo Speedy's comments. Weird for soleus to cause hip pain - presumably some referred pain phenomenon. Not to throw a spanner in the works but presunmably this is a tried and trusted physio ????
17/02/2012 at 09:56

Sppedy & Fraser, it is because I don't always listen intently and after a quick call it is the psoas muscle.  The Physio is very tried and tested, worked with the Aussie cyclists at the Sydney games and had this injury himself.  Appartently very common in ice hockey goalminders!

Wife is fine, well apart from being a bit grumpy!

Son's bed needs a new frame section, which I will have to fashion this weekend instead of Wokingham!

No presents at all (well aprt from the trip to centre parcs) the good thing the competition winners have a fairy godmother at the moment in Stacey from ASICS, so I have all the kit I could wish for and really good kit at that!

I MISS RACING!!!

17/02/2012 at 10:02

Hi Lee.  Just popped in to wish you all the best for Wokingham to discover that like me you are having to stay away

Glad that you are allowed to do some easy running though

17/02/2012 at 10:12
USB, it is proper poop when you are in good shape not to be able to use it, bad luck...we will be back!
17/02/2012 at 10:38

Hi USB - hope all well.

I've had a problem there too and the psoas must be pronounced like Soleus because I too thought they said something like 'solus' to me.

No consolation but Pete, last year's Asics fast runner is sort of your substitute at Wokingham and will be looking for a similar time as you were hoping for!

17/02/2012 at 11:05

Steve, your right no consolation but will look out for his result.

I may have to run a park run when this is healed just to fix my craving for racing, there is a new one about 5 miles from my house so I can run there and back

17/02/2012 at 12:59
Hi Choisty, wishing you a speedy recovery. I know you're so motivated to get better that you will do as you are told by the physio, and Steve
17/02/2012 at 13:03
Hi Steve - gave myself a non-running injury to my toe last week which thankfully seems to be healing quite nicely but I'm not chancing it on a race this weekend.
17/02/2012 at 13:23
Lee - a ha ! Psoas - that makes a bit more sense. Don't stress yourself missing Wokingham - big picture and all that. We've all been there ! Just don't stuff things by doing too much just now
17/02/2012 at 15:18
That was the most relaxed 8miler I have run on forever, really easy, some stiffness no pain, just what the physio ordered
19/02/2012 at 12:27
Lovely 10 miler yesterday and feeling so much better, this morning no reaction, I am now 95% so should be back up to speed next week. Which ends with a weekend working in Paris, time to check out the course me thinks. Question is should I run today?
19/02/2012 at 12:59
I'd suggest you do no more than 4 miles SLOW. But then I never listen to my own advice, so why should you?
19/02/2012 at 20:18
encouraging 10 mile yesterday  - a slow 4 or 5 miles shouldn't have done you any harm - so did you run?
19/02/2012 at 20:27
Lee - no doubt  the forced easy running will work out for the best. Have a good few days enjoying the scenery for once!.
20/02/2012 at 08:34
I see Pete had a decent run at Wokingham, more than lived up to expectations. Time ends in a :5x which are always the good  ones.
Edited: 20/02/2012 at 08:34
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.